Spike Camp

May be a fool question

juan

• View Profile
May be a fool question
« on: February 11, 2019, 11:03:43 AM »
Somebody says yes and others say not in this Pampas. I always wanted to ask to people who more knows about it as you do. Is the american buffalo same kind of animal that bisont? Thanks you very much.
Dancing with wolves film is always in my mind. It must be the reason
Good week for alls
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 11:07:52 AM by juan »
Why make things easy if you can make it difficult?

Re: May be a fool queston
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 11:07:24 AM »
American Buffalo are Bison.. 

It is confusing. :)
I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 11:08:45 AM »
Somebody says yes and others no here. I always wanted to ask to who more knows about like you do. Is american buffalo same that bisont? Thanks you very much.
Good week for alls

Someone here is likely far more knowledgeable than I am. From what I understand Juan, the answer is yes. There are no real buffalo in the wild in North America, only Bison. We do have Buffalo in captivity though.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 11:10:20 AM by HighDesertHunter »
Weatherby Rifles:
M5 USA .257
M5 USA 6.5-300
M5 USA 300
M5 German 300
M5 .308 TRR
VG .308
VG 270
Other:
Win M70 30-06
Brn XBolt HC Speed 300 WSM
McMil G30 Dynasty 270 WSM
Ber B-14 HMR 6.5 CM
Mar 1895 SBL 45-70
Win 94 pre 64 30-30
4 AR-15 Match 5.56
2 AR-15 Match Wylde .223
1 AR-10 Match .308

• View Profile
Re: May be a fool question
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 11:50:49 AM »
American Bison are native to north and South America, maybe Europe

Buffalo are native to Africa and Asia

Why they are called buffalo in America l don't know

Tatanka!!
Mike

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 11:51:22 AM »
Somebody says yes and others no here. I always wanted to ask to who more knows about like you do. Is american buffalo same that bisont? Thanks you very much.
Good week for alls

Someone here is likely far more knowledgeable than I am. From what I understand Juan, the answer is yes. There are no real buffalo in the wild in North America, only Bison. We do have Buffalo in captivity though.

I believe HDH is correct. American Buffalo are Bison. When European settlers first came into contact with the animal, the creatures reminded the settlers of real buffaloes so that is what they called them. When proper research was finally done many years later, it was realized the American animals were, at best, only very distantly related to actual African and Asian buffalos. A proper scientific name was then given the American animals, Bison bison. But since they had been referred to commonly as buffalos for so long, both terms were then used interchangably. That continues to the present day. It is a bit confusing.

Steven Rinella has an excellent book on the Animals, “American Buffalo: In Search of a Lost Icon” where he delves into the history of the animal and tells the story of a hunt he had for one in Alaska. I Highly recommend the book.
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

Buckleman

• B-MAN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 01:17:33 PM »
How about when they were going to cross bison(buffalo) with cattle. Going to be better than sliced bread. Different genes. Wasn't possible to do.

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 01:29:44 PM »
Whatever name you want to use, they taste good, LOL!
Come and take it.

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 01:48:46 PM »
Thanks alls for your anwsers and explanations. Now my doubts have gone.

Here there are water bufalos or called bufalo of India too. But it is not  the same there.

Thanks
Juan, from Argentina

Grouchy

• Let those without sin cast the first stone
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 02:03:47 PM »
This is a Bison  :)  "Dancing with wolves" was filmed in Custer State Park in South Dakota. I have been there several times. 
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 02:06:28 PM by Grouchy »

Blackbear3

• In God We Trust!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 02:53:44 PM »
This is a Bison  :)  "Dancing with wolves" was filmed in Custer State Park in South Dakota. I have been there several times.

The only problem with Custer State Park, is all the asses roaming around. You definitely have to keep your windows up or they'll be after handouts!!!
We stand for the Flag, and we kneel for the fallen!!!

Doug-NRA Life Member

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 03:13:49 PM »

The only problem with Custer State Park, is all the asses roaming around. You definitely have to keep your windows up or they'll be after handouts!!!
BB. Sorry. I dont understand last part of your post.  :-\

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 03:20:59 PM »
The American buffalo have been called Buffalo for almost 400 years... since the European settlers arrived here and saw an animal that looked like their European Buffalo. 

We named cities after them, like Buffalo, NY; Buffalo WY; we had the Buffalo nickel named after them, etc., etc.  They have always been called Buffalo.

To be correct, their genus & species Latin name is Bison, Bison.

So in the last 20 or so years, the politically correct biologists began calling them Bison.

To me they will always be American Buffalo, or just Buffalo.
NRA Endowment Life Member

Grouchy

• Let those without sin cast the first stone
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 03:52:17 PM »
This is a Buffalo!   ;D

Blackbear3

• In God We Trust!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2019, 03:56:50 PM »

BB. Sorry. I dont understand last part of your post.  :-\

Juan, there are wild 4 legged jack asses-donkeys running around. They actually put there heads in the vehicles and grab stuff, my wife would freak out every time I'd roll her window down.
We stand for the Flag, and we kneel for the fallen!!!

Doug-NRA Life Member

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2019, 04:12:28 PM »
There were actually some beefalo crosses so I guess they can breed.The ones I've seen were using a bull buffalo to breed cows.Never heard of it being done the other way around.
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.