Spike Camp

May be a fool question

DW5

• View Profile
Re: May be a fool question
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2019, 04:24:09 PM »
There were actually some beefalo crosses so I guess they can breed.The ones I've seen were using a bull buffalo to breed cows.Never heard of it being done the other way around.

I was doing some roofing work for an old rancher back in the late 90s who decided he was gonna do this. He claimed the market had fallen out and he was not going to carry on with it, but he still had the buffalo while I was working out at his place. I didnít see it happen but I did see him and his daughter come busting out of the house one day, jump in a truck and haul a** down the road. When he got back he said the buffalo had killed one of his cows. I think the story was they dumped a lot of feed out and the buffalo and cows began scrambling to get a good position. Some how the buffalo caught its horn up the belly of the cow and gutted it. I was not around to see this either but heard a rumor he shot the buffalo some time soon after that.
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2019, 05:00:43 PM »
One of the bulls Daddy had in the 80's was a cross. They were called Beefalos.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2019, 08:27:43 PM »
We had a local cafe here, maybe twenty or so years ago, that offered "beefalo" burgers.  I thought it was going to be the next big thing, but I haven't heard about "beefalos" in years.  I guess it went the way of the Emus.  Speaking of emus, about twenty years ago, I was driving out to our place, and saw that the neighbor's herd of cattle were in a TIGHT cluster; all huddled together and all looking at something across the field from them.  I fully expected to see a pack of coyotes are something, but alas, it was ONE emu, that must have escaped from a emu ranch down the road.  Those cattle did not know WHAT IN THE HECK was that thing, and they went into tight huddle mode for protection.  MM

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2019, 04:36:41 AM »
There is a mountain bison, which is a smaller version of its more famous plains variety cousin. The two look very much alike.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.