Spike Camp

How many of you carry every day and what?

Re: How many of you carry every day and what?
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2019, 06:49:39 PM »
I've always wondered if it is legal to carry concealed a pistol that isn't registered to you?I don't think I own a pistol that is registered in my name.Actually I know I don't own a pistol that is registered in my name.

I think you'd have to talk to a LEO about this. I don't know and won't internet guess when it comes to something that might get you into trouble.
Weatherby Rifles:
M5 USA .257
M5 USA 6.5-300
M5 USA 300
M5 German 300
M5 .308 TRR
VG .308
VG 270
Other:
Win M70 30-06
Brn XBolt HC Speed 300 WSM
McMil G30 Dynasty 270 WSM
Ber B-14 HMR 6.5 CM
Mar 1895 SBL 45-70
Win 94 pre 64 30-30
4 AR-15 Match 5.56
2 AR-15 Match Wylde .223
1 AR-10 Match .308

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2019, 07:17:57 PM »
Eric, I mean the SN is in your name in the database of the state or federally.

Example of register would be I went to Acadamy and bought a pistol there and waited to be okayed by the government to take possession of it.They okay it.Then I started carrying it.That pistol would be registered in my name.

Example of not registered would be I met Eric in the parking lot at Walmart and gave him cash for a pistol.Then I started carrying it.No way to verify that it is my pistol.Eric may have purchased it the same way 5 years ago.If someone ran the make,model,and SN it could come up as being registered to Jack Frost in Idaho or it might never have been registered because when it was 1st purchased as a new gun there was no such thing.

Kind of a head scratcher
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2019, 07:53:17 PM »
This is an interesting question. I sorta brushed up against this. I have an old college teammate that randomly became a cop in my home town, that I then eventually moved back too.

Not long after all that, my dad gave me a pistol that he was given by a cousin of ours that bought it at a private auction of some kind that he is always going too. Long story slightly less long, our cousin heard from whatever sort of shady character that runs these auctions he goes too, that, if it were him, he would check into what exactly that pistol had been involved in.

Once Dad relayed all that info to me, I called up my buddy and told him the story. I gave him the info and serial number of the gun and said, ďhey, could you tell me if Iím 100% okay having this thing, I plan on keeping it and want to be 100% legal.Ē

He got back to me the next day and told me I was 100% in the clear. I didnt specifically ask about the topic in question, but he did give the the all clear for what itís worth.
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2019, 12:52:57 AM »
I think that there is some misinformation here.  I had an FFL for twenty-one years, and finally gave it up when the NICS thing started, and I did not want to have to jack around with that.  At least until the NICS thing, when you legally bought a firearm from a licensed dealer, yes, you filled out the form, and your name became associated with the serial number, make, model, and caliber of that particular firearm.  But the Government NEVER got that information.  That information stayed with the FFL Dealer in their Bound Record Book, with the form in an adjacent file.  Let us say that someone bought a firearm legally from a licensed FFL dealer, and the firearm was a Ruger Blackhawk.  If at some point, that very Ruger Blackhawk was used in a crime and found by the LEO, that serial number would be run to Ruger, who would then look in their records as to which distributor it went.  Then that distributor would be contacted, and look it up and tell which dealer it was shipped to, and then that dealer would be contacted, and told to look it up in his Bound Book records, and let the LEO know who bought that Ruger from them, and would have the I.D. number and an address for whomever purchased it.  That is how that worked.  When the NICS thing started, the I.D. of the potential buyer was called in to the Feds, and they would look up if that person could legally own a firearm.  Supposedly, the Feds do not record the firearm make, model, Serial number when you are called in to NICS.  That is a big question, but unless they have changed the law recently, the NICS check only verifies if the purchaser can legally own a firearm, nothing more.  If, the person that bought the Ruger Blackhawk previously mentioned has that gun stolen, and reports it to the LEO agency, THEN the LEO would have a record that that firearm belongs to so and so, and it has been reported stolen.  I buddy of mine had a gun stolen perhaps fifteen years ago, and last year was notified, that his pistol had been picked up in a drug raid.  It was returned to him after it was no longer considered evidence in the raid, and all he had to do was go and sign for it, and show I.D.  Any gun that comes into a pawn shop, is supposed to have it's numbers run with LEO to see if that gun was stolen.  If it had been used in a crime, it would already be with the LEO, unless someone stole it from the LEO agency.  I would think that any dealer that takes in a used gun, would also verify with LEO, if that firearm has been reported stolen.  That is why many dealers take all of your I.D. info if you sell them a used gun.  If it turns up as stolen, they will have to give it to the LEO agency, and they will tell them whom they bought it from.  With concealed carry permits in Texas, unless they have changed the law, if you qualify for the the license with a revolver, then you can only legally carry a revolver, and you can carry any revolver that you legally own.  If you qualify with a semi-auto pistol, then you can legally carry a semi-auto, or a revolver, any of which you own legally.  Who would be dumb enough to go through all of the hoops to get a concealed carry license, and then have an illegal pistol.  They would be locked up instantly.  Unless they have changed the law, there is not a specific firearm that you have to carry, except for the revolver situation.  This being in Texas, and this, unless they have changed the law.  Other States may have far more restrictions, and REQUIRE a serial number on the license itself.  Also, I saw on the Internet, that you can buy a "permit" to carry concealed over the Internet from one state, and because of reciprocity between states on CC licenses, this will allow you to carry in other states.  I called a friend of mine that teaches the CHL course in Texas, and he said that the keyword here, is that it is a "permit," which is different than a "license," and he thinks that it is a scam, and would not trust it.  Back to the FFL Dealer.  When an FFL dealer gives up his license, he "is asked" to send in the Bound Book, and all of his forms that have all of the buyer information.  These go to the ATF, and are filed and stashed away somewhere, and supposedly are never looked at, unless a reverse trace is run on a firearm and it comes up as going to Joe's Guns, who gave up his license in January of 1995, and his records are stored in Warehouse #768, etc., etc.  There is no need for them to tabulate and re-enter all of your data into a database, because they NOW HAVE all of the data in a file in Warehouse 768 or wherever they stash it.  When they had the big purge of Mom and Pop FFL dealers like me and almost every one of my friends, most of us gave up our FFL's, but many of them DID NOT turn in their records, and they were never called about them by the ATF either.    The ATF knew we were all just Mom and Pop dealers buying guns for ourselves, and occasional friends.  We were not "trafficking" in selling guns to bad people.  They just wanted to cut the number of dealers way down, to make it look good for the media.  A buddy of mine kept his FFL through the purge, but then gave up his license a couple of years ago.  He was audited by the ATF.  They intimidated him into giving up his license.  He kept good paperwork, and had maybe three hundred firearms "in his inventory."  They wanted to see and verify EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM.  Out of around three hundred guns, he could not find ONE of them; a dinky little used Western Auto single shot .22, that he had in his books, but could not produce it for the team of agents to examine and verify the serial number with his records.  They acted like this was a horrible transgression/law violation, BUT if he would give up his license, they would let it go.  He was scared shitless of going to jail or paying a ten thousand dollar fine, So he gave it up.  They allowed him to make copies of all of his forms, and they took the originals.  He asked them "what about the three hundred firearms I have "in my inventory."  They said, "Those are now your personal firearms, do what you want with them, you are no long a dealer, and do not have to keep any more records." How about that.  He is also a Class III dealer, and they did not ask and did not care one bit about that, and did not check any of those firearms, which he ABSOLUTELY has everything EXACTLY correct.  They didn't question him one bit about those "items."  So, he can still deal with Class III items, and NFA items, but he cannot do the paperwork for me on a Mossberg Shotgun from Bud's Gunshop.  MM

