Spike Camp

Knives as gifts

Knives as gifts
« on: February 11, 2019, 12:04:24 PM »
After reading Truck drivers post about the great knife he gave his Grandson I got to thinking about knives as gifts. I have given a few over the years.

I gave a Case two blade pocket knife to my cousins son when he was born. My wife framed it with the blades  partially open with a brass plate with his name and birth date. On the back I put  note that I hope it reminded him of the ranch where his Dad and I had many good times. It's still on his wall and he is in university now.
 I gave my son a K-Bar skinning knife I picked up at Cabela's in Sidney Neb. Haven't seen one like it since.
 Gave my SIL a ANZA knife for Christmas one year, my daughter wondered why he needed another knife and he said you can never have to many knives. :)
 We have gotten a few knives as tokens or promotional gifts over the years.
Most aren't much of a knife but we did get a couple Boker Tree brand locking folders. I carried mine until the leather case wore out and my Dad kept his in his sock drawer.
 A nice Buck is always a welcome gift. ;D

I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild

Grouchy

• Let those without sin cast the first stone
    • View Profile
Re: Knives as gifts
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 12:59:56 PM »
I have a Buck 118 "Personal"  and a 110 my dad gave me in 1966.  I have close to 100 knives and those are the only 2 that were gifts to me.  I have gifted knives to most of my family and several high dollar knives were lost.  I gave my ex SIL a really nice knife about 25 years ago that he still has and takes care of it.  Yes, they are good gifts!     :)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 04:46:43 PM by Grouchy »

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 04:07:14 PM »
I really love my Buck knives.I got a 105 from my FIL 37 years ago.A couple years before I got married and a few years ago I bought myself a 102.I don't know what I ever did without it.Very nice, small,fix blade knife.
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 04:22:37 PM »
I don't know if you guys have heard of this:

"According to one superstition, a knife presented as a gift will sever the friendship between the giver and the recipient. The only way around this unfortunate outcome is to tape a penny to the knife. The coin must be promptly removed and returned to the giver as a form of symbolic payment."

The times I've given a knife, I've done this and explain why. 

When I was in uniform, I always had two Benchmade knives on me.  Now that I'm a civilian and wear civies to work, I carry two smaller Benchmade folders.  I'm never without a knife on me, since I can't carry a gun on base ;D

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 05:11:11 PM »
BM: You can't go wrong with a knife as a gift although I would rather have a rifle. ;D Any time anyone ask me what I want for Christmas I say a knife. They always ask which one. I tell them it doesn't matter I just like knives.Every year now I take a few knives out of my collection I have bought or got from Daddy and let my nephews choose the one they want at Christmas.It is not always  the expense ones they choose but the ones they grew up seeing me use or ones they knew their Granddaddy passed down to me.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 05:22:20 PM by terminator »
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 05:58:02 PM »
I have had A buck 105 for about the same length of time 224. Except I had to buy mine. :(
But they are great. Perfect size.
And Para45 In the movie the Edge the owner of the lodge makes reference of what you said. He said give the man A coin. Or it cuts the freindship.
In 2014 I went mule deer hunting in WY.
We were in the middle of know wear. When my freind found A Buck 393 with A gut hook on it.
I had mentioned I wanted A buck with A gut hook earlier in the trip. He didnt even think about it. He read the word buck and handed it to me.
I cleaned it up and bought A sheath for it. And it is now one of my favorites.
PS I did give him A Coin.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 06:52:01 PM by grizzly340 »
Mark

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 06:10:32 PM »
In Argentina there is a traditional custome when one give away a knife. Who receive the  gifts has to give money, only a coin, the minimum value of a simple coin. For what? Tradition says that if it is not surely will be a treason. Things, nothing more than traditional things or customs.
You do give away me a knife I have to give you one dolar. No matter if the knife is a very bad or  a very good one
Salutes.
Juan, Argentina
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 12:37:20 PM by juan »
Why make things easy if you can make it difficult?

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 06:14:08 PM »
I had never heard about exchanging a coin for a knife but I will remember that now. :)
I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 08:06:26 PM »
About 10-12 years ago a friend of my dad’s gave him the knife on the left. It was made as a sort of time killing project that turned into a long line of excellent knives. We’ve referred to that knife as the Original Hess knife. It fits well, skins well as keeps an edge. What more can a great knife do. Dad gave it to my youngest son several years ago.
Inspired by the Hess knife, my son made the Zebrawood handled knife on the right. It wasn’t his first knife, nor his largest. These are two if my favorites.
I made the Kydex sheaths.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 08:13:24 PM »
Nice Eric.I really like the Zebrawood handle. Your son did a good job.The Kydex sheaths look good also.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 08:16:23 PM by terminator »
Roger

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 09:24:34 PM »
I have a Buck Hunter 110 that I got from my dad just before he died (1990). He said he bought it for me for my first deer hunt (1964), but put it away and forgot about it. I still have it. In 2014 I bought the 50th anniversary 110 for my son. He does not hunt but likes good knives. He wants me to keep it safe for him as he moves frequently and does not want it to get lost. Both knives will be his whenever he wants them. 

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 09:44:05 PM »
Don't get any better than that Chet.Your son is very lucky and loved.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 09:55:39 PM by terminator »
Roger

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2019, 12:58:48 PM »
Chet, that one the first Buck knife I bought. Nice and sturdy knife.

dixie1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2019, 06:23:58 PM »
Only buck knife i like is a old 107 i bought back in the early 80's

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2019, 07:55:55 PM »
On the tradition of giving a coin for a knife, I thought that that was an ancient tradition.  The idea is, you do not "give" a knife, you "sell" a knife, or exchange it for a coin.  A couple Christmas's ago, I decided to disperse some of my knife stash, so ALL gifts to all family members, were various knives and edged weapons from my collection.  Each individual was going to get several.  I started the evening with appropriate music.  Instead of Christmas tunes, I had Guy Clark's "Randall Knife" playing over and over in the background.  None of them had ever heard that tune before.  The first gift to each member, was a ziplock bag full of quarters.  Then I explained the tradition of exchanging a coin or two for an edged weapon.  I dispersed my Grandfather's over 120 year old German straight razor, WITH sharpening hone.  My Dad's completely worn out big Case two-blade folder from just after WWII.  Various NICE bayonets.  A "Keen-Kutter" axe.  Even the females got edged weapons.  Then each Son got one of my Randalls.  The little toddlers got knife Christmas ornaments that I had made with their names and the year on them.  I still have three Randalls for them, but they are going to have to wait until they are young men for those.  With each edged item given, they had to give me a quarter or two back.  They got some really PREMIUM stuff.  And with each item, I explained what and why I had acquired it.  After it was all done, we listened to the song one more time, and everyone had a tear in their eye.  They knew before hand, that our family, being outdoors-men and formerly rural types, depended on "the knife" for everything, and that "the knife" was a very important thing as to who we are, as a family.  My Grandfather's straight razor and my Dad's big Case folder WERE the two biggest treasures.  From stories I have read on here, I gather, that knives are important items to most of you.  MM