Spike Camp

What Scope Cover(s) do You Use and How Do You Carry Extra Ammo in the Field?

zonie

I'm a cheap basta take an old 14 or 15 inch car tire inner tube,  the thinner the rubber material the better and cut  2 or 3 inch strips across , (something like  squid rings),  trim them down in the center to  about 1/2 " so they can stretch  and leave each end whatever size the ocular and objective lens are,  and you can get sometimes 20 or 25 stretch type scope covers out of one inner tube.  Keep a couple spares in the truck and in camp in case someone gets excited and leaves them in the field after shooting.  I do have some flip up scope covers (not a big fan of them),  and the scopes factory stretch covers and they all work for the most part. Ammo carriers almost all our rifles &  turkey shotguns have some type of butt stock ammo holder.   

danno50

• View Profile
Butler Creek flip covers and secure buttstock shell holder with with flap to keep ammo from accidentally falling out. (also one or two rounds in shirt pocket jic)
DosEquisShooter

I have neoprene covers. That stay on in the dark untill I get to my blind. If im out in the weather I use butler creek flip up lens covers. For extra ammo. I use the uncle mikes elastic shell holders over my stock. Or boyds shell holders on my belt. For my semi auto browning. I carry a spare full magazine in a uncle mikes belt pouch.
And always 2 loose in the front pocket.
Mark

Neoprene in my pack if needed for wet weather and yes dust

Extra ammo? .257/.340 only need the one in the chamber  ;D

I'm the same, who needs extra ammo, I only need the one  ::)  ::)  :D

Rob

I'm the same, who needs extra ammo, I only need the one  ::) ::) :D

Rob

I know you guys are just joking but I carry 10 rounds. The mag is full, the rest go in my pocket. Spare ammo is excellent for signaling, starting fires and cauterizing a bad wound or fending off predators that just happen to want that deer you shot more than you. And then, maybe I just carry them because my dad told me to 50 years ago and I got into the habit.
Mark V Deluxe .257,6.5-300,300
Mark V Tactical 338 Lapua, .308
Tikka T3x Light 22-250
Ber B-14 HMR 6.5 CM
Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70
Win 94 30-30
AR-15 Match 5.56
AR-15 Match Wylde .223
AR-10 Match .308
WASR-10/63 AK47 7.62x57
Russian SKS 7.62x57
Turkish Mauser 8mm
UZI Mini Pistol 9mm
Barrett M82A1 50BMG

224KING

• View Profile
3 in the gun is usually all I'll carry.Of course there may be 47 in the truck.MTM 50 round boxes are sure handy no matter the cal.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

juan

• View Profile
I cover de scope if weather is bad with a neoprene or another elastic o flexible tyre patch. It is easy to take off and if it lost no matter, it is cheap or free to get another. To carry extra ammunitions ever a 20 cartridges box in bag. Thre or four in clip guns or nagazine and seven in a belt leather ammunition handwork I have made and that you know and have seen time before in a post of mine. I let you know again.
Salutes.
Juan
Why make things easy if you can make it difficult?

I cover de scope if weather is bad with a neoprene or another elastic o flexible tyre patch. It is easy to take off and if it lost no matter, it is cheap or free to get another. To carry extra ammunitions ever a 20 cartridges box in bag. Thre or four in clip guns or nagazine and seven in a belt leather ammunition handwork I have made and that you know and have seen time before in a post of mine. I let you know again.
Salutes.
Juan

That shell holder is nice Juan. Very nice
If l had one like that l would carry more ammo just because!

juan

• View Profile
Well friends. I will have a little vacations in my dear Mar del Plata City, called The Pearl of the Atlantic or the Happy City,  400 kms from Buenos Aires, my home. That place it is not Ibiza or CerdeƱa Island.but it is my second place in the world. Beautiful to have sun, coast walkings and looking foward the inmense Argentine Sea and South Atlantic Ocean. Here is very hot, We are having a very hot summer this year. I will be following you by movypphone. I had to modify this post because after reading it wasnt horrible written and I dont want to be so unrespectable with you.. Let go to appoint bags now because my wife is looking at me not very well while I am in front of computer. I dont know why. I will with you soon.
Until next time
Juan, from Argentina
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 01:25:33 PM by juan »
Why make things easy if you can make it difficult?

DW5

• View Profile
Have a great time Juan! Happy vacation!
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

I prefer no covers. It limits the blending ability of the scope by thickening the occular and usually the flip up sits in the way for your peripheral vision.

Ammo.... well it depends.

DG a bit belt with 20 cartridges, other cases a few cartridges in my pockets and usually a plastic holder - like from a factory ammo box that holds 10 cartridges and is very flat, in a backpack etc.
I shoot cases with a belt because I feel the other cartridges need to pull their trousers up.

Juan:Please post some pictures of the Happy City and beaches.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

eford

• View Profile
I use a flip-up cover on the objective lens. Usually, I end up needing it to keep dust off the glass but this year we hunted in a snow storm / freezing drizzle and that was not a time to have messy optics. I have carried ammo in a belt carrier, on the stock, and in a chest pocket. The last place to carry ammo is loose in a pocket. I like the belt carrier best since it keeps things away from messing with how the stock fits or carrying the rifle.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 11:46:00 AM by eford »
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

I love the guys that use ammo holders on their stocks, I find their ammo on the trails all the time. ;D
I love the smell of deer guts in the morning, it smells like...VICTORY!

I'm the same, who needs extra ammo, I only need the one  ::)  ::)  :D

Rob
[/quote

Well guys, a Weatherby is always a Weatherby but I'm only human.  I carry 3 or 4 extra rounds.