Spike Camp

Big Bend Texas Mountain Javelina Hunt

DW5

• View Profile
Re: Big Bend Texas Mountain Javelina Hunt
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2019, 10:28:12 PM »
If you taste the scat maybe you can narrow down what they are eating. ;) ;D

I question if you are being as sincere as Zonie... :D
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

zonie

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2019, 10:34:25 PM »
Big Muddy Rancher  lol  ;D  that was pretty good.   I don't care to walk a lot any more so I tend to drive the roads, trails and glass,  we can cover a lot more ground that way,  but once found the walking starts.  Hunting Javelina is actually fun.  Any quail down there? 

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2019, 10:36:38 PM »
Big Muddy Rancher  lol  ;D  that was pretty good.   I don't care to walk a lot any more so I tend to drive the roads, trails and glass,  we can cover a lot more ground that way,  but once found the walking starts.  Hunting Javelina is actually fun.  Any quail down there?

Not sure how plentiful but yes, we’ve jumped two coveys so far.

zonie

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2019, 10:52:43 PM »
When you do get one be careful not to cut into that musk gland on their top of their back rump area,  easy to see looks like a nipple, just don't cut into it.  Stinky little guy's

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2019, 10:59:49 PM »
When you do get one be careful not to cut into that musk gland on their top of their back rump area,  easy to see looks like a nipple, just don't cut into it.  Stinky little guy's

Been worried about doing that. Thanks for the heads up about looking like a nipple. Really hoping to avoid it.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2019, 04:30:28 AM »
I don't know what to tell you about hunting them where you are.In the Winter time and while hunting them out West around Sonora, and Barnhart I had the most luck driving the high flats.For some reason they seemed to like the edges of the ranch roads especially where the cactus was thick like Zonie said.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 04:32:38 AM by 224KING »
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2019, 08:15:13 AM »
Is today the last day of the hunt (Sat.) or is the hunt over and you're on your way home?

DosEquisShooter

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2019, 08:18:59 AM »
Take care of snakes. Place looks like terrtory that bastards are a lot. Here in Pampas we have four kind of very dangerous snakes. Yarara. Cross Yarara.  Coral and Cascabel. Thats shits are very agresive or active in hot days. I use a whitewater gaitors bought from your country. Be a lucky man boy. Salutes
Why make things easy if you can make it difficult?

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2019, 09:13:35 AM »
Is today the last day of the hunt (Sat.) or is the hunt over and you're on your way home?

Today is the last day. We took it pretty easy this morning since we have only found one seemingly promising spot they may be and do not want to jeopardize ruining  it until we think it is prime time to hunt it, which will be this afternoon.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2019, 09:37:33 AM »
Take care of snakes. Place looks like terrtory that bastards are a lot. Here in Pampas we have four kind of very dangerous snakes. Yarara. Cross Yarara.  Coral and Cascabel. Thats shits are very agresive or active in hot days. I use a whitewater gaitors bought from your country. Be a lucky man boy. Salutes

Thank you Juan! Not gonna lie, I don’t think our chances are great this afternoon, but I like having a plan based off some sort of javelina sign. Was kinda beginning to feel like I was just out taking my rifle for a walk through the mountains before Dad found the scat area.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2019, 10:11:47 AM »
If theres absolutely no water holes anywhere in the area, also look for heavily shaded areas or mesquite trees that may be adjacent to heavy cacti growth. Theres little movement during the heat of the day. All the javelinas I've seen, or shot, I was always walking or riding down senderos, or at my feeder during deer season. Just never actively hunted javelina, so not much else to add except good luck this afternoon.   
DosEquisShooter

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2019, 03:38:54 PM »
Wow, that is some tough terrain.  Didn't know TX has mountains like that.  Learn something every day.  LOL!!!!!
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2019, 08:00:08 PM »
Well the javelina hunt was a bust as far as success goes, not even a sighting of one. But a good time was had none the less. We decided to take off this evening and get some miles behind us on the trip home. Below are a few pictures I took in the town of Marfa TX. One is of some of the art work that they are becoming known for, one a historic marker concerning Prisidio County TX, and the last is one of the famous Marfa lights! I don’t really see what all the fuss is about personally... :D

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2019, 08:25:59 PM »
Bummer on the hunt.Glad you guys had fun anyway. At least you didn't run into any human or drug smuggling operations.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2019, 08:39:10 PM »
Our guide was a local cop in Presidio and man did he have some stories to tell about that, including finding copious amounts of drugs either on or very close to the property we were hunting and one dead body on it.