Spike Camp

SA-08 Piston Noise

SA-08 Piston Noise
« on: March 02, 2020, 02:01:25 PM »
I just got a new SA-08 when the gun is turned upside down there you can hear a loud noise as the piston slides down the magazine tube.

Is this normal should there be an o ring somewhere?

Never heard or seen a gas piston slide loosely on a mag tube before it is very annoying.

Re: SA-08 Piston Noise
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2020, 07:49:03 AM »
Greetings from Grouse Country Canada. I have a 2014 SA08 synthetic 12 gauge. Your question leaves me a bit puzzled as the action spring would have the bolt carrier pressing the piston up into the barrel's gas port housing. Mine will not rattle at all if the action is closed. If the bolt is locked back the piston can slide down the magazine tube and make a sound. My SA08 will make a noise if the gun is shaken. My Remington 1187 Premier will definitely rattle if the bolt is locked back.

This is a dumb question, but have you fired the gun? Will it cycle? I suppose it would be possible to assemble the gun with the piston in the wrong place (ie. behind the bolt carrier) But if that were the case it definitely would not cycle. You have not stated whether your gun is a 12 or a 20, or whether you have the light or heavy piston installed, but there is no O ring required in the assembly. By the way, we actually have 2 12 gauge SA08's and both have been flawless in operation. Never a fail to eject, cycle or fire in either.