Spike Camp

Texas Oryx

Texas Oryx
« on: January 16, 2020, 08:56:14 PM »
First post on the forum so I figured this was as good a place as any to start. My profile picture is of my oryx I took down in south texas with my first weatherby, a mark v accumark 30-378 with a 210 gr berger vld, during the same trip down south i also took 2 whitetail does just for extra meat and i just absolutely love this rifle and caliber

txaggie

• If it bleeds we can kill it
    • View Profile
Re: Texas Oryx
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 10:49:12 PM »
Love that mount always looking for new ideas the wife wants one and a gemsbuck. Understand them to be great table fair as well,

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 07:09:37 AM »
The meat is by far one of my favorites it is excellent!

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 03:58:42 PM »
Nice looking critter that one. Congrats. I think they are quite a pretty antelope. I hunted my Scimitar horned oryx on a property here in Australia. I was using my .340 Wby and 250gr Barnes TSX's. We were hunting buffalo and scrub bulls at the time so that is why I used such a tough projectile.
(Sorry for the not so clear photo. I had to drop the res right down in order to post it up here.)
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 04:09:35 PM »
Way cool! They are awesome animals for sure and they do have a reputation for soaking up the lead

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2020, 04:46:32 PM »
Way cool! They are awesome animals for sure and they do have a reputation for soaking up the lead

Your not wrong about them being tough! I hit mine a bit to far back. Plus using the tough 250gr TSX it zipped straight thru him only clipping one lung. We searched for several hours that day but were unable to find him. Headed out early the next morning 4 of us headed in different directions and my mate who owned the property found where he double backed on us and was laying up in scraggy knoll. Another mate who was with him then hit him 3 times with his .340 wby before the thing decided it had had enough. I was filthy on myself for such a bad shot and it was the first time I have ever come close to losing an animal I had shot. 
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2020, 07:04:20 PM »
At least it all worked out in the end!