Spike Camp

7mm wby 150 BT

7mm wby 150 BT
« on: December 09, 2019, 11:16:24 AM »
Two years ago I was hunting with my friend at his farm and we were hunting deer and bear (during PA deer season but bear overlapped the first week) out of his box blind, one side overlooked soybeans, the other side was corn. I was using my new 7mm wby mag and I shot both 160 partitions and 150 ballistic tips, the 150 BT's grouped better so I grabbed those for the hunt. To make a long story short, just before it got too dark to see, it was that dusky grainy part of the day, a nice bear is walking towards the box along the bean field and I shot it at around 120 yards and it went right down and 2 seconds later it got up and ran into the bean field. We searched that night and again the whole next day and never found that bear. We found blood, some mashed up bone but no bear.

To this day I run that shot through my head and here are the facts and my opinion of what happened:

The bear was walking towards me so my target was the chest/neck area.
I shot with the gun resting on the widow pane of the box blind, so steady rest.
I think I hit the shoulder/leg resulting in a non-lethal shot.

I posted this on another forum and most agreed that it was operator error but some pointed to the BT, saying it might be bullet failure.

I have been a little spooked by that so I go out with the partitions now but the BT's grouped really nice for factory ammo, so am I being unnecessarily wary or trying to convince myself that it wasn't my fault.

Tom

danno50

• View Profile
Re: 7mm wby 150 BT
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 03:32:18 PM »
Welcome to the Nation. What size groups were you shooting with the 160 grain ammo. (I prefer the heavier bullet in the 7mm also) Was that a 160 gr. partition or accubond? Its possible your rifle doesn't like the 160 gr. in that brand ammo, so you might try the 160 gr. in another brand for comparison. 
DosEquisShooter

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 10:34:25 PM »
I have had similar thing like that happen to me years ago when using 100 grain ballistic tips in my 25-06. Some projectiles would zip straight through without opening up, some would blow up on the hide without penetrating, then some would work perfectly and drop animals in their tracks. Needles to say I lost trust in them and switched projectiles.
I did then come back to the Combined Technology Ballistic Silvertip in 115 grains and used them for over 10 years.
Ultimately I think you would be best to switch as well. Just to gain your confidence that what you aim at is going to die. 
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 10:44:28 AM »
160 gr accubond , best of both worlds

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 06:15:57 PM »
If your rifle likes the 160s and you are confident using them, the use them. I definitely understand about the 150 BTs. I had one go off like a grenade and I stopped using them.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.