Spike Camp

Just ordered my first weatherby - seeking add on advice

Just ordered my first weatherby - seeking add on advice
« on: June 01, 2020, 11:10:58 PM »
Hi all,

I just welcomed myself to the world of weatherby, well as in I ordered my new rifle from the custom shop today.
I’m a lefty shooter and opted for the 7mm mag setup on a weathermark LT.  I went custom as I really love the look of the kuiu camo on the setup.  I’m an east coast hunter, so primarily deer for now, but want to get out west for elk and expand from there.
I’m looking for advice on some add ons that some with experience could point me towards.
Scope - I’m thinking a leupold VX-5 HD 3-15x44
Bipod - I like the Harris I’ve used on other rifles.
Just wanted to pick some brains on those add ons, see if anybody has any other suggestions.
Also for the ammo, it looks like options are more limited than some other calibers, but I’m thinking of starting off with the 154 Hornady.
Unfortunately reloading isn’t an option currently so I’ll be ordering, just wanted to see if the group favors other offerings in this setup.
Thank you in advance!
Looking forward to joining the nation!

Re: Just ordered my first weatherby - seeking add on advice
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 01:01:40 AM »
Welcome.

Congratulations on your new rifle, chambered in a great cartridge.

WE all have our own ideas on these things, so this is just an opinion and my hunting and requirements will likely differ a great deal from yours. Because of that these are more considerations than recommendations.

For scope selection I do think the choice depends on what you need and what your intended purpose is. For hunting rifles I am a big Leupold fan, although I have many VX3's and one VX6 and no VX5's (yet!). What does an east coast hunter need? Am I right in thinking more short range hunting and dark wooded areas? (I'm not from the US!)

If it is close range a lower magnification like a 3X is useful at the bottom and field of view is relevant and good glass like the VX5 HD is useful too for bad light. I also like a fixed parallax scope if ranges are shorter as they are pretty much "in focus" for all hunting ranges. Some scopes are really sensitive on focus for small changes in range and that is a pain when you have the setting wrong and bump an animal at close range for example. This can be overcome to some extent by choosing a sort of "midrange" setting. You need to check that ideally with the scope itself.

If you need to hike weight can be a consideration. The VX5 you like is almost 20 oz. The VX3i 4.5-14 (a favourite for me) is 16 oz with side parallax and a 30mm tube and 13 oz with a 25mm tube and fixed parallax. Over time I've tended more towards the lighter scopes. Also consider the height of the scope above the receiver, so a large objective requires mounting higher which I find makes me a bit slower on point or instinctive offhand shooting. I think .257 has a few of the VX5's and hopefully he provides some insight on them specifically.

I've had good luck with Harris on hunting rifles and an AR for IPSC. They are robust and rifles can shoot extremely well off them. By most accounts the "rip offs" last less well. Some guys like Atlas and other brands, so check them out too.

I'm not a fan of the Interlock for hunting, but it should kill most deer just fine, but expect a lot of meat damage if you can't put it behind the shoulder. In my opinion it is not reliable if big bones are hit; particularly at high velocity like in the 7mm Wby at close range. Others may disagree. I would recommend the 160gr Partition as a far better choice for hunting and the 140gr TTSX is also an option. The total cost is low considering how few shots you will take at game and considering the cost of poor performance. I prefer to have total confidence in my choice.

All the best with your choices. Let us know what you go for.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 01:27:42 AM by African Leadwood »
I shoot cases with a belt because I feel the other cartridges need to pull their trousers up.

txaggie

• If it bleeds we can kill it
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 02:28:51 AM »
weathermark LT is a cool one - I've been sitting on the sidelines to see if they offer a 6.5rpm in a LH version.

Have several vx-3 between them and meoptas they are my favorite mid value good all around optics for my uses here in texas.

Ammo - probably the biggest limiting factor in people choosing 7mmwby is the lack of factory offerings if you don't reload. Don't own a 7mm wby, but I to believe what leadwood stated if close ranges is 90% of what you'll experience I would stick to tougher premium bullets. You could also try federal trophy bonded, I have shot them in my STW and WSM with good accuracy and performance. 160 grain bullets are my favorites and the most accurate in my 7's.

Welcome to the club

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 05:39:18 AM »
Welcome, glad to see you made it.
Life is to short to hunt with an ugly rifle.

