Spike Camp

NEAR mfg bases....worth the money??

NEAR mfg bases....worth the money??
« on: June 16, 2020, 07:58:06 PM »
Hello all! I am new here.

I recently purchased my first weatherby. A beautiful American Mark V Lazermark in 257 Wby Mag.

I've dreamed of owning a Weatherby since i was about knee-high so i was thrilled to finally afford one.

Anyway, I purchased a preowned Nightforce NXS 5.5x22x50 for a great deal to mount on this rifle. I was then shocked by the small selection of mounts available for Mark V's. I was recommend to NEAR mfg mounts and they look fantastic but MAN are they proud of them.

So, for those who have used the NEAR's... are they really worth it? I dont mind paying if its really the best. So far my only other idea are the talley lightweights for an 1/8th of the price.

This rifle will never see use past 500 yards, since i live in the midwest. However id like to achieve as much precision as i can at those ranges.

Any help is appreciated and i look forward to learning more from this forum, thanks!
A gun has two enemies: rust, and politicians.

• View Profile
Re: NEAR mfg bases....worth the money??
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 06:32:48 AM »
Haven't seen or used the NEAR products. I use the nightforce rail and nightforce rings. The setup is a little heavy but very solid.
Mike

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 04:52:42 PM »
I have the NEAR rail on my 30-378 and although it looks great and works great, it is quite difficult for me to get my hand in there to load the magazine. So difficult in fact I am thinking of changing to talley one piece rings and bases.
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 05:09:24 PM »
BB340, i didnt think about that one. I wonder if that would as much of an issue with the smaller 257 cartridge...
A gun has two enemies: rust, and politicians.

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2020, 06:38:47 PM »
BB340, i didnt think about that one. I wonder if that would as much of an issue with the smaller 257 cartridge...

I'm not sure if you would. It may be ok with the smaller .257 but with the big 30-378 it is quite a pain in the arse.
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2022, 11:30:55 AM »
I haven't had an issue with the Near mount loading my 340. Perhaps because I don't have sausage fingers, LOL!