Spike Camp

Recoil Reducing for .300 WBY MAG: Barrel Porting or Muzzle Brake

HunterChasse

Recoil Reducing for .300 WBY MAG: Barrel Porting or Muzzle Brake
« on: December 14, 2008, 08:42:39 PM »
 I'd like to know what to do, i dont mind that recoil of the. 300 that bad but id like to get into long range varmint hunting with it, and to do so id like to feel more comfy to shoot. Now the question is, should i bring my rifle to a gunsmith and have the barrel ported, or have an accubrake or muzzle brake installed?? Now i know the noise is going to be incresased, it's not a problem, i just wanna know, will either of these 2 choices harm the barrel, or what will be the best decision??
                      -Hunter Chasse -- .300 WBY MAG-

hemiallen

Re: Recoil Reducing for .300 WBY MAG: Barrel Porting or Muzzle Brake
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 09:38:42 PM »
Add a muzzle brake so you can remove it if either you hunt w/o ear protection, like when you deer or coyote hunt. Magnaport is permanent.....

What bullet weight would you use for vermints...err varmints? Are you wanting to excersize your weatherby for practice, or you don't have a dedicated small caliber for small game? I ask as I expect to get a good load for my 300 wby like I did my son's now-his 7 rem mag, and use it solely for deer/ elk hunts 1x a year.

Way too many better, cheaper, faster(?) calibers that don't let the next county know I am there, burn less powder, do less throat erosion, recoil less and may even let me see the impact..... 50 grn, 60 grn, 75 grn... much less recoil than 125 gn 30 cal's at "mach Weatherby".

22-250, 240 Wby, 243, 25-06, 257 Wby......

Just food for thought,

Allen

JB257460

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 05:11:28 AM »
HunterChasse,

Given the choices you provided for us to respond to, I'd say send it to Weatherby and have an Accubrake installed.  You'll have the comfort of knowing that your Weatherby is being worked on by the company.  The thread protector that's provided will give you the option of taking the brake off when situations demand it.

NotaVegetarian

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 06:02:00 AM »
The Weatherby accuebrake is the only choice. Having worked on many rifles with various porting options, the accuebrake is by far the most effective.

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 08:15:45 PM »
Personally I would send the rifle back to Weatherby and have them install the Accubreak.  The reason is the work is done by Weatherby and if you ever had to send the rifle back for repairs under warranty you wouldn't run into problems because they did the work.  I'm not saying anything bad about your gunsmith but I've seen the work some people have done who call themselves gunsmiths.  The other reason is the Accubreak works the best in reducing recoil and it is proven.  I will also tell you the noise will increase alot and when I hunt with my Accumark in .338-.378 I put an ear plug in my left ear since I'm a right handed shooter.  A final reason for my choice is that if Weatherby does the work you know it will be done right and it won't lower the value of the gun if you ever decide to sell it.
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

zonie

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 06:46:31 PM »
My accubrake is worth every penny,  good advice from all replys, sounds like they know their rifles.  Wish I had one on all my heavy hitting calibers.

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 11:39:13 AM »
If you're just looking to lower recoil to make varmint hunting easier on the shoulder, save your money a little longer.  The $175 plus shipping that it would cost to get Weatherby to install the Accubrake would get you half way to a nice little Vanguard Synthetic in 22-250 or 243Win, and you'd be much better suited going after anything coyote-sized or smaller with one of those.  Using the 300Wby for varmints is like trying to get a fly off your forehead with a hatchet.  I just don't think it's the right tool for the job.  Plus, you'll start needing a different optics setup for small varmints, so you're going to be investing a lot of money to try to make a rifle do something it's just not well suited for.  Ultimately, it's your choice, but I'd go save up for a suitable varmint rifle and go from there.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

HunterChasse

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 12:01:11 PM »
 I agree with what your saying 110%, but the main reason im doing the accubrake is to be a more comfortable shooter and more of an accurate one at 300-400 yards when shooting big game. The accubrake is going to be bought and installed for 200 bucks from a special arms licensed gunsmith, he's been approved by military arms, so i trust it. And about hunting yote's, it's not going to be to much of a go out and hunt them thing....it'll be a go out and hunt deer, or bear...and if i see a coyote ill be ready to take one. But anyway thanks for post.
                                   -Hunter Chasse -- .300 WBY MAG-

7mm-300wby

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2008, 07:22:35 PM »
The accubrake are very effective at reducing recoil. But if your looking to use the rifle off a by pod, l would look at a brake the does not have any porting on it lower side. The dust they kick up is huge.