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 07:29:13 AM »
Welcome to the Nation.
The 7mm Weatherby is a great cartridge. You will only find those 154 gn bullets in factory ammo from Hornady and Weatherby, but consider the 140-160gn loads from Federal, Nosler and Weatherby. Swift doesn’t have 7mm a Wby ammo and won’t likely have it soon, which is too bad because their 150gn Scirocco II in a 7mm Wby very fast and bang-flop effective.
I don’t use Barnes bullets but if you can find TSX or TTSX bullets in factory ammo you might have a great match for your a Weatherby.
I got lucky with my 7mm Wby. It likes my handloads from 140-162gn and it came down to what load I wanted to use vs what the rifle liked best.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2020, 07:45:19 AM »
I own two 7mm Weatherbys, and for the last 3-4 years I've been hunting with my stainless model.  You can find inexpensive Weatherby ammo, but it all boils to what your rifle likes to shoot.  For my hunting here in GA, I've been using factory Weatherby ammo in 139 grs PT-EX.  This is old stock, but my rifle likes them and works here in GA. 
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2020, 07:58:14 AM »
great choice in rifle and caliber  8)

great choice in scope

i'm not a bipod fan of any kind, so I can't comment on them. I like to keep my rifles light and simple, when hunting, and just use my pack, rock, tree, etc for a rest.

As for ammo, that's about the only gripe I have on the 7mm wby over the 270 Wby, is the availability of ammo, or brass in my area, always a lot harder to find. The factory 154 gr load is a pretty decent load, I have seen them used on elk, moose, and mule deer, and they worked fine. If your shots are close(under 100 yards) you will get a little more meat damage, if you do the shoulder shot. The 120 and 140 gr ttsx, 160 gr partition loads are fine options as well. I like the 175 gr load, but it might be a little more than you want,  ::) . The federal 160 gr load another good option. Now just find the one your rifle likes  8)

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2020, 08:08:24 AM »
Nice choice in gun and caliber.
Leupold VX-5, 3x15x44. I have a couple of these scopes and can't say enough good things about them. Very good glass, on the lower  magnifications it is very forgiving, easy to center on your eye. I like the locking turret on a hunting scope, good feature with this scope.
I wanted to check the tracking on the first one l purchased so l did a 6" box test with it. The scope tracked perfectly. I went with the wind plex reticle and really like it. The scope has low profile turrets which is also a plus on a hunting rifle. I would highly recommend this scope

Ammunition, 154 grain Hornady interlock. Years ago l tested this bullet extensively. For accuracy and performance on game. Bullet recovery box at 15 yards out of 7mm Remington mag it would weigh up about 50 percent but would not blow up completely. On deer sized game it did do some damage if it hit the shoulder but not bad if placed behind the shoulder. All exited. Elk, only one was shot, hit behind the shoulder, no exit, bullet weighed up in the 50 percent range.
Doing a quick check on factory ammo, l would look at the Hornady 139 grain GMX offering, and the Weatherby 160 grain partition
I believe the 160 grain partition would be a good all around choice. Didn't see any factory Barnes in my check.

This has been my experiences, hopefully it's helpful
Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2020, 08:14:32 AM »
Looks like catskinner was posting as l was typing
A lot of the same information
Mike

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2020, 08:15:21 AM »
If you'll keep an eye on gunbroker for the factory 154 grain ammo you usually can get it pretty cheap.I don't why it goes so cheap sometimes.Don't be afraid of it if you find it in the old yellow abd white animal picture boxes either.It will still perform just as it did 40 years ago.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2020, 09:45:37 AM »
Thanks for the replies so far
African leadwood - yes, I am in ny so it’s almost all hardwoods and shorter range.  But I will be going west so want something that will help with both.
Elkhntr08 - thanks, good to see you caught my first here after pointing me this way!

All others, great info, it sounds like 160 grain may be my best bet.  Unfortunately I’ve got a little wait till my rifle gets here so I’ve got some time to think about it, and see what other response come in.  If I think about any other particular questions about ammo I’ll be sure to pose them back here.

Also the bipod is more for bench shooting / just to sight in and get more comfortable with the rifle.  Once that occurs, I probably won’t use it too often on the range and definitely not in the woods.

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2020, 12:37:33 PM »
I’d second Mike on the VX5HD scopes. Just mounted a 3-15x44 on my 257. Have one on my 300 also. Very pleased so far. Mine are both the FireDot model.
Life is to short to hunt with an ugly rifle.

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2020, 09:27:33 AM »
7mm Rem. Mag?

7mm Wby. Mag?

I like the 160...162gr in 7mm. for 1 gun 1 bullet setup.

if you want speed go for 140s.

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2020, 11:13:03 AM »
7mm Rem. Mag?

7mm Wby. Mag?

I like the 160...162gr in 7mm. for 1 gun 1 bullet setup.

if you want speed go for 140s.

7mm wby mag.  Looking at the 160’s to start