Spike Camp

Big Bend Texas Mountain Javelina Hunt

Re: Big Bend Texas Mountain Javelina Hunt
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2019, 08:56:17 PM »
Our guide was a local cop in Presidio and man did he have some stories to tell about that, including finding copious amounts of drugs either on or very close to the property we were hunting and one dead body on it.
That could explain the lack of javelinas.

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2019, 10:13:09 PM »
Yeah that is a wild area down on the border there DW. Nice to have a Weatherby with you and a side arm.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2019, 03:51:13 AM »
God know what he does. No matter no javelinas. Yours are good and without problems. Badlands. Forget that place. It is in order what I have understood. At final you must to think luck and God were with you. Bye friend
Juan
Why make things easy if you can make it difficult?

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2019, 06:04:13 AM »
Wow that light is something, almost worth the trip in itself  :o

Joking aside, going on a new hunt in a new place is always an adventure. Some work out and some don't. You guys had fun and seen some new country, and a story to tell.
Have a safe trip home, and start planning your next adventure!!

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2019, 07:47:30 AM »
Great hunt. thanks for taking us along. Funny about the light, when people come to visit me I tell them to turn right at the stop light on main street and if they go through a stop light turn around because that's the only one on main street. A couple of years back they replaced the hanging light with all new pole lights when they could no longer get parts for the old one. Speed limit in my town is 25 mph. The hardest thing for me was timing my pull outs into traffic because everybody here seems to observe the speed limit.
Mark V Deluxe .257,6.5-300,300
Mark V Tactical 338 Lapua, .308
Tikka T3x Light 22-250
Ber B-14 HMR 6.5 CM
Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70
Win 94 30-30
AR-15 Match 5.56
AR-15 Match Wylde .223
AR-10 Match .308
WASR-10/63 AK47 7.62x57
Russian SKS 7.62x57
Turkish Mauser 8mm
UZI Mini Pistol 9mm
Barrett M82A1 50BMG

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2019, 08:35:41 AM »
Thanks for sharing your hunt, sometimes the best part of the hunt is the characters you run into and the scenery you encounter.
Doug

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2019, 10:22:32 AM »
Well DW, The adventure part was well worth the trip. I'da been looking over my shoulder every few minutes.  :) How did you know that this area around Presidio was available to hunt, and was it a public hunting area? Did you have to check in with anyone prior to the start of the hunt. I know you're still in Texas, just curious about the set-up? Even though you weren't able to score on any javelina, the DIY unsupervised hunt with your dad into a vast area like that is a trek to remember, and a little spooky I'd bet. Kudos
DosEquisShooter

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2019, 12:16:44 PM »
Well DW, The adventure part was well worth the trip. I'da been looking over my shoulder every few minutes.  :) How did you know that this area around Presidio was available to hunt, and was it a public hunting area? Did you have to check in with anyone prior to the start of the hunt. I know you're still in Texas, just curious about the set-up? Even though you weren't able to score on any javelina, the DIY unsupervised hunt with your dad into a vast area like that is a trek to remember, and a little spooky I'd bet. Kudos

Danno, I found this place on a recommendation from Cbloom20. It is a 6000 acre ranch that is primarily an Aoudad ranch offered through West Texas Hunting Org. Since we were just after javelina, I paid a few hundred bucks and had the entire ranch to ourselves Thursday-Saturday.

I was probably just as much interested in seeing that part of Texas (closest I’d been was Alpine, TX during college) and having a place like that to ourselves than I was in strictly hunting the javelinas. Since I knew it was going to be in a very remote place I went ahead and paid some extra money to have a “guide” take me to the property the first day and give me a 20min-half hour orientation. After that, we were on our own. Camping was permitted on the property but we chose to drive about 30 mins each way to and from Presidio, the closest actual town.
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2019, 12:27:01 PM »
DW.Did you see much wildlife other than the quails you mentioned earlier,aoudad,deer?
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2019, 12:27:49 PM »
God know what he does. No matter no javelinas. Yours are good and without problems. Badlands. Forget that place. It is in order what I have understood. At final you must to think luck and God were with you. Bye friend
Juan

You are right Juan! On to the next adventure! Turkey season is coming up and I’m sure I’ll be after the feral pigs several times this spring and summer. I believe I may set my sights on an axis deer hunt as the next thing I want to look into as far as booking a hunt goes.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2019, 12:29:53 PM »
Wow that light is something, almost worth the trip in itself  :o

Joking aside, going on a new hunt in a new place is always an adventure. Some work out and some don't. You guys had fun and seen some new country, and a story to tell.
Have a safe trip home, and start planning your next adventure!!

That’s the plan!

For those who may not be familiar with the Marfa Lights we are talking about...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marfa_lights

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2019, 12:34:23 PM »
DW.Did you see much wildlife other than the quails you mentioned earlier,aoudad,deer?

No! And we put 5-8 miles in a day. The quail and two jackrabbits, that’s it.  This place is vast however, and you get the feeling that sometimes there may be animals on your specific property and sometimes they are a ridge or two over. Makes the animals no concern but all the difference in the world for a couple of hunters. We did see plent of scat and tracks for both deer and javelinas.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 12:41:12 PM by DW5 »

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2019, 12:55:33 PM »
I do not understand your last post when you say plent of scat an words before too. Sorry. Salutes
Why make things easy if you can make it difficult?

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2019, 12:57:39 PM »
Another thing I will add, the .240 Wilderness with the lightweight swaro Z3 was an absolute pleasure to carry on a hunt like that. If y’all remember I bought the rifle a few years back to have a capable rifle in my stable that was a little lighter on the recoil side than what I had then so younger/first time hunters could use it if need be. At first I was gonna get a .243win in something a little cheaper but ended up killing two birds with one stone and more or less accomplishing my original goal and filling in a Weatherby cal I didn’t have at the time.

I’m now really glad I did that b/c I’ve since got my Ruger M77 chambered in 257bob back from my brother in law and that rifle is great for new/young hunters. Now I have a lightweight rifle that is easy to carry around the steep stuff that I would have no worries about using on mule deer sized game on down.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2019, 01:03:40 PM »
I do not understand your last post when you say plent of scat an words before too. Sorry. Salutes

Juan, I was saying we witnessed much evidence that animals are on the property we hunted but did not see any actual animals. Scat= animal poop. Tracks= foot prints. No apologies necessary! Please let me know if I can ever clarify any of my posts, I am happy to do it!

God Bless from Texas and I hope to read about one of your hunts in Argentina soon!

DW