Spike Camp

Do you remember this problem?

juan

• View Profile
Do you remember this problem?
« on: February 06, 2019, 09:34:34 AM »
Hello. Time ago, I dont remember exactly when, I post a photo showing the ball handle of the bolt of my rifle place where paint or blue glass was going out. In that oportunity I asked what coult I do with I have that problem. I know I have to send to a gunsmith to reblue that piece but here there is not serious professional or I dont know someone. In middle of this, I made the following. I painted the ball of the handle of the bolt only. Only the ball or extreme of the handle with sintethic glass black paint. Before this, I polished that part. Then I put it a seconds on fire, only a seconds, and finally I oiled it. I did it some time ago and it looks fine and with durability for some time. I will post images before work and after.
Thanks for your oportunities advices on it item. Salutes. (first imagen before, second image now)
Juan, from Argentina
Why make things easy if you can make it difficult?

Re: Do you remember this problem?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 09:41:26 AM »
Looks good. You do good work Juan.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 09:51:57 AM »
Looks good. You do good work Juan.
[/quoteLOL Roger.
 No no no. Only for daring and hardheaded Roger. Thank you very much
Much times I did beautifull and good things. Another I crash a lot for that cause. Huggs friend Roger.
Juan

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 01:12:36 PM »
Looks the good Juan. You fixed it up perfectly.
Aussie gun nut.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 05:06:08 PM »
Good DIY work Juan. Did it take more than one try to get it right?   
DosEquisShooter

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 03:01:19 AM »
Good DIY work Juan. Did it take more than one try to get it right?
Hello Danno. Gloss black paint in handle ball take colour very soon. Two hands and then a little polishment. I hope this work be well for a long time. If it is not I will repeat the same work. I prefer that to try with any not responsable people here. They are able to crash my bolt over hot the pin spring and it would be fatal and not the  medicine or repait I am looking for. Can you understand me? Are clears an undernstables my words? Thanks
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 03:48:10 AM by juan »

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 07:08:04 AM »
Good work. I would also go with the cold blue, or paint, and not use the heat method to keep it simple. Over time it may fade, but it will be a while before you have to repeat the work. Humidity, sweat from the hands, and just continual (continua uso) use will put the wear on the bolt handle, but if the work holds up for a couple of years, its worth it to keep it simple. You always make your point with questions and answers,  so your english translation is not a problem. Again, good work, and Salutes
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 07:23:52 AM »
Juan, if that does not hold up, you can use Birchwood Casey cold blue. When I use it, I sand to 2000 grit then 0000 steel wool to polish first. You apply the cold blue generously and then wash off with water and repeat this over and over until you get it as deep and dark as you want. When you have it where you want it, then card it off with a carding brush and polish it with 0000 steel wool. It's a lot more work than paint but much more durable if done right.
Weatherby Rifles:
M5 USA .257
M5 USA 6.5-300
M5 USA 300
M5 German 300
M5 .308 TRR
VG .308
VG 270
Other:
Win M70 30-06
Brn XBolt HC Speed 300 WSM
McMil G30 Dynasty 270 WSM
Ber B-14 HMR 6.5 CM
Mar 1895 SBL 45-70
Win 94 pre 64 30-30
4 AR-15 Match 5.56
2 AR-15 Match Wylde .223
1 AR-10 Match .308

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2019, 08:09:45 AM »
Good work. I would also go with the cold blue, or paint, and not use the heat method to keep it simple. Over time it may fade, but it will be a while before you have to repeat the work. Humidity, sweat from the hands, and just continual (continua uso) use will put the wear on the bolt handle, but if the work holds up for a couple of years, its worth it to keep it simple. You always make your point with questions and answers,  so your english translation is not a problem. Again, good work, and Salutes
Danno. I am here again to anwser your words. First thank you. The mistery is that rifle is nine years old and I am his first owner. That rifle didnt was used much. Only for hunt. You eill see practically without use. I think is sweat in hands of a friend of mine who always repeats my hands damage every gun by that motive. Thanks again Danno

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2019, 08:12:15 AM »
Juan, if that does not hold up, you can use Birchwood Casey cold blue. When I use it, I sand to 2000 grit then 0000 steel wool to polish first. You apply the cold blue generously and then wash off with water and repeat this over and over until you get it as deep and dark as you want. When you have it where you want it, then card it off with a carding brush and polish it with 0000 steel wool. It's a lot more work than paint but much more durable if done right.
Thank you Deserthunter. Now a questions. Your sign is guns you own? Really congrats for you.  :)

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2019, 08:16:45 AM »
Thank you Deserthunter. Now a questions. Your sign is guns you own? Really congrats for you.  :)

Yes, those are guns I own, Thank you..
Weatherby Rifles:
M5 USA .257
M5 USA 6.5-300
M5 USA 300
M5 German 300
M5 .308 TRR
VG .308
VG 270
Other:
Win M70 30-06
Brn XBolt HC Speed 300 WSM
McMil G30 Dynasty 270 WSM
Ber B-14 HMR 6.5 CM
Mar 1895 SBL 45-70
Win 94 pre 64 30-30
4 AR-15 Match 5.56
2 AR-15 Match Wylde .223
1 AR-10 Match .308

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2019, 08:45:37 PM »
So, what type of paint did Juan use, that he put it "in the fire."  Did he use a type of powder coat, or some type of baked on enamel.  MM

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2019, 09:00:36 PM »
I think that he warmed the polished bolt knob in the fire before he painted it.
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2019, 03:00:05 AM »
I think that he warmed the polished bolt knob in the fire before he painted it.
Yes sir. I warmed crank knob only a little. Then paint it carefully two times. Lastly a little of lak and finally a little polishment. Oiled it too at final. I hope it work good sometime Salutes
Juan