Spike Camp

Wolves on Isle Royale-Outdoor News Story

Wolves on Isle Royale-Outdoor News Story
« on: March 11, 2019, 07:34:09 AM »
https://www.outdoornews.com/2019/03/04/canadian-wolves-released-at-isle-royale/?mc_cid=6e3766aa11&mc_eid=ddf56b43a4

Thought some of you might be interested in reading this story on the reintroduction of wolves!!!
Doug

Re: Wolves on Isle Royale-Outdoor News Story
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 08:30:25 AM »
I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 07:40:11 PM »
I live here on the mainland during the off season when the park is closed and do a lot of work on the island during the season so I am well aware of the nations latest zoo. Amazing that we have few moose and way too many wolves that climate change, among other things has caused, yet 20 miles across the water the moose population is exploding so they need to import wolves to control them. Would have been much easier to bring the excess moose here. I would be happy to donate these two from my back yard and give my dog some freedom to move about. Nothing my 30-378 would like more than to line them up and get a two for one when they threaten me and/or my dog.

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 07:49:48 PM »
Seems like they could up with a different idea
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 07:50:27 PM »
Welcome to the Nation capt. don, and thanks for the input.
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 07:57:31 PM »
I know they want to do things the natural way. And Wolves are always the first answer. But I flat out hate wolves. They are just ruthless killers seen plenty if shows where they just kill and leave moose or other game. There are better ways to thin out the moose than to keep bringing in more wolves.
Mark

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 08:04:08 PM »
They have a crazy way of taking care of things.
Thanks for the picture Don.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 08:18:12 PM »

I was headed into town for lunch with my neighbors and John said, check that out, 6 dogs running along the river. A few seconds later Girette say's look at the horses running. I told them to take pictures and somehow they managed even though I was doing 70mph. When we got to the restaurant I zoomed in on the picture of the dogs and sure enough, they were a pack of wolves.
I heard they were in the area and had even seen signs of them out on the range by my house but this is the first time I've actually seen them. There's a ranger around the corner from me. I'll  go show him the picture so he can let his folks know. If I come across them, they will be dead. Too many small kids around my neighborhood and those kids like to play out in desert.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 08:20:49 PM by HighDesertHunter »
Mark V Deluxe .257,6.5-300,300
Mark V Tactical 338 Lapua, .308
Tikka T3x Light 22-250
Ber B-14 HMR 6.5 CM
Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70
Win 94 30-30
AR-15 Match 5.56
AR-15 Match Wylde .223
AR-10 Match .308
WASR-10/63 AK47 7.62x57
Russian SKS 7.62x57
Turkish Mauser 8mm
UZI Mini Pistol 9mm
Barrett M82A1 50BMG

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 09:17:26 PM »
Seems more tags or a limited season this spring or summer would have been a safer way to get rid of the additional moose.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2019, 05:20:42 AM »
Seems more tags or a limited season this spring or summer would have been a safer way to get rid of the additional moose.

Yeah, if asked hunters will answer.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2019, 05:56:31 AM »
Welcome to the Nation capt.don!!! Apparently there are some people in our government that don't like hunters. I believe a moose season was proposed to allow hunting, but I don't remember the details. The main cause of the demise of moose in MN seems to be predation by wolves on moose stressed out by carrying thousands of ticks from warmer winters?

A grouse hunter had a lone wolf chasing his dog around his truck last fall! The hunter yelled at it with no effect, then when he fired a load from his shotgun into the ground the wolf stopped and looked at him and then just walked off. Seems to be quite a few encounters with hunters and wolves here in MN lately. There's a movie called The Grey with Liam Neeson if anyone's interested in a movie about wolves in the wild, it's worth watching. It gets a 79% score by Rotten Tomatoes.
Doug

dixie1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2019, 03:46:35 AM »
 The wolves have ruined the upper peninsula already. Drive down a 2 track could see deer, rabbits, and all the other game. Now you can drive 20 miles and not see anything. My buddy was at his deer blind and spooked a wolve with his truck. He drove right back out with his daughter. The wolve stood off against his truck for a couples of mins before he walked away.
 1 year the fire dept volunteer down close enough to him the field next to him broke out howling. A pack was in the next field laying down.
 A gentlemen Bear hunting had wolves sleeping in his bait after he got to his blind. Another time he walked out they followed but about 20-25 yards to 1 side.
 They will ruin Isle Royal. It is a great place if you ever do visit.
 Nope i hate wolves the farmers got rid of them for a reason.
 I have not even got to the livestock they have killed. 1 wolves can drag a 700 cow/calf. I know a few farmers that have lost multiple calfs in 1 year putting their breeding way behind and loss of money due to beef sales. Yes the feds pay for cattle killed but it runs out of money quick and not even close to what they are worth.