Spike Camp

Problems Entering the "Why I Want A Weatherby" Contest Please Help

ricky

Weatherby Contest Officials,
Is anyone else having the following problems other than me?

I seem to be having a problem uploading my video to the  "Why I Want A Weatherby" Contest! I know the deadline has now passed but I have been trying to upload my video every since 4 pm Yesterday (Wednesday 12-31-08) where-as my understanding was that the contest would actually end at 11:59 pm 12-31-08! My problem is that I keep getting a message stating  "uploading Submission. This may take a few minutes"   What exactly does this mean? Does this mean that the Weatherby server is being over run with too many uploads at the last minute? Or does this mean something entirely different?  Is there a way that I can find out if my video actually got through? Am I going to be considered too late even though i tried to upload it at around 4 pm? Or do you consider when the video was actually sent, rather than when it was actually received? One last question! Should I go ahead and get out of the web page where I am trying to upload or should I continue to allow the video to try and go through? 
I ask this question because I have just been allowing the web page to stay open and see if the video will ever get through! Sounds Crazy I know but that's how much we love your product!!!
Please Advise,

Thanks You,

Ricky...     
God Bless.

Re: Problems Entering the "Why I Want A Weatherby" Contest Please Help
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 01:43:42 PM »
Your video was larger than 25MB and the error message wasn't showing up correctly (it shows up UNDER text that says "uploading Submission. This may take a few minutes"!!!) or (as only a possibility I am unsure of) you were being disconnected from the internet at times after you began uploading the file and there was no programming to handle that if you reconnected.  (A status bar and updated errors would have been nice!)

If your upload had been completed, you should have been sent to a page saying so -- that your video has been uploaded, placed in a queue, and you will receive an e-mail when it is added.  Unfortunately, I've seen no guarantee to notify if you if you've tried to upload videos and fail, and then time lapsed, or if you submitted a video that did not meet specifications (submitted 1 minute after deadline, video is 2:05 long and there was no check in programming to stop it, it had objectionable content, etc.)  It's rather unfortunate.

ricky

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 07:28:28 PM »
Nubbert,

Thank you very much for your response on this matter. You're right, it is rather unfortunate! I really wanted a chance to win that custom weatherby...However; i do appreacaite the fact that you thought enough of my concern to respond.... Custmer service means a lot to a man when he invests his hard earned money into a product. The fact that you responded proves that i'm spending my money with the right company and for the right product.

If anyone else is reading this post i would like to state this> If you don't already have a Weatherby or if you've never shot a Weatherby you're really missing a treat> doesn't have to be the most expensive model on the shelf>>> doesn't have to be spank brand new>but if there is any way you can get to shoot one, by all means please do so. So far i've bought two, both used because i cannot afford a new one. I'll tell you what though> these guns will flat out shot.... period>>>

"THAT'S Why I Want A Weatgherby"

Thanks again Nubbert,

God Bless.

Ricky...     
God Bless.

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 01:30:17 AM »
The joke is on you, Ricky, I guess.

I'm not a Weatherby employee, just someone who ran into one of the two issues I suggested above, and surmised the other possibility as to the issue you may have had.  Unfortunately, I am just another concerned user who uploaded a video successfully, yet have not seen it posted even as other known-submitted-later videos have been added to the gallery.

Did you ascertain from my post what problem you might have actually had (not that it is of any effect for me, since you didn't reach the 'successful submission' page)?

ohr61

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 02:17:36 AM »
Weatherby Contest Officials,
Is anyone else having the following problems other than me?

I seem to be having a problem uploading my video to the  "Why I Want A Weatherby" Contest! I know the deadline has now passed but I have been trying to upload my video every since 4 pm Yesterday (Wednesday 12-31-08) where-as my understanding was that the contest would actually end at 11:59 pm 12-31-08!

````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Ricky,

I also had problems submitting my video due to the 25 mg limit. I started submitting about 12/10. I finally had success the day after Christmas, using my webcam. It was just under 25 mg.

I don't want to be critical, but why did you try a submission so close to the deadline?
Procrastination will cost you...
Orison Rollins

"Life is Tremendous"

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 03:24:42 PM »
Procrastination does suck.

I found the 25 MB limit curious since these videos are shunted to YouTube, which, if I recall correctly, allows 200-300MB uploads and simply compresses them for online viewing.  What Weatherby is doing in the middle, I do not know.

Any video you make that's not a direct webcam start-to-finish is probably going to be huge and will need compression.  I had a 220MB video that would have made it on YouTube but not through the Weatherby entry site, so I used VirtualDub and XviD compression to take it down to just under 25MB, with reasonable loss of quality.  You really shouldn't be worried about making big videos when you have free software out there, like VirtualDub and the codecs it might use to compress, that make it (fairly) easy to create the video you want, at the size you want.

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 07:57:05 PM »
According to dates submitted, most of us were procastinators! In fact, I came home from work and the website said the time was already up. Then I checked the rules again and it said midnight. So I made a quick sincere video anyway and uploaded it and that was like 11 pm Chicago time. Then I regretted not putting more time into it because even though the website stated it was too late, in reality it wasn't and it accepted the video. It took till the next day, like 12 hours to actually appear.

ricky

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 10:26:28 PM »
Nubbert,
i guess the joke is on me... you're right i did think you were a weatherby employee. But just the same i do apprecaite your input. it at least gave me some insight into what could have possibly gone wrong. To answer your question i have not been able to figure out exactly what the problem was. after i read your response i guess i just decided it was not going to go through so i just kinda gave up... not good i know but oh well... maybe next time. i hope yours get submitted soon and good luck to you on the contest.

ohr61,
i think you answered your own question concerning why i waited so late... you're right.. in this case procrastination just cost me a chance of a lifetime. i have no excuses other than the fact that i waited till the last minute... too much time hunting i guess. to be honest, i still thought that as long as i got it in (even though it was at the last minute) it would still make it. maybe they actually have it and just have not posted it yet. we'll see.

God Bless.
God Bless.