Spike Camp

Discuss the Weatherby Mark V® Synthetic

Re: Discuss the Weatherby Mark V® Synthetic
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2008, 04:36:19 PM »
Just picked up a NIB Mark V stainless 30.06 today.

Can't wait to get it to the range.

Re: Discuss the Weatherby Mark V Synthetic
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2008, 03:50:43 PM »
I have a stainless synthetic Mark V carbine with 20" barrel in .308 Winchester.  Anyone else own this model?

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2008, 04:58:03 AM »
About 2 years ago, I located a NIB, blued synthetic, Weatherby Mark V in .300 Win Mag.  It turns out to have been one of the first USA-made Mark Vs, with a very low serial number and simply never sold.  I won't offend by telling the purchase price, but will affirm it to have cost less than 50% of the current asking prices.

This rifle shoots fine with factory ammunition, well under 0.75 MOA.  However, with the following handload, I am able to maintain 0.25 MOA groups off the bench: (form-fired, re-neck sized brass, 78 grains of H4831, Winchester magnum primer, and Sierra 168 grain match projectile).  The 3-shot clusters consistently present as a perfectly vertical 0.25 MOA pattern.  The extraordinary consistency of this rifle leads me to believe that the variance that I do experience is likely shooter error.  This particular Mark V is not only my most accurate Weatherby, it is my most-accurate-ever big game rifle.

Doc2005
"A Shootist

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2008, 10:38:45 AM »
I'm sure you can look at my earlier posts regarding my Mark V synthetic in 270Wby, but I've had the exact same experience as you - bought it NIB on a closeout deal at WalMart, found it to be exceptionally accurate.  I just worked up a load using 130gr Nosler E-Tips over IMR7828ssc that is moving 3450-3500fps and hitting .65" or less at 100yds for three shots.  I have a slower load (150gr doing 2950fps) that is consistently below .5" at 100yds for three shots.  Overall, I couldn't be more pleased.  I will own more of these when I am able...
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2009, 11:21:50 AM »
THe Stainless Steel version has to come back , too nice of a rifle not to make.

ASF

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2009, 07:37:00 PM »
Hi all - just new to this forum - have just started listing rifles - however, i have a Stainless Synthetic Mk5 in 257 Wea Mag - and its not on the list - why not - fantastic rifle for Aussie game.

Fav load is 69gns AR 2213SC behind 100gn Nosler BT...

ASF

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2009, 09:48:33 PM »
Thanks - I have had it for a number of years - it was my first Weatherby, and is still going strong, on its original BBL. Although it often gets left behind as my 300 Lazermark is my flavour of the month at present.

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2011, 05:09:14 AM »
hello
just to join in on the stainless synthetic
i just baught a beautiful 340 alaskan
its nickel plated looks like brushed metal and has a black stock
it even came with the box
i called weatherby they said it left the factory in 93 but the bolt bstill has that rubbery stuff they put on them i guess for shipping reasons
they said it was discontinued due to the cost of manufactoring with nickel plateing and was replaced with the weathermark
just thaught i,d share that with you
tim
timothy l lamca

Marishka

• Cancelled bear hunt so I could get this
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2011, 03:57:11 PM »
On Gunbroker.com, there is a .300 Weatherby for sale with stainless fluted barrel, synthetic stock and scope. It is listed as # 251369224. Good luck.

I love my stainless.300 Weatherby with synthetic stock. I use it in Alaska.

Marishka

• Cancelled bear hunt so I could get this
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2011, 04:06:19 PM »
.300 full stainless weatherby with laminate thumb hole stock and Swarovski scope listed on Gunbroker.com as "Weatherby Mark V 300 Weatherby Package". Ad says willing to sell gun without scope. The one with the fluted barrel I posted a few minutes ago only has a stainless barrell. But the one here is a full stainless gun. If you want a stainles Mk V, here it is.

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2012, 03:54:55 PM »
love the caliber.  very accurate.  this is my go to rifle for almost all hunting.  am currently looking to buy a 460.

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2016, 07:30:59 AM »
I realize this is old but I just ran on to it.  The Mark V synthetic is a really good rifle especially for the price. I have it in 240 Wby, 7mm Wby stainless fluted, 270 win stainless lite weight, 7mm STW, 340 Wby , 30-378 Wby and 300 Wby.  currently looking for the 270 Wby.  Those that have been fired shoot less than 1 moa.  The 270 and 340 have not been fired.   
223 Rem Vanguard SS
240 Wby  MV synthetic
257 Wby  Vanguard SS
270 Win MV light weight SS
270 Wby MV synthetic
7mm STW MV synthetic
7mm Wby  Mag MV synthetic SS fluted
300 Wby  MV synthetic
300 Wby  MV ultralight SS
30-378 Wby  MV synthetic
340 Wby  MV synthetic
338-378 Wby  Accumark

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2016, 05:13:35 PM »
Hi folks,
 I have a Weatherby MK V synthetic  in 300 wby mag that has been free floated, bedded,De-Resonator and a Miles Gibby muzzle brake placed on the 26 inch barrel. Its a very accurate rifle. I am very happy with the way it has developed. The 4 x 12 x 40 bdc nikon scope is a great match and I was able detonate a container about size of half a coke can with 1/2 lb tannerite at 200 yds. It really likes the 150 grain nosler partitions. I hope if your considering a MK V synthetic it turns out as good as the one I have, it is a real joy to shoot. Good luck

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2016, 12:34:01 PM »
I just picked up a mk v in 30-378. got to say I'm kind of disappointed in the performance. I've had nothing but problems with it. Granted I'm the third owner of this rifle (my cousin, my father, then me) no one could afford to shoot the thing rounds are 130$ for 20. I reload so not as much of a problem for me (haven't calculated per round price yet, don't want to know and don't tell my wife). When I first shot it I couldn't get on paper, found the action screws loose. Then I had a rail put on it for a 30mm scope and the screw on the back of the rail was too long to run the action. After some messing around I got the basic bugs worked out of the platform and got on paper. Best grouping I can get is 3-4 in at 200yrds. Cold bore shot to follow up shot is about 6"up and 6" left. From their they settle into the 3-4" range in the up left position. Could be that the rifle was beat on before I got to it but kind of doubt it. I'm giving the barrel 4-5min between shots to cool and am close to wits end with the thing. Don't get me wrong I love the challenge and feel this is a well built rifle, just expected more. 
"Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war" W Shakespeare

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2016, 01:31:46 PM »
Without knowing all the history and whether you've done any of which I'm about to suggest, I'll offer the following:

Be sure the action screws are tight enough, but not too tight. Start at hand tight plus half a turn and work in a turn at a time and see if that helps. What you're describing sounds a lot like bedding shift associated with the first shot from the rifle. Since it's a synthetic, there isn't much you can do to bed the Tupperware stock. Also check the barrel channel for contact. Again, the Tupperware stock isn't going to allow much in the way of free floating options, as it's not stiff enough, generally.

If neither of these helps, the best option is a stock swap to a Bell & Carlson Medalist.

Also, be sure it's clean, and your scope mounts are appropriately torqued and solid. And maybe swap to a known good scope to be sure the one you have isn't jacked. And I'd do all this before changing stocks.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie