Spike Camp

Losing faith in weatherby

Losing faith in weatherby
« on: February 10, 2019, 04:55:20 AM »
 My family and I have been weatherby customers and fans through 3 generations. We thankfully have never needed customer service for our numerous rifles......until now. My 83 yr old Dad had a case rupture in his mark v deluxe 378. Yes, I said 378 and yes, that is what he shoots at 83 years old. Anyway, it has been 3 months and numerous emails and still the gun has not even been looked at.  It is hard for me to explain to a man that has promoted weatherby for 50 years that they have not even looked at his beloved rifle yet.  I always get a prompt email reply but, just to say they are slow with the move.  Weatherby can not throw customers to the wind just because they are going through a change.  This to me is unacceptable and irresponsible as a higher end firearms company.  I hope to be proven wrong

Weatherby-SL

• Tony
    • View Profile
Re: Losing faith in weatherby
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 05:56:07 AM »
While it is totally frustrating not to get instant service you might want to cut them a little more slack. If for no other reason than the good service your products have given you and your family for all that time.

You are obviously aware of their move so you have to know that they are trying to get to each customer as soon as possible.

In the meantime I'll bet more of us, than just me, would like to hear about the other Weatherby's in the family and more about that great 83 year old  .378 shootin' man! Welcome to the Nation!

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 07:02:41 AM »
Thanks for the quick replies, I am optimistic that everything will turn out fine. It is just challenging to explain to my Dad that his rifle is not fixed yet. He is a huge Weatherby fan and said if Roy was still alive, he would call him. Haha... Current Weatherby calibers- 22, 257,300,378 in numerous rifles.

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 07:09:48 AM »
Dad uses the 22 for squirrels in his bird feeder and the 378 for everything else. Still hunting deer and black bear in the north east at age 83. The 378 might be a little overkill, but he doesn't like tracking at his age. Myself 300, my sons 257 and 300.

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 07:37:20 AM »
My family and I have been weatherby customers and fans through 3 generations. We thankfully have never needed customer service for our numerous rifles......until now. My 83 yr old Dad had a case rupture in his mark v deluxe 378. Yes, I said 378 and yes, that is what he shoots at 83 years old. Anyway, it has been 3 months and numerous emails and still the gun has not even been looked at.  It is hard for me to explain to a man that has promoted weatherby for 50 years that they have not even looked at his beloved rifle yet.  I always get a prompt email reply but, just to say they are slow with the move.  Weatherby can not throw customers to the wind just because they are going through a change.  This to me is unacceptable and irresponsible as a higher end firearms company.  I hope to be proven wrong

I believe they told you the turn around time would be 6 months before you sent it in. That is what they've told me on a couple of occasions now and they were very strong about ensuring that I understood what turn around time meant.
Mark V Deluxe .257,6.5-300,300
Mark V Tactical 338 Lapua, .308
Tikka T3x Light 22-250
Ber B-14 HMR 6.5 CM
Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70
Win 94 30-30
AR-15 Match 5.56
AR-15 Match Wylde .223
AR-10 Match .308
WASR-10/63 AK47 7.62x57
Russian SKS 7.62x57
Turkish Mauser 8mm
UZI Mini Pistol 9mm
Barrett M82A1 50BMG

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 07:57:55 AM »
Why is a case rupture a rifle problem?
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 08:09:36 AM »
Why are you emailing them and not calling?  Maybe I'm showing my age but I've found it's always better to call a company and speak with someone rather sending an email that goes to God know's who and when they'll get around to reading it.
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 08:20:17 AM »
Why is a case rupture a rifle problem?

+1.. Go to Lowe's, buy a hard wood dowel, punch it out and get back to shooting. No waiting and no complaining.
Mark V Deluxe .257,6.5-300,300
Mark V Tactical 338 Lapua, .308
Tikka T3x Light 22-250
Ber B-14 HMR 6.5 CM
Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70
Win 94 30-30
AR-15 Match 5.56
AR-15 Match Wylde .223
AR-10 Match .308
WASR-10/63 AK47 7.62x57
Russian SKS 7.62x57
Turkish Mauser 8mm
UZI Mini Pistol 9mm
Barrett M82A1 50BMG

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 09:25:14 AM »
Question
By ruptured case, is part of the case still in the chamber?
Did it rupture by the base partially and the whole case ejected when you opened the bolt?
With a little more information some of guys on here could maybe help

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 09:35:04 AM »
It sounds like Weatherby already has the gun to me.  :)

Yes after re-reading the original post l think your right.

zonie

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2019, 10:06:55 AM »
Just out of curiosity as others have asked.  Is part of the case still in the chamber ?  Were they re-loads ? the only reason I asked that is if it were new factory ammo Weatherby ought to be told about it so they can take appropriate actions.   Has Weatherby contacted you other than e-mails ?  I agree get a person on the phone and write their name/s  down for later reference , and ask questions as to  what to expect, what they are going to do and what was the cause  of the rupture when they find out.   E-mail is great for a hard copy  and for important things you should use it,  but the phone is personal.    Who knows  how backed up Weatherby is

Buckleman

• B-MAN
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2019, 11:30:19 AM »
How old is the ammo? Was barrel clean and dry?

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2019, 12:16:38 PM »
I talked to a gentleman in the Custom shop last week and he said they were not excepting anything else until the last of March or first of April.He talked like then the waits would be back to normal.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2019, 02:58:32 PM »
First, weatherby did not say 6 months for turn around. I would have considered that a ridiculous timeline for service. We have many brands of guns never have i heard of nor experienced such a statement of 6 months for service from any.  Second, a case rupture is a rifle problem because the stock split in two spots and the magazine blew out of the bottom. Third and finally, I e-mail because it is 2019, and I get quick responses that way. I personally have experienced timely firearm turn around from ruger, remington, and savage. These are all value priced brands I relize, but they seem to keep customer service a priority.  All I am saying is a premium priced rifle should come with premium and timely service. The rifle is in their hands now so....timely it will not be, but premium in terms of craftsmanship is left to be seen.

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2019, 03:06:01 PM »
The case head had a partial seperation and was easily removed. As for what caused it I'm not sure. It was an older reload, possibly overworked brass
 Like I said before my Dad is 83 and I was not present during the shot, thankfully he was not hurt.