Spike Camp

Bolt on vanguard hitting eye piece adjustment

Bolt on vanguard hitting eye piece adjustment
« on: February 11, 2019, 07:10:48 PM »
First weatherby purchased.  Not used to 2 lug bolt action.  Haven't yet mounted scope but feel bolt will hit or just clear scope.  Any guidance/information appreciated.  Want to put 2.5 x 10 x 42 on 7MM08

DW5

• View Profile
Re: Bolt on vanguard hitting eye piece adjustment
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 07:21:53 PM »
Use the proper rings and bases and you should be just fine. What exact optic are you using? Also what bolt throw are you used to using? Depending on what it is the Vanguard may have a little less clearance but a little practice with it and and you shouldnt have any problems at all. Thousands of people out there have a scope just like that or extremely similar on a Vanguard of one sort or another and do just fine.

Also, welcome to WBY Nation! Post some pics of your setup if you want, everybody around here likes rifle pics!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 07:23:56 PM by DW5 »
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 07:40:43 PM »
DW5 nice to meet you.  I've been kicking around scopes.  I have a ZIESS 3x9x42 not being used.  I ordered TALLEY medium rings/bases  (1 piece).  I'm used to a shorter bolt throw from BROWNING and SAKO.  I am not sure if I'll keep the 2 stage trigger and may install a timney trigger.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 08:32:30 PM »
I have a 42 obj scope mounted to a Vanguard with Talley lows, so Id say you are probably just fine there. Mine is a Vortex Razor, not Ziess, so med may be necessary in your case, a quick call to Talley would let you know for sure, but either way Id think Med would clear for sure.

As far as the trigger goes, Ive got a series one Vanguard with the Timney, but have kept the factory trigger on all my series two Vanguards, just personal preference there. Some, like myself love the triggers, some do not.

Hope to see it when you get it set up. Ziess is amazing glass if thats what you decide to go with!

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 09:01:01 PM »
I'll send pic when done.  The Vanguard I bought has  the new BADLANDS camo with the new Cerakote Burnt Bronze barrelled action.  I may try low rings as well.  Not sure if that would make a difference for the bolt clearance?

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 10:00:46 PM »
Id call Talley and let them know what gun/scope combo you have. Whatever they say will work, will almost certainly work. They are great to deal with, was on the phone with them today myself, oddly enough.