Spike Camp

An Affordable Custom Rifle option?

An Affordable Custom Rifle option?
« on: February 07, 2019, 08:58:40 PM »
I keep wondering why it seems no major rifle company offers a,  you choose it how you want it, and we build it option?

you pick the standard rifle package they already offer, ie, the ULW, the accumark, and so on...

and you could pick the barrel length and contour...

also the cartridge,

I see it all the time... love the rifle, but I want 24" barrel instead of 26", or I want the 243win with a 24" barrel, not a 22"

also I'd rather have say a #3 contour 24" barrel than a 26" #2 contour of the same weight...

Just seems to me, would be easy for a company to accomplish... without charging a full custom rifle price.

essentially mostly what I personally am asking for a is a choose the exact barrel you want... contour, length, cartridge, twist rate.

Would be awesome!

wink wink Weatherby...

Re: An Affordable Custom Rifle option?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 05:23:24 AM »
I keep wondering why it seems no major rifle company offers a,  you choose it how you want it, and we build it option?

you pick the standard rifle package they already offer, ie, the ULW, the accumark, and so on...

and you could pick the barrel length and contour...

also the cartridge,

I see it all the time... love the rifle, but I want 24" barrel instead of 26", or I want the 243win with a 24" barrel, not a 22"

also I'd rather have say a #3 contour 24" barrel than a 26" #2 contour of the same weight...

Just seems to me, would be easy for a company to accomplish... without charging a full custom rifle price.

essentially mostly what I personally am asking for a is a choose the exact barrel you want... contour, length, cartridge, twist rate.

Would be awesome!

wink wink Weatherby...

I think Remington still has their custom shop though I don't have anything custom from them. There are a lot of small custom builder outfits out there but I've only used a couple (JRE to rebore a Springfield to 35 Whelen, and a local shop for some custom blueing).

I've used ER Shaw way back when for 2 custom rifle builds. Both of these were using Mauser 98 actions I purchased separately and sent in. Then I called and worked with Chris, and got a quote for the work I wanted them to do which included:
  • provide barrel to my specs (length, twist, contour, etc.)
  • install barrel and chamber + headspace + test fire
  • lap lugs
  • forge and polish bolt handle
  • drill and tap for scope mounts

From that point, I outsourced the polishing and blueing. I did the stock work. I installed Timney triggers. I replaced the military shroud with a commercial shroud (bolt), and I did the optics setups.

It's really all about how much time and money you want to dedicate. I like custom rifles though. Roy Weatherby's first Mark Vs were build on Mauser 98 actions.  ;)

Custom stuff isn't cheap though. It costs me more to have a custom rifle built even with me doing the work outlined above than a decent new Winchester or Remington wood stocked rifle.
JW

240 Wby Mag - Mauser 98 w/ ER Shaw Barrel 26"
257 Wby Mag - Vanguard Synthetic (Changed to walnut stock)
6.5-300 Wby Mag - Vanguard Synthetic Series II 26"
270 Wby Mag - Mark V Sporter
7mm Wby Mag - Mark V Sporter
300 Wby Mag - Vanguard Synthetic (Changed to walnut stock)

Re: An Affordable Custom Rifle option?
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 05:49:44 AM »

I think if you put it into perspective, production rifles are a culmination of what the manufacturer has deemed best for the intended use of the rifle while still remaining within the budget of the intended end user. That said, you would need to do a lot of your own testing in order to determine the difference between what you think you want and what is actually optimal given your intended use.

Reading on the internet about different peoples experiences is a way to get an idea (ball park) of what might work for you but it is not a very good way to build a custom rifle because people that are on the internet are not always the experts they claim to be. Internet advisors are often adamant about the facts that they present but when you follow their advice you suddenly realize that it was probably some troll sitting in his mothers basement and just passing on bad information that they dug up using a search engine.

You can pretty much build a custom Weatherby on the Weatherby website but it will still be a rifle that fits into the Weatherby tested parameters. I think you'll find that any major manufacturer that offers a custom rifle build will offer similar options. Why? Because they know what they are offering will work and have done the testing to be able to stand behind the product that results from the customizations.
Weatherby Rifles:
M5 USA .257
M5 USA 6.5-300
M5 USA 300
M5 German 300
M5 .308 TRR
VG .308
VG 270
Other:
Win M70 30-06
Brn XBolt HC Speed 300 WSM
McMil G30 Dynasty 270 WSM