Spike Camp

Deer disease

Deer disease
« on: February 13, 2019, 10:16:40 AM »
Come and take it.

Re: Deer disease
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 11:19:27 AM »
It's been around for quite awhile. It survives in the soil for almost 10 years and even incinerating the carcus wont destroy the prions. In fact the ash actually makes it easier to spread. No proof it can infect humans, but they advise not to eat any meat from a CWD infected animal. Usually starts from a captive heard and jumps to the wild animals that come in contact with them.
Doug

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 05:11:34 PM »
I've seen it bankrupt a high fence operation over night.The state comes in and pretty much makes you kill your deer. If you are a real big operation and have separate herds and blood lines in other places the testing that they make you do to stay in business will break you.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

musicman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 02:08:24 AM »
They were offering free testing options around here, last year for some disease.  I did not hear it mentioned this just past hunting season though.  This being in Central Texas.  MM

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 05:01:00 PM »
I’ve volunteered to allow TP&W to check the brains of two different deer over the years, both came back negative.

Also, as to what King is talking about, I too have heard about a couple of high fenced operations being destroyed due to just one or two deer coming back positive.
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 07:16:45 PM »
I do recall now hearing about this some time ago and basically forgot about it. I agree that maybe the problem has been overstated, as I don't personally know of any cases.
Come and take it.

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 07:20:36 PM »
We have it in certan counties here in MI.
They plan on banning all baiting state wide this year. Plus we have had TB in the northern counties. That CWD Is always fatal. I hope humans cant get it.
Mark

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2019, 06:00:53 AM »
The US Dept of Agriculture stopped funding CWD research due to no link between it and being transmitted to humans. I don’t think that is the end of the concern for it. One buck where I hunt tested positive for it several years ago. That’s not going to stop me from hunting or taking the meat from what I harvest.
It is interesting how all the positive tests in the study I knew of several years ago were from bucks. Perhaps the prions are transmitted when they are in contact when fighting, such as nose-to-nose contact or through the water they drank——-but wouldn’t the does drink from the same watering holes or tanks?
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2019, 08:28:24 AM »
Maybe it's a male hormonal thing. Bucks are horny as hell too. Check out this funny video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqlqTTqUDt8
Come and take it.

zonie

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2019, 10:11:41 AM »
This has been going on for quite a while as others have stated.  I don't know of any cases in AZ that I'm aware of concerning deer/elk populations.  You can get dead deer species tested here for CWD.  AZ does not allow wild game deer species to be taken/hunting  brought into AZ from any state that hasn't been properly caped,  brains removed, cut up and packaged,  and there is probably other things also, basically we don't want CWD to be spread here.  One thing  we are very conscious about  when we are field dressing a deer species  is to not cut the spinal cord and get spinal fluid on any parts of the meat or ourselves,  brain matter included.  Of course there are times if a person hit's the spine and fluid spreads , then get it tested before eating.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 02:06:49 PM by zonie »

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2019, 02:46:42 PM »
Every deer in a captive herd in SE Minnesota tested positive for it. Now CWD has spread to the wild population in that area, with 38 wild deer testing positive. One group butchered 11 deer together in 2018. After test results came back positive for a buck, the DNR  confiscated and buried the meat for all 11 deer because it was mixed together. A study in Canada found that CWD had infected test monkeys and warns against human consumption.  The game farms should be liable when there herds spread it to wild game, in my opinion.
Doug

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2019, 03:36:27 PM »
  "The game farms should be liable when there herds spread it to wild game, in my opinion"

How do we know a wild deer didn't come up to the fence,to meet a buck there,and infect the herd in captivity?
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2019, 05:42:57 PM »
Tex, I'm sure that young lady had her menstrual cycle.  Animals can tell when a female is having her cycle. 

South Dakota got hit hard with it, and it took a huge toll on their deer population.  It was easy to get a non-res tag, now it's almost impossible for the area I hunt.
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

DW5

• View Profile

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2019, 09:47:34 AM »
I am really starting to believe this situation has been grabbed up by the anti hunters in an effort to shut down hunting in certain places!  Why is a longtime ongoing problem making the news all of a sudden?  Maybe it's researchers looking for more government grants?  :)

Certainly that all has something to do with it. All it takes is one bad actor to do a ton of damage these days on the internet/social media. I forget where the quote came from and who originally said it, but it reminds me of what I hear often these days, “a good lie will spread around the world with break-neck speed, and the truth moves like molasses.”

I’m really surprised it’s taken this long for some rabble-rouser to come along and try and capitalize/enrich themselves on this through fear and/or the selling of snake oil.