Spike Camp

Red Dot/Holographic Sight Question

DW5

• View Profile
Red Dot/Holographic Sight Question
« on: June 18, 2020, 08:49:55 PM »
Recently took the plunge and bought my first ever .223/5.56 in the AR-15 platform. Iíve had a 10 for a while now but never owned a 15 till now. Iíve never used a red dot style sight before but am thinking of trying it out on the new rifle. Iím basically looking for any thoughts/tips anyone would think handy for a newbie.

Right now Iím looking at a UTG micro simply because I really like how all of their products I currently own hold zero when being switched on and off a rifle. This will be important to me as I also plan on running a 3-9x40 Leupold on the rifle as well... maybe a night vision optic eventually too. Iím by no means set on the UTG however.

I am also wondering if I need to get a riser of some sort for the sight.

Also, I do know weight is a consideration to a decent extent so, whatever I do, like to keep that in mind.
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

Grouchy

• Let those without sin cast the first stone
    • View Profile
Re: Red Dot/Holographic Sight Question
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 01:58:42 AM »
I like the EO Tech with the 5 moa circle and 1 moa dot. Some have way too big a dot IMO. The E O Tech tend to eat batteries, so I got the one that uses AA batteries.  :)

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 02:16:07 AM »
I have only one AR. I run a 1-6X scope on it with illumination. There are now also 1-8 power scopes. Many of these are true 1 power at the bottom and have daylight visible illumination. Some are reasonably priced and others can be very expensive like Swaro / S&B / Kahles / Nightforce etc.

This would quite possibly avoid having to run a dot and a 3-9 from time to time. I use only this scope with a quick throw lever to move magnification up and down as required and close targets are no problem and field of view is massive and blending is good at 1X and in my opinion there would be no advantage to a dot over the 1X scope, aside form size and weight. That is just one suggestion.

Some guys run a dot on a 45 degree offset mount and a scope for longer shots, but the idea of twisting the rifle to one side up close and turning it back does not appeal to me, but that can also work depending on what you feel you want to use the dot for and means you can leave your optics set up and sighted in.
I shoot cases with a belt because I feel the other cartridges need to pull their trousers up.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 07:19:25 AM »
Thanks guys!

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2020, 07:58:18 AM »
I like red dot sights (have a Vortex on my AR-15), but if you have astigmatism (I do) you are going to see a starburst shape instead of a sharp dot. I get by ok with that, but something to keep in mind. A lot of these sights include a riser. My Vortex did, so I didn't need to buy one.
Come and take it.

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2020, 08:28:52 AM »
My 5.56 upper has a Nikon M223 3-12 on it. The last Nikon l have and donít se a reason to change.
On the .458 upper, I went with the Burris MTAC 1-6 with the QD mount. So far I like it a lot. The lighted reticle is great. At 1, itís as good as any EoTec and 6x is more than enough for the SOCOM. I like the fact that if the battery goes dead, Iím not out of the fight.
Have a ACOG on a SBR and didnít like the chevron reticle. Just me.
I do know that the EoTec doesnít like the heat or sand. Seen several that have failed.
I guess it all depends on what your wanting to do with your AR. I can tell you to be careful, they can become a DEEP money pit. 👍
Life is to short to hunt with an ugly rifle.

zonie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2020, 09:13:45 AM »
Simple is good, personally I think you can overload too much sighting equipment on these types of platforms.  Good low powered illuminated scope and maybe a set of Yankee hill flip up sights.   Right now  ours has a little Nikon 3 x 9 and Yankee  Hill flips ups , but if I were to switch anything it would be to a 1 x 6 or 8   illuminated scope of some type.    Maybe see what the 3 gun guy's are using for sighting equipment and even then it might not be what you are looking for.  Keep the gun light , keep the gun reliable,  and don't make it so complicated it slows you down. 

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2020, 09:30:13 AM »
Itís just something I wanted to try out and see how I liked it. Iím sure Iíll get around to it too, maybe right away, maybe Iíll wait a bit. Iím also kinda toying with the idea of just attaching a light of some sort, maybe a light laser combo, and something I could easily take on and off, and just running the Leupold only for a while. Not that the light would preclude me from getting the red dot, just maybe hold off on buying everything all at once. Like Elkhntr said, it can get expensive! Also, as Zonie points outs, I may find a set of flip ups does everything Iím after...here is a pic of the rifle. Savage MSR-15 Recon 2.0. I was initially after the camo version but I couldnít find a single one in stock all over the country!

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2020, 10:37:37 AM »
Nice touch with the stars and stripes ;).
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2020, 10:58:52 AM »
I didnít mention that I have a rail mounted Surefire light and a milspec green laser. With all that mounted, it not as handy.
Your on the edge of the rabbit hole.
Jim
Life is to short to hunt with an ugly rifle.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2020, 11:24:24 AM »
Thanks Danno!

Elk- Yeah, as far as the laser/light, if I go that route, Iíd want as light as possible and also something that could easily be taken on/off. What I absolutely donít want to do is make the rifle cumbersome. 

Grouchy

• Let those without sin cast the first stone
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2020, 11:53:51 AM »
A holo graphic is about as light as you can go. Red dots are as light weight but I'm not a fan of projecting any light. They give away my location too easily.  :)

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2020, 10:13:31 AM »
DW, I have several red dots/holographic sights, from Eo-Tech (Battery eaters), Aimpoint, C-more, Vortex and Khales.  For the money, you can't beat the Vortex Strike Fire.  I've purchased several from Palmetto State Armory for $99.99, and they normally run around $159.99.   These Vortex have served me well, and have no issues with them.  You get a green & a red dot.  What do you want to do with this scope??  For recreational plinking, some hunting and maybe self defense, that Vortex will not disappoint you.  Another option that you want to consider is getting a 1-5 scope.  You can set the scope on 1 power, and shoot with both eyes open, and if you need a little more precision you have 4 other magnifications.  Just a thought.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2020, 07:20:33 PM »
Thanks for the reply Para! Iím starting out with a 3-9 Leupold and hopefully I can get out few dot scopes before I decide to buy one but the idea of getting a scope that has 1x magnification and just not worrying about changing anything does have some appeal.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2020, 05:38:02 AM »
DW, my next set up will have a scope (no batteries needed), and a micro red dot on a 45 degree mount.  Out of all the ones I listed that has a decent battery life are the Aimpoint, C-more & Vortex, in that order.  I don't know what it is with the Eo-Tech that even while power down, the battery still being used.  The bad thing about red dots is that the battery will die in the most inopportune time.  Luckily my failures have been during shooting matches, and not a real life situation.  LOL!!!!  I hope this helps.