Spike Camp

First Weatherby and bolt action

First Weatherby and bolt action
« on: March 16, 2020, 06:49:21 PM »
Hey guys new member here! I picked up my first bolt action earlier this year which ended up being a Mark V synthetic in .300 wby mag for $550. Anyone know much about these synthetic models? I called weatherby and gave them the serial number they told me the barrel was made by criterion and that the muzzle brake was aftermarket of course. I through a Vortex viper PST on it, pachmayr decelerator slip on pad and painted the stock and I am pretty happy with how it came out. Finally got to shoot it using Weatherby factory ammo and I was impressed with the grouping. I plan to zero it out to 300 yards next time I go out. Another question, I plan on mainly hunting mule deer and elk. I plan on using the weatherby 165 grain nosler ballistic tip. Id really like to stick 165 grain, but does anyone have any suggestions on other ammo I should consider? Id really like to use the 165 barnes ttsx but it does not seem like its being produced anymore. Thank you!

224KING

• View Profile
Re: First Weatherby and bolt action
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 04:32:52 AM »
Nice rifle and great shooter.

The Noslers are a little destructive at close range and I think the TTSX's are a better choice.You might go up to the 180 grain factory ammo for Elk.

The synthetic is Weatherby's economy line.We call the stocks Tupperware and the bluing is flat compared to the high gloss job that the Deluxe models get.
Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

Blackbear3

• In God We Trust!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 04:58:05 AM »
Welcome, if you really want the 165 TTSX-MidwayUSA still has them in stock. But the 180s seem to be the go to weight for most of the 300 Bees, let us know how your rifle likes them.
We stand for the Flag, and we kneel for the fallen!!!

Doug-NRA Life Member

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 07:45:56 AM »
your rifle is an early fibermark, not a synthetic. It has the mc millian stock on it, you can tell by the white diamond and the rough texture on the stock. You did well for $550.  The factory 165 gr ballistic tips will work for elk, and your rifle likes them by the looks of it, but like 224 king said expect  more meat damage.  If you can't find ant 165 gr ttsx ammo, try some of the 180 gr loads, and see if your rifle likes them.

Rob
cfp-223REM
accumark-223Rem
ultralite-240 Wby
synthetic-240 Wby
synthetic-257 Wby
ultralite-270 Wby
fibermark-270 Wby
accumark-270 Wby
accumark-7mm Wby
stainless-300 Wby
fibermark-300Wby
accumark-30378 Wby
fibermark-340 Wby
accumark-338378 Wby
custom-375 Wby
DGR-378 Wby
DGR-416 Wby
custom DGR-460 Wby

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 05:53:51 PM »
I didn't blow it up and look close at it Catskinner.If it is that old I wonder if it has the Criterion barrel on it.Those came later on down the road didn't they?Especially if it's a 24 inch barrel.
Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 07:04:08 PM »
I don't recall exactly when they starting using criterion barrels, but I'm thinking it might be a little later on, maybe not. But that stock and bottom metal, is early fibermark, could be someone upgraded the stock and bottom metal from a fibermark??? 

Rob
cfp-223REM
accumark-223Rem
ultralite-240 Wby
synthetic-240 Wby
synthetic-257 Wby
ultralite-270 Wby
fibermark-270 Wby
accumark-270 Wby
accumark-7mm Wby
stainless-300 Wby
fibermark-300Wby
accumark-30378 Wby
fibermark-340 Wby
accumark-338378 Wby
custom-375 Wby
DGR-378 Wby
DGR-416 Wby
custom DGR-460 Wby

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2020, 07:16:25 PM »
Nice rifle and great shooter.

The Noslers are a little destructive at close range and I think the TTSX's are a better choice.You might go up to the 180 grain factory ammo for Elk.

The synthetic is Weatherby's economy line.We call the stocks Tupperware and the bluing is flat compared to the high gloss job that the Deluxe models get.

thats what I have been told about the Noslers. I originally was going to just go with the 180gr TTSX but I wasn't sure if 180gr bullet would be too big for deer and Javelina. The unit I like to hunt has an OTC javelina deprivation hunt year round so I always have a tag for it just in case. But i could always a smaller grain bullet for the smaller game and then bump up for elk

your rifle is an early fibermark, not a synthetic. It has the mc millian stock on it, you can tell by the white diamond and the rough texture on the stock. You did well for $550.  The factory 165 gr ballistic tips will work for elk, and your rifle likes them by the looks of it, but like 224 king said expect  more meat damage.  If you can't find ant 165 gr ttsx ammo, try some of the 180 gr loads, and see if your rifle likes them.

Rob

oh wow that is good to know!! which makes sense because when I took the stock off it looked a fiberglass type material.  This grouping was actually the 180gr weatherby norma spitzer I think they were called.I have not put 165 gr through it yet but I hope to see. I just get worried damage on smaller game with the 180 but it sounds like the 165 noslers would do more damage than I thought. So would a 165 nosler ballstic tip do more damage than the 180gr ttsx? I am new to all this and bullet selection. Besides this all I have is a Ar-15 in 6.5 grendel and the ammo selection is pretty sparse so all I the horndary 123gr custom SST. So is the ballistic tip similar to the SST?

I did talk to Adam Weatherby and he said the 180gr would be perfect elk and mule deer. I just didn't think about smaller deer, antelope or javelina. I guess I was just looking for a one size fits all bullet but it might be better to switch grains and bullets depending on the game.

I didn't blow it up and look close at it Catskinner.If it is that old I wonder if it has the Criterion barrel on it.Those came later on down the road didn't they?Especially if it's a 24 inch barrel.

I was told it was a 26" barrel

If it helps it says “Weatherby South Gate California, Made in Japan”

And the serial number is H168956
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 07:36:49 PM by Robbie_Moodster »

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2020, 08:33:10 PM »
with that serial # it's a fibermark.  8)  and shooting groups like that with 180 gr ammo, you are pretty much good to go. You can try the 180 gr ttsx ammo to see how it shoots, but I would have no problem using the spitzers on what you are going to hunt at reasonable ranges. The 165 gr ballistic tips will do more damage than the 180's because 1) the ballistic tips are designed to open up quite fast, and 2) they are travelling faster than the 180, so when you combine the faster speed and softer bullet, more meat damage occurs.  The ballistic tips are very similar to the sst's.

Rob
cfp-223REM
accumark-223Rem
ultralite-240 Wby
synthetic-240 Wby
synthetic-257 Wby
ultralite-270 Wby
fibermark-270 Wby
accumark-270 Wby
accumark-7mm Wby
stainless-300 Wby
fibermark-300Wby