Grouchy

• Let those without sin cast the first stone
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2019, 03:30:41 AM »
NCIS asks only if it is a long gun or a handgun on the phone or on the net, nothing about serial number. At least that's how it works in Florida!   :)

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2019, 04:43:14 AM »
Cold and raining here all day, so I carried on a single point sling my AR-10 on a dog walk under my rain slicker!  Even if I was "printing" there was just us 2 outside to notice.  What I usually carry and where is more information than I care to share with the world, including this one!  :)
You got that right Kevin/ need to don't know info.
TD

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2019, 05:29:36 AM »
Well. I have been reading post. I will do it less. Here in my country exist a National Weapons Register. Everyone to buy a gun no matter kind of gun first has to obtain a license. For that you have to proove no criminals records sphicolgist and physical test. Job and legal methods of life. Test and knoledges about law and use a weapon personal documentation. With all okey the authorities give you the credential o license of Legal Weapon User. Only with that license you can buy a gun in dealer. When you buy the gun dealer doesnt give it to you until you have registered the gun in National Weapon Register. After that 2/3 months the National Authorities give you a credential card with  type serial number and your identification to own that gun exclusivily. That is the law here for each gun you have or own. To carry guns only shorts guns is another authorization only for cops in activity or retired army police members only. Here nobody can carry weapons withour a national and federal permise inclusive forces members. And there are categories too. A card or credential for each gun and a national card for be a legal owner and another to carry. If police catch you with a weapon without so registration you will be enjailed from 3 to 8 years perhaps. Here is just like  I have explained.  Criminals dont obey law. Decent people do and this circunstances make some injustice  and burochratics forms for legal owners. Can it be understood?
Salutes
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 09:11:43 AM by juan »
Why make things easy if you can make it difficult?

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2019, 05:59:27 AM »
Like Juan said with all the regulations, criminal do not obey the law.  The same as here.
I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2019, 12:22:03 PM »
80 percent of the time, I have a Glock 19 on me, and the other 20 percent it is a PARA P-12, in 45 ACP.   There is always a loaded gun in the house, and a 90 lbs German Shephard.  ;D

zonie

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2019, 07:16:19 PM »
Arizona doesn't have a gun registration per say they go by federal guidelines.  If you bought a firearm from a friend  for instance or passed down from grandmother to father to son there is no paperwork involved.  Firearms dealers have a different requirement.  Any AZ resident 21 or older who can legally own a firearm can carry concealed within the state no permit required,   we are also an open carry state,   and we also have a AZ state  ccw with recriprocal agreements with other states. AZ does not require the use  of a specific firearm/s for our ccw.    I guess it's up to each state and local laws if they require some type of gun registration or not.  I know people in Ca that are required to use a specific gun/s on their  ccw's,  where they are listed  and what the requirements are I really don't know. 
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 08:44:29 PM by zonie »

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2019, 08:43:40 PM »
Sorry if my post was in any way misleading. I didnít do a very good job at all of explaining what I was trying to say. My only point, and this still doesnít really mean anything one way or the other, is during my conversations with my buddy, he never once advised that I should probably register the gun in my name if I was gonna carry it. Again, sorry for the confusing post.

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2019, 09:09:26 PM »
Not confusing or misleading to me DW.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2019, 09:21:09 PM »
Iím sure it must vary greatly state to state. Chris and the others in law enforcement could probably point us in some good directions.

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2019, 09:31:06 PM »
Some seem to be paranoid about admitting that they carry. It is my rights with the proper credentials and I am not afraid to admit it.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2019, 12:57:42 AM »
Well, what the anti's REFUSE to see in the Second Amendment are:  "the people," "AND BEAR" which means to carry on oneself, and finally, "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED."  All of this crap that ALL of us have to go through to buy, to ship, and to carry a firearm, ARE ALL INFRINGEMENTS in my mind.  MM