Spike Camp

Could WBY adopt the 7mm STW? or 7mm-300 Wby?

Could WBY adopt the 7mm STW? or 7mm-300 Wby?
« on: March 12, 2019, 07:29:48 PM »
Maybe chamber rifles in the 7mm STW which is almost a 7mm-300 Wby.

And you could probably safely shoot 7mm STW in a 7mm-300 Wby chamber...

not sure WBY wants to have a new 7mm-300by to compete with their 7mm Wby...

although I could see a program where send us your 7mm Wby and buy a 7mm-300 Wby barrel and we'll mount it for free etc... maybe spiking sales etc...

Re: Could WBY adopt the 7mm STW? or 7mm-300 Wby?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 10:25:28 PM »
They already have the best 7mm mag made, but I believe they don't realize it. When you take everything into account, recoil-powder consumption-throat wear- velocity no other 7MM cartridge can surpass it enough to justify a change. I loaded for a friend who had a 7mm STW and my son's 7mm RUM. The STW had a 24" barrel and my 7mm Weatherby had a 26" tube as well as my son's 7mm RUM. Velocity between my 7 MM Wea and the STW were non-existant and the RUM out done my 7MM Bee by about 75 ft/sec using about 20% more powder,more recoil and barrel wear. This is just an opinion, but I believe that the 7mm Weatherby is just the right balance between barrel bore/powder consumption/and velocity.  Having said this I believe there are things that the company could do to give this fine round a helping hand. Offering it in the Vanguard line with a 26" barrel and a faster twist would be good for starters.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 10:36:39 PM by canadian reloarder »

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 04:22:00 AM »
What you stated is why I donít believe a 7mm-300 makes much sense...the 7mm STW is almost the same cartridge. The only difference would be a double-radius shoulder.

Some have thought a 7mm-378 Weatherby may be in the works. Although that would probably be more cartridge than I would personally go for, it would make a very fast 7mm. Not sure if it would outrun a Lazzrroni Firebird or not.
JK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 06:05:59 AM »
I agree with  Canadian reloader on this. Weatherby has the  cartridge it just needs a faster twist to  stabilize the newer heavier bullets
IMO the 28 magnum starts with a 160 grain bullet and goes up not down in weight. If your going to shoot a lighter than 160 grain than your better off with the new 6.5 cartridges
Mike

Blackbear3

• In God We Trust!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 06:40:20 AM »
Only time will tell, but I truly believe Weatherby is working on the 7-378. If a rep from Weatherby is at Reeds Gun Fair in April I'm going to try to get some info and see if I can order one. It's been 2 years since my last purchase so hopefully it's coming soon?
We stand for the Flag, and we kneel for the fallen!!!

Doug-NRA Life Member

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 07:40:39 AM »
An industry insider told me the 7mm Weatherby Magnum is the most under rated cartridge in their line. He said he has taken everything except great bears with it in North America. I sure like my 7mm Wby. So far Iíve taken one white tail buck with it.
The 7mm Wby is step for step with the 7 STW as far as capability and speed. I donít think a 7-300 is going to offer a big step over the 28 Nosler but a 7-378 Wby sure would be. Count me as one that will not be surprised if it is released as the first Weatherby cartridge from its new home in Wyoming.
I seriously doubt Weatherby would bring in a new cartridge of lesser speed than what the other manufacturers produce.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 11:33:15 AM by eford »
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 02:12:13 PM »
For those who want a 7mm/378 I most certainly hope it comes about. By what i've seen in the past concerning Weatherby as a company, is they don't just make a cartridge then discontinue it after a few years like some of the other firearms companies. Even if sales are not good they will continue to offer cases and loaded ammo and chamber it in some of their rifles for decades. They are loyal to their customers. They will not see their customers with rifles that they can't buy ammo for or load for. It is for this reason that I don't think the 7mm/378 will come about. I feel it just will not offer a significant velocity increase over the 7mm Wea mag. The 284 bore can only burn a certain amount of the powders that we have today and the 7mm Wea is just about right. If you go to the Nosler web site and check their load data for the various 7mm mags you see little velocity gain after you pass the capacity of the 7mm Wea mag. Their #'s for a 185 gr bullet are  89grs of powder and 3152 ft/sec for the 28 Nosler with a 26" barrel. The RUM runs 95.5 grs of powder for a velocity of 3057 ft/sec with a 26" barrel. The STW uses 87.5 grs of powder for 3016 ft/sec with a 26" tube. The 7mm Weatherby uses 83 grs of powder for a velocity of 3097 ft/sec BUT from a 24" barrel.  There is basically no advantage to the bigger cases. I seen this myself when I loaded for both the STW and RUM.  The argument I often hear or read is that they would fair better with a 30 or 32" barrel, well so would the 7mm Weatherby and who would like to hunt with a 32" barrel.  As far as the STW goes it is chambered in very few rifles now and the RUM is nothing more than a distant memory. JMO
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 02:14:46 PM by canadian reloarder »

