Spike Camp

Losing faith in weatherby

juan

• View Profile
Re: Losing faith in weatherby
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2019, 09:20:44 AM »
Sorry, I am not belong to your country and I dont have the authority to talk about your things, companies, warranties, post sales services, companies, etc, etc, etc. But seing all this posts and damages on that gun, me than you, willl be considering seriously in buying another rifle. I would conserve trigger, screws, nuts, pin may be, springs, slings, scopemounts, and another guns parts  from that gun for backup.
That gun is deadly hurt and Weatherby as anothers Companies cannot do miracles.
Be lucky.
Juan, from Argentina
Why make things easy if you can make it difficult?

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2019, 12:00:30 PM »
I'v been out of the loop for a bit and just stumbled on this post. I have to say that while I fully understand sentimental value in a firearm and the desire to put it back in service, personally, I would not want to see it used again if me and my Dad (deceased) were in this situation. The safety and accuracy of future use seem questionable, based on the descriptions of the damage. Of course the stock is a goner, but there could be microscopic cracks in the steel invisible to the naked eye, not to mention that chamber tolerances may be crap after all that pressure. I would chalk it up to experience as an oops, retire this gun, get a new rifle and be careful with the reloads in the future.

X2
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2019, 03:01:35 PM »
From the damage you described I agree that it's a very safe bet the rifle is destroyed.  Yeah it's sad that a rifle with such sentamental value is ruined beyond repair but the good part is no one was hurt.  I don't know if you were aware Weatherby is in the middle of moving their entire company to an entirely different state so as much as we don't like the fact that certain operations such as repairs and customer service aren't up to the normal Weatherby standard it's some what expected and I'm sure it will return the the high level we've all received in the past and come to expect.  As for emailing them yeah it's more convenient however I wouldn't address an issue such as this through email at least initially.  Maybe a phone call takes more time but it's a lot easier to talk with an actual person rather than sending emails back and forth when a new question comes up.
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2019, 03:37:04 PM »
I was contacted by weatherby today and they said the rifle is not fixable. They offered for us to buy one at dealer cost, unfortunately their dealer cost is more than is available through on line gun shops. I guess we will be thankful in the fact there were no injuries, and replace the rifle through a dealer. Thanks for all the replies, have a nice day.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2019, 03:44:54 PM »
Hey Rifleman8, I know some of the responses on this thread may have seemed a little bit less than understanding, especially from your point of view. Iíd like to say thank you for coming back on and letting everyone know the resolution to the situation, and doing so in a respectful manner. Not that you havenít always been, just seen these type of things go sideways before.

Sincerely hope you guys find another rifle for your dad that, while not being able to ever replace the old oneís personal value, hopefully he and you can make some new special memories with. Hope itís another Weatherby too. Good luck sir!
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

Grouchy

• Let those without sin cast the first stone
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2019, 03:47:22 PM »
Hey Rifleman8, I know some of the responses on this thread may have seemed a little bit less than understanding, especially from your point of view. Iíd like to say thank you for coming back on and letting everyone know the resolution to the situation, and doing so in a respectful manner. Not that you havenít always been, just seen these type of things go sideways before.

Sincerely hope you guys find another rifle for your dad that, while not being able to ever replace the old oneís personal value, hopefully he and you can make some new special memories with. Hope itís another Weatherby too. Good luck sir!
  +1  I'm just wondering how long was the gun in Weaterby's  hands?

Blackbear3

• In God We Trust!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2019, 04:01:23 PM »
Thanks for the update Rifleman8, sorry your fathers Weatherby is not fixable.
We stand for the Flag, and we kneel for the fallen!!!

Doug-NRA Life Member

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2019, 04:09:38 PM »
Bummer your dad's rifle was not fixable.  On the bright side, if it was another manufacturer's action, the result could have catastrophic, luckily he was shooting a Mark V.  Hopefully you'll become a regular member of the Nation, and share some of your dad's stories with his rifle.  Good luck to you sir finding your dad a new rifle.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2019, 04:14:50 PM »

Here Here
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2019, 04:22:34 PM »
+2
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2019, 04:36:29 PM »
+3

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2019, 04:56:45 PM »
+4

257 Shooter

• 257 Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2019, 05:14:03 PM »
+5. The bright side is everyone still has all their body parts. It would be worthwhile to determine how such a high pressure load was created, for future safety.

« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2019, 05:56:45 PM »
I truly am sorry that you're dad lost his favorite rifle. You may have lost the rifle as a shooting rifle but you have not lost it's sentimental value. Why don't you take some time and patch it back together and turn it into a wall hanger that you and your dad can look at and remember all the wonderful times you and he had with it. Stories will abound with every glance I'm sure.
Weatherby Rifles:
M5 USA .257
M5 USA 6.5-300
M5 USA 300
M5 German 300
M5 .308 TRR
VG .308
VG 270
Other:
Win M70 30-06
Brn XBolt HC Speed 300 WSM
McMil G30 Dynasty 270 WSM
Ber B-14 HMR 6.5 CM
Mar 1895 SBL 45-70
Win 94 pre 64 30-30
4 AR-15 Match 5.56
2 AR-15 Match Wylde .223
1 AR-10 Match .308

« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2019, 02:28:17 AM »
I originally came to this forum to find out some info on lead times and weatherby customer service practices. My comments were met with some animosity by a few, I want to clarify the weatherby brand has been served our family well and it's not personal. Moving on from that I have some more insight to the rifle blowing up. After talking over weatherbys findings with my Dad, he said mixed ammo and bad eyes could have been the culprit. I have not seen the removed case, but he said there was some 375 h&h mixed in with the 378w. I'll try to find out more, I have to tread lightly with a proud 83 yr old. Thanks again, for the positve comments and concerns.