Spike Camp

Mountain Lion Attack

danno50

• View Profile
Mountain Lion Attack
« on: February 05, 2019, 09:28:16 PM »
Just thought I'd post a story that could have had a very different ending if just one or two factors had been different. Although sightings are more frequent with the continual onslaught of modern civilization, it's still a small percentage of the population who have actually caught sight of a cougar in the wild. In Texas where I live, I've hunted in two seperate counties where I've been warned that a lion had been seen on the property, although I never saw them. Theres danger when we go out into the wild, whether you're hunting, hiking, camping, or just taking a walk. Always err on the side of cautious safety and prepare yourself and your family on any outing. Like I said, this story could have been very different, and the victim might not have been so fortunate.

https://www.breitbart.com/sports/2019/02/05/colorado-trail-runner-kills-mountain-lion-with-his-bare-hands/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=daily&utm_content=links&utm_campaign=20190205
DosEquisShooter

Re: Mountain Lion Attack
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 04:18:12 AM »
This happened by where l live, in fact l can see the ridge the trail is on from the house.
There are quite a few cats around the area and things like this are rare. Most of time it's a young male, his first winter on his own, the most dangerous cat out there.
Over the years there has been sitings and many trail cam pictures, tracks in the snow etc. For a couple years there was one that on three occasions buried mule deer parts in the soft dirt in the riding arena.
This time of year l take my camera and go up the Poudre canyon which l live at the bottom of and photograph Big Horn sheep. I see cat tracks mixed in the sheep tracks almost every year
Back to the story the runner is very lucky, and must have kept his cool enough to fight back. That said if it had been an adult male l believe the story would have a different ending

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 08:30:30 PM »
Mike, I agree, the guy kept his cool enough to fight back, and if the lion had been a full grown male, who knows. There are a few things you can do to help yourself in some animal attacks, not things I've done, just things I've heard or read. Not much you can do if you're unarmed, but try not to panic, and try to protect the back of your neck, your throat, and head. If its legal to carry a weapon, a small revolver in 38 or 357 to keep it simple, maybe a fixed blade knife, or a walking cane whose handle unsnaps to expose a small dagger. Some walking canes can conceal a sword. If practical, a loud air horn might help, if you are able to see the animal in front of you before an attack, and even a backpack might afford a little protection from claws in the back. There are even fake LED smart phones you can buy that are actually stun guns that pack a powerful electrical shock that can work against two legged and four legged beasts at least enough to make them uncomfortable and back off a bit. The main thing is don't panic and don't turn your back and run because at that point they will pounce on you. Just a few things to think about the next time you or you and the family head out to the woods.
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 04:03:26 AM »
Thanks for the information, some of those l hadn't thought of. Yes l am always armed and most times when hiking there are a couple dogs along.
People ask why l am always armed, l explain if something attacks you in the wild it's not like a Friday night fight outside the bar. Whatever is attacking you is trying to injure or kill you. You had better be ready to win that fight

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 12:04:16 PM »
Here's a video interview with Travis Kaufman the victim of the lion attack in Colorado. I would say fast forward to about the 18 minute part of the video for the attack story.
DosEquisShooter

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 12:07:13 PM »
Sorry forgot to load the video, here it is. (fast forward 18 minutes)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7GJAD3bRfM
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 12:08:52 PM by danno50 »
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2019, 01:07:22 PM »
Amazing guy. Thanks for the story and links Dan.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 03:33:04 AM »
Nearly unbelievable.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 07:55:48 PM »
Yeah, this guy stayed calm, and collected as could be expected under the circumstances. Theres one thing that I thought of that he could have done different while fighting off the lion. (of course this is hind sight on my part, and something that not everyone knows, or if they know, would think about in a crisis) Instead of trying to stab the lion in the neck with the few sticks that were available, trying to stab its nose or eyes may have been more effective.
DosEquisShooter

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 09:49:48 PM »
A finger deep as you could go in the ear and thumb in the eye at the same time.I don't know how anything stays clamped on you while you are doing that,but I hope I never get to find out if it works.

In an attack like this you can't go on the defensive.You have to go on the offense and attack back.

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

Grouchy

• Life is too important to take serious" Groucho
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2019, 02:51:50 PM »
We have the same critter here in Florida called "everglades panther" . interesting reading!

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2020, 02:51:11 PM »
We have mountain lion sightings here fairly regularly, at least a couple times each year. Not at all uncommon for the school district to send out letters shortly before school starts, that they have been sighted on school grounds.

We also see a fair number of bears each year wandering through the 'hood.

Gotta love living at altitude in the Rockies.
Jerry - NRA Life Member
SASS Member
BPCR - .40-65, .45-110
MTARNG 63N - Track Vehicle Mechanic
Army 19E - M48/M60 Gunner & Commander
Army 19K - M1 Abrams Gunner & Commander

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2020, 08:25:42 PM »
One was killed 7 miles East of Tuscola,Texas a few weeks ago.That area is not "wild" country at all.The houses aren't sitting on top of each other either,but it is a well settled area.

Remember 10534

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2020, 07:28:31 PM »
Is there other ways to hunt mountain lion besides using dogs? Like can you bait, call or use decoys for them?
It is a dream of mine to hunt one, one day but I don't want to use dogs.
Aussie gun nut.