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 04:12:44 PM »
Weatherbys other ď378Ē offerings run very similar ballistics to the Lazzeroni Offerings of the same calibers, I would assume a 7mm-378 would equal or better the Firebird, which is a very significant leap over the 7mm RUM, STW, Wby, etc! Definitely comes at a cost of powder, recoil, and noise, but worrying about that isnít what got me hooked on Weatherbys.
Even currently owning a 7mm Wby, I would gladly make room for a new one!

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 03:22:04 PM »
I don't believe they'll do the 7mm-378 because in the end, it may end up hurting future sales of the 7mm Wby.  JMHO.

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 04:10:53 PM »
Well...I donít necessarily think that is the case. Iím not sure the .30-378 affected sales of the .300 Weatherby to any significant degree.

There is the little mater of 378 Weatherby-based factory cartridges running really close to $200 a box.
JK

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 08:15:13 PM »
I worked up loads for my 7mm Wby that are screaming fast, safe and accurate. With a healthy spread of powders and bullet weights and construction types from 140 to 175 grains, I found the 150 grain Hornady ELD-X, Nosler Accubond Long Range and Swift Scirocco II to print virtually identical 3-shot groups with the same powder load and COL.
Is it under rated as a fully capable cartridge, sure. It lives in the shadow of the 300 Wby, but donít discount the 7mm Wby just as it is.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

Buckleman

• B-MAN
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2019, 07:18:08 AM »
I have a 7mm STW in a Weatherby Mark 5. 26" barrel. They made a run on these back in the 90s I believe

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2019, 05:15:06 PM »
I doubt the 7mm-378, to milk all of that I think one would need a 28-30" barrel.

The 7mm Wby is certainly well balanced and underrated, it's main problem IMO is that it is just too close to the much more popular 7mm Rem.Mag., off the top of my head I forget which came first.

Now it's almost if you wanted a 7mm-300wby, your options would be the 6.5wby or the 300wby.

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2019, 07:25:07 PM »
I think they could just add the 7mm Weatherby just as it is to a few more models and add a faster twist
It would cause some confusion but it has been done before. Or just make the change in twist on all models from Wyoming and after
Mike

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2019, 08:08:30 PM »
I agree with Canadian Reloader and 257,  fast twist barrels on the 7mm Wby would probably appeal and arouse new shooters looking at the 7mag and also 7mag aficionados. (might even inch up on the Rum) Also agree with 257's solution on avoiding the confusion of, which is which, by announcing that only rifles with a WY serial number would have the fast twist. +1, 257. I really think the 6.5-300 largely came about at the summons of the Nation, led, I believe in part by Gods Country, who started the thread. Don't get me wrong, there was a lot of input by a lot of Nation members who helped push it along. Weatherby may or may not have been thinking about the 6.5-300 at the time, but the sparked interest by the Nation may have gotten it off the back burner. If there's enough interest in a fast twist 7mag which would be less expensive, and also less expensive than producing a new caliber with only so so credentials, it could happen. Might just be a pipe dream, and Blackbear3 could be right:

Only time will tell, but I truly believe Weatherby is working on the 7-378. If a rep from Weatherby is at Reeds Gun Fair in April I'm going to try to get some info and see if I can order one. It's been 2 years since my last purchase so hopefully it's coming soon?
DosEquisShooter