Spike Camp

scope rings

scope rings
« on: March 17, 2019, 05:57:48 AM »
Hello
what kind of rings ( heights ) do i need for mounting a vortex 3.5-10*50 on an vanguard 223 rem ?
Sorry for my bad English , i am from Sweden
Regards
// Jörgen

eford

• View Profile
Re: scope rings
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 07:55:58 AM »
Warne or Leupold medium height rings ought to do it, depending on how you position the scope tube in the rings for the amount of eye relief you want. High rings might not be comfortable, but it all depends on how it fits you.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

Buckleman

• B-MAN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 10:09:53 AM »
Also depends on the barrel contours. Heavy barrels take higher rings.

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 10:59:32 AM »
I think medium also but I will call Vortex Monday for you and see what they say if you would like me to?
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 08:15:16 AM »
I like the Talley one-piece Vanguard mounts that Weatherby sells (online). They are $50.00 US. You can't beat that. I saw some on sale for $20, but those were for certain MK V's only. These are solid mounts too. Medium should be correct but Weatherby can tell you for sure. Welcome to the Nation!
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:24:20 AM by texweatherby »
Come and take it.

« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 02:02:56 PM »
George, if you put a Picatinny rail on it and use Medium height rings, you'll have more flexibility with ring selection and when positioning your scope. That is the way I set up my Vanguards.
Weatherby Rifles:
M5 USA .257
M5 USA 6.5-300
M5 USA 300
M5 German 300
M5 .308 TRR
VG .308
VG 270
Other:
Win M70 30-06
Brn XBolt HC Speed 300 WSM
McMil G30 Dynasty 270 WSM
Ber B-14 HMR 6.5 CM
Mar 1895 SBL 45-70
Win 94 pre 64 30-30
4 AR-15 Match 5.56
2 AR-15 Match Wylde .223
1 AR-10 Match .308

zonie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 05:23:45 PM »
HighDesertHunter  +1  ,     I'd go with a Talley Picatinny rail and most likely med Weaver tactical 4  hole  Skeleton rings ,  not expensive and decent quality.   Weaver does make  6 hole tactical rings but a little longer in length.  If you were looking at the Viper 3.5x10x50mm it has 82 moa elevation  built into the scope  which is probably more than you would need for  223.   Be aware when buying Picatinny rails vs Weaver rails there are differences in the width of the slots,  Weaver slots 0.180 (4.57mm) width vs Picatinny slots 0.206 (5.23mm) width.  Basically you can normally install Weaver cross bolt type rings on a Picatinny rail although sloppy fore and aft,  but not the other way around installing Picatinny  cross bolt type rings on the smaller width Weaver  Rails.   This is not a hard and fast rule so you  it might want to stick with Picatinny sized rings.  The only reason I don't  a lot of the time is because I have other rifles with older Weaver mounts  I may want to stitch scopes around on other rifles.  Keep in mind when adding a Picatinny rail it normally sits a little higher and the need at times for lower rings (not always but enough times to make sure you buy the correct height rings)  One thing the Picatinny rails have a distinct advantage is scope placement fore and aft adjustability the down side is they reduce access when loading ammo in the receiver,  it's generally not a big thing but something to be aware of. 
« Last Edit: Today at 08:45:22 AM by zonie »