Spike Camp

New to Weatherby

New to Weatherby
« on: February 06, 2019, 08:16:16 AM »
Hello all, I think Iím in the right place to gain some info about weatherbyís. So I was at my gun shop yesterday and they had a German made mark v for sale, and it seemed like a prettt decent price compared to some of the prices Iíve seen. I put it on layaway and will soon be the owner of this rifle. Is there anything I need to know about these, such as things that might need service, since it is an older gun?

224KING

• View Profile
Re: New to Weatherby
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 08:33:39 AM »
Good barrel cleaning.What caliber is it?
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 08:37:41 AM »
Itís a .300 wby mag

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 08:51:35 AM »
Can't think of anything to tell you other than clean the barrel good with a great copper solvent before you ever start shooting it.It will take a few rounds to foul it some after it's cleaned,but after that you should be able to shoot some groups with different ammo and see what it likes best.If it's in really nice condition it probably hasn't been hunted or fired enough to have been hurt in any way.The 300's with 24 inch barrels kick a bit more than the 26 inch models just because of the weight difference.What scope will you put on it?Does it have bases and rings already?
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 09:40:46 AM »
The bore looks almost spotless, and it actually Comes with a Redfield mounted on it. Will likely swap that for something else though

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 09:59:04 AM »
Like I said earlier if it looks great on the outside after all this time then it probably hasn't been shot much or at least has a very low round count.With an old Redfield on it I'd bet that it's in the state that it was when it left the gun shop that sold it.

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 10:06:50 AM »
Good to know! Iíll update with photos when I get my hands on it

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2019, 01:15:15 PM »
Congrats on your first Weatherby. And as us regular Weatherby fans know, it won't be your last lol.
Aussie gun nut.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2019, 01:43:43 PM »
Congrats on a fine rifle & caliber.  Welcome to the Nation.

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2019, 02:48:19 PM »
Thanks everyone! Iím excited, I read somewhere that you should put a short relief scope on these because of recoil. Is this true?

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2019, 03:46:30 PM »
Congratulations on your first Weatherby!!
You will want a scope with a 4" eye relief.
Redfield  made a good scope in those days. Optics's have came a long way in the last few years though
Mike

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2019, 03:54:15 PM »
Welcome to the Nation! You've received good advice so far. Only things I can add are:
This rifle probably has a 1:12 twist, so heavier (longer) bullets may not stabilize. You'll likely be fine with stuff up to 180gr, but if you get strange results, maybe try shorter bullets.

Check the trigger housing to be sure it isn't cracked. Some of the German rifles had issues with the trigger and it can become unsafe if the housing cracks.

And, yes, you will want a scope with at least 3.5" of eye relief, and 4" is better. That's not short eye relief, though. If you put a short eye relief scope (3" or so) you'll very likely get a scope scar over your eye.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2019, 04:35:32 PM »
Congratulations.Those older Redfields were good glass in their day.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

Blackbear3

• In God We Trust!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2019, 04:54:09 PM »
Welcome and Congratulations, looking forward to seeing your Bee and your range results. Start saving your money, there addicting!!
We stand for the Flag, and we kneel for the fallen!!!

Doug-NRA Life Member

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2019, 05:00:24 PM »
I wouldn't hesitate to use that old Redfield scope, they're one of my favorites, and I buy them whenever I come across one in good shape.  Yeah optics have come a long way over the years but these scopes still get the job done.  Good luck with your new rifle.
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.