Spike Camp

South Africa ammunition regulations

South Africa ammunition regulations
« on: March 10, 2020, 03:05:57 PM »
Checking with TSA I can pack my ammo and rifles together. But Iím not clear on south africa policy. Some things I see say ammo must be packed separately.  Anyone else from the USA, who has hunted South Africa, what did you do? I was thinking of bringing a small pelican case to stow the ammo. What say you?

Re: South Africa ammunition regulations
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 04:45:31 PM »
Checking with TSA I can pack my ammo and rifles together. But Iím not clear on south africa policy. Some things I see say ammo must be packed separately.  Anyone else from the USA, who has hunted South Africa, what did you do? I was thinking of bringing a small pelican case to stow the ammo. What say you?

Pretty sure it has to be in a ammo case
Sent you a message

Mike .257

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2020, 11:49:03 PM »
I have always packed mine in a lockable container and separate from my rifles.
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2020, 05:59:33 PM »
Ammo has to be separate luggage in a lockable case. Have you done your 520 form for SAPS and S A customs. You need your rifle documented on a current US Customs form 4473. Rifle must be brought to US Customs office. Make an appointment with US Customs. SCI can help you or AfricaSky ($150 fee)

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 06:51:14 AM »
I missed this somehow, so my apologies.

I live in South Africa. You can download the regulations from the websites; but I guess a lot of it is a moot point now given how travel restrictions work. Despite what it has said on the sites in the past they have pretty much insisted on a lockable separate (i.e. not in the gun case) container. I also use a small Pelican case, but thy are heavy. You can also use a petty cash tin, or I've even used and old MTM pistol case with the lining torn out (very light). The weight cannot exceed 5kg for the ammo. One worthwhile trick is to weigh it without the padlocks in place and to put them on at the gun check counter.
I shoot cases with a belt because I feel the other cartridges need to pull their trousers up.