Spike Camp

How long has it been sense you have shot your favorite Rifles.

How long has it been sense you have shot your favorite Rifles.
« on: February 10, 2019, 11:15:20 AM »
I am asking this question. Because I was loading A test batch of 3 - 375 H&H and as I scrolled through the memory of my charge master 1500 I didnt have any saved loads for it. So I went through my boxed ammo and the last time I loaded 300 gr. Partition was in 2006. I know I have shot some solids out of it sense then. But really dont know for sure when at least 3 or 4 years. But in the last 10 years I journal most everything on the targets. And there was only 1 target in the folder with no load data.
I know I baby this Rifle Its A 1948 Win model 70
And they only have so many shots in the original barrel. But I Will take her out the next time theres decent weather on the weekend.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 11:25:56 AM by grizzly340 »
Mark

Re: How long has it been sense you have shot your favorite Rifles.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 12:29:08 PM »
Nice rifle Mark. What scope are you using and what kind of groups do you get?
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 01:14:50 PM »
Very nice rifle!  What is your favorite powder with this 375 H&H, and what's the story behind this rifle???
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 01:18:40 PM »
Beautiful rifle, I can understand why you baby it.
Mark V Deluxe .257,6.5-300,300
Mark V Tactical 338 Lapua, .308
Tikka T3x Light 22-250
Ber B-14 HMR 6.5 CM
Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70
Win 94 30-30
AR-15 Match 5.56
AR-15 Match Wylde .223
AR-10 Match .308
WASR-10/63 AK47 7.62x57
Russian SKS 7.62x57
Turkish Mauser 8mm
UZI Mini Pistol 9mm
Barrett M82A1 50BMG

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 01:22:13 PM »
Right now all my “favorite” rifles at least get some run a few times a year at the range. But I 100% get what you are saying. There have been times when I have realized I haven’t let a rifle in my safe (that’s not just a collectible now for whatever reason) stretch it’s legs in quite some time and I almost feel like I have been neglecting a relationship I care about.
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 01:29:17 PM »
I have a 270 Series 2 that I have never shot and a Thompson/Center Encore hunter that I bought used with a .500, .308 and 7mm Rem Mag barrels. It has been under my bed since the day I bought it. My poor Benelli M4 Super 90 sits in the corner next to my bed and if I ever have to shoot for it's intended purpose the perp will probably look like he got hit by a dust storm. I haven't shot the 50 BMG yet but it's new and I'm waiting for the snow to melt and the gullies to clear out so I can get out to the range.
Mark V Deluxe .257,6.5-300,300
Mark V Tactical 338 Lapua, .308
Tikka T3x Light 22-250
Ber B-14 HMR 6.5 CM
Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70
Win 94 30-30
AR-15 Match 5.56
AR-15 Match Wylde .223
AR-10 Match .308
WASR-10/63 AK47 7.62x57
Russian SKS 7.62x57
Turkish Mauser 8mm
UZI Mini Pistol 9mm
Barrett M82A1 50BMG

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 01:31:45 PM »
Thanks guys
Roger the scope is A leupold vari x ii 2x7 I often think about going smaller and wider field of view.
Para45 the story with this Rifle an old freind had it and offered to trade me for my old frolic camper. Plus I paid him $ 200
Figured it at A $1000 dollar purchase. That was back in 1988 it came with 2 boxes of winchester 300 gr. Silvertips. I still have 1 box. He knew the original owner. I dont think it has 200 rounds throgh it.
Mark

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 04:20:03 PM »
I just realised I have not shot my two favourite rifles in years! I last used my .340 Lazermark on a scrub bull, water buffalo and pig hunt way back in 2015. Then there is my Wood blued MKV ultra light in 25-06 and to be honest I cannot remember the last time I even pulled it out of the safe!
I still have quite a few rifles that I am yet to even shoot. One in particular is that custom shop 7mm Wby mag Lazermark.
But I am determined that as soon as the weather turns cooler here I am knuckling down and getting all my rifles out to the range to test and check things.
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 04:53:35 PM »
I just realised I have not shot my two favourite rifles in years! I last used my .340 Lazermark on a scrub bull, water buffalo and pig hunt way back in 2015. Then there is my Wood blued MKV ultra light in 25-06 and to be honest I cannot remember the last time I even pulled it out of the safe!
I still have quite a few rifles that I am yet to even shoot. One in particular is that custom shop 7mm Wby mag Lazermark.
But I am determined that as soon as the weather turns cooler here I am knuckling down and getting all my rifles out to the range to test and check things.

And in the northern hemisphere I'm waiting for it to warm up to do some shooting.

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?textField1=42.84&textField2=-108.74#.V1IbLL40CUk

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 06:58:27 PM »
I'm in the same boat with you guys in that there's just not enough time to do as much shooting as I want to and there's some of my guns that haven't been out for a while.  I still have a few that I need to work up some loads for that have been on the back burner for far too long.  The load I have for my Dad's post 64 model 70 .375 H&H Magnum is 65.0 grins of IMR3031 with a 270 grain Hornady Inter Lock Spire Point and a Winchester Large Rifle primer.
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2019, 07:46:43 PM »

And in the northern hemisphere I'm waiting for it to warm up to do some shooting.

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?textField1=42.84&textField2=-108.74#.V1IbLL40CUk
Wow! only made it up to 78 in this part of the "northern hemisphere" called Florida today! LOL!

Funny how sitting at a bench always seems colder than sitting out on the prairie with a 22-250 and a coyote call.  On the plus side, it doesn't take long for barrels to cool down.  Our local sportsmans club puts on matches but I don't participate.  I'd much rather be out chasing coyotes or sitting in a warm cab watching my tip-ups and waiting for dinner.

Seriously, sitting at a shooting bench on a cold day is not my cup of tea.

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2019, 08:34:28 PM »
My favorite is my .257
Had it out 3 weeks ago

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 04:04:04 PM »

Funny how sitting at a bench always seems colder than sitting out on the prairie with a 22-250 and a coyote call.  On the plus side, it doesn't take long for barrels to cool down.  Our local sportsmans club puts on matches but I don't participate.  I'd much rather be out chasing coyotes or sitting in a warm cab watching my tip-ups and waiting for dinner.

[/quote]

I'd much rather sit at a shooting bench when it's cold and windy rather than melting and sweating stuff off when it's hot and humid. 
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2019, 05:16:24 PM »
Shoot, it was 80 degrees last week (a record high), and the last three days it has been in the low 40s, overcast and windy.   >:(
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2019, 07:43:23 PM »

I'd much rather sit at a shooting bench when it's cold and windy rather than melting and sweating stuff off when it's hot and humid.
[/quote]

We do get our hot days but seldom see humidity over 20%.  A 95degree day will normally have humidity in the neighborhood of 8 to 12%.