Spike Camp

Turkey Season

224KING

• View Profile
Turkey Season
« on: March 08, 2020, 09:21:53 PM »
I saw Toms strutting several places over the weekend.I don't think the hens are ready though.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

Re: Turkey Season
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 10:19:55 PM »
I haven't noticed any strutting in MI yet. But I'm sure it's close. Snow is gone. And I have seen blue birds and robins.  And the sandhill cranes are back.So love is in the Air.
Mark

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 05:56:39 PM »
I’m excited for April 4!
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 06:05:58 PM »
I have seen birds out in the fields. I don’t hunt them but enjoy seeing them in the spring(hate seeing and hearing them in the fall during deer season). I think it starts pretty late here in Indiana. Most states are almost done by the time our starts.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

wby4ever

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 07:16:55 PM »
I don't think the turkeys ever stop strutting in Ohio. These guys were revved up in November!

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 02:09:31 PM »
I have everything ready to go except for a few Winchester Long Beard # 5's down the barrel to make sure the aim point is still on. Turkey season will be a welcome sight even more this year with what's going on with the world.

Terry
Guns have two enemies....rust and government
OFHA and CCFR member

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2020, 02:27:07 PM »
This quarantine is killing me.  Turkey season started last weekend here in GA, and have not been able to go out one single day.  Maybe next weekend.  ;D
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2020, 04:27:42 PM »
It was 42 this morning here and the Toms were really working the Hens.We had cloud cover and it was chilly.I saw at least 20 long beards.It was amazing.Seemed like they were everywhere just right off the county roads just inside the fence on numerous wheat fields.I think they like to push the hens up against the fence and make them watch while they strut around.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2020, 09:12:31 AM »
Music to my ears!! Sure hope its still going on 5 days from now!! Hoping to get my first ever Xbow turkey this year.
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2020, 10:36:04 AM »
I don't think I'm going at this point.  My area is 200 miles north. More turkeys down here but I just like where I deer hunt. But with MI being in A lock down every thing closed . If I had any trouble at all. I would be up the creek. The northern part of MI can't handle an overflow. So they frown on the flat landers comming up there right now. They need our money but they don't want it right now. And I don't blame them. I want to go more just to be in the woods. And A change of scenery for A 2 day hunt. Will see how things look in 3 weeks.
Mark

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2020, 10:44:39 AM »
This quarantine is killing me.  Turkey season started last weekend here in GA, and have not been able to go out one single day.  Maybe next weekend.  ;D

Isn’t outside all by yourself in the woods just as effective as being in your house?
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2020, 01:50:54 PM »
Turkeys really.  ;D  There are so many around here, my brother in law says he hates them anymore and he use to turkey hunt.  He says the turkeys hurt the Ruffed Grouse population, that's why he does not like them.  Well something did happen to the Ruffed Grouse, years ago you saw many of them in the woods, its not like that anymore. I couldn't tell you the last time I saw a ruffed grouse on my land.

I could step out of the house and shoot a big Gobbler no problem, but what fun would that be?  They have been struting for a month or so.  One time there was 10 gobblers and six Jakes running around, plus 12 or more hens.  They are either in the front yard or behind the house everyday.