Spike Camp

Sighting in new cds scope

Jp338

Sighting in new cds scope
« on: February 17, 2020, 06:46:04 PM »
Help please. Never owned a new leupold cds scope. Help from start to finish on new sight in. So I just turn the top turret to get  dialed in then  loosen all set screws and take it back to zero after happy with elevation ?  Sorry for such a dumb question but never owned any scope but old school.

Re: Sighting in new cds scope
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 09:58:44 PM »
You have to contact leupold and send them the ballistic info for your round. Once you get the dial do exactly what you said and set zero at your specific distance. Loosen the screws and line up the dial with the mark on the scope. I have 2 and they will get you close but if you are shooting longer ranges practice at those ranges don't just trust the cds system.
a 1/2" group is good enough for the girls I go with!

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 04:45:10 PM »
If you're just using the turret it came with then yes once you get zeroed in loosen the screws and turn it back to 0. Once it's set back to zero though you can't adjust the scope to go down on elevation,only up unless you loosen the screws again and turn.

Jp338

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2020, 06:56:46 AM »
im going to sight in @ 200 yards with the turret it came with, then replace with cds dial from leupold ( based on info i sent to leupold ), do i sight in as normal then replace with new turret and set @ sighted in distance marked on new dial?

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020, 09:16:30 PM »
You'll sight in at 200 yards and when you give leupold your ballistic information it'll ask you the yardage you sighted in at so if you tell them 200 yards then your custom made turret will start at 2 so just drop it on at 2. It won't be like the factory one that started at 0 it will start at 2. I sighted mine in at 100 so my custom turret started at 1.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 08:05:17 AM »
 I sighted mine in at 100 so my custom turret started at 1.
[/quote]

Same here
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

Jp338

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2020, 09:33:38 AM »
thanks for the help guys!

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2020, 01:19:45 PM »
Mine tracks good and is right on every time so far.I've got to where I trust it now and not always checking it.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.