Spike Camp

Best Deal on WBY Ammo Ever

Best Deal on WBY Ammo Ever
« on: March 14, 2019, 02:16:56 PM »
Back around 2005 i was a poor college kid working at the recently opened Cabelas in Boise, ID.  I had been given a 7mm German WBY as graduation gift a few years earlier but I didn't shoot it much because of the cost of ammo.  So you can imagine my surprise when i found 11 boxes of 7mm wby ammo in the bargain cave.  I bought them all and had the total taken out of my next paycheck.  6 boxes of 150 grain X-Bullets and 5 boxes of 140 grain partitions.  Partitions were $15/box and X-Bullets were $14/box.  I still have 2 boxes of partitions left over.  Have you guys ever scored any great deals on WBY ammo?

dubyam

• View Profile
Re: Best Deal on WBY Ammo Ever
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 02:26:08 PM »
Whoa!  That's a huge deal.  Nice grab.  I've never scored that big on ammo, but back during the last administration, when the "shortage" was in full (federal purchasing power induced) effect, I stopped into a gas station in a very rural area, which happened to have outdoors gear in the store, in addition to the typical cokes/snacks.  So I spent a few minutes looking around, and found several things at well below current retail pricing.  I bought about a dozen boxes of bullets of various types, three bricks of primers, and three pounds of powder for just under $200, out the door.  The boxes of bullets were Hornady Interbonds, Nosler Ballistic Tips, and Speer Hot-Cors, all for about $9 apiece.  Not as good a deal as you found, but it really filled up my handloading bench nicely.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 03:54:27 PM »
I got lucky on gunbroker once and got two boxes of .300 wby mag for around $10+shipping. One box of Westherby and the other was a box of Federal. But overall all I think you got a better deal because of the bulk of your purchase.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 07:06:32 PM »
Awesome
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.