Spike Camp

50ae desert eagle

50ae desert eagle
« on: June 22, 2020, 09:23:23 PM »
I’ve been asked to reload for one of these. I’ve never reloaded for a semi auto. H110 and 325 speers  is the only thing I found on the Hodgdon site. Probably fine but I was wondering if I should try to find something with a crimp groove. One of the reviews on midway said this was the most reliable feed for this gun. Anybody reload or know someone that does for this gun?

Re: 50ae desert eagle
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 12:57:36 AM »
I don't have one, but a 50 AE always sounded like a lot of fun to me.

There is data in my Lyman Pistol and Revolver manual and I'll take a look for you and see if there are any comments / recommendations.

If you require a crimp I would not suggest anything other than a taper crimp on a straight walled semi-auto case.
I shoot cases with a belt because I feel the other cartridges need to pull their trousers up.

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 05:56:09 AM »
Much appreciated. I had had him order the rcbs 3 die set.bullets and primers were out of stock so if there’s a better option, there’s still time to switch. Seemed odd that a 50 cal 325 bullet would be sold out but what do I know. The crimp is my biggest concern really. I was going to have him single fire and leave one in the clip to measure.

zonie

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2020, 10:25:14 AM »
I haven't re-load for one, but there are certain things to remember and it's not always set in stone.   
 Straight wall  rimless cartridges used in Auto's in general are taper crimped and head space on the cartridge case.  Bottle neck cartridges in a handgun are a separate issue as are   Rimmed cartridges are another issue as are semi-rimmed cartridges, and there are autos that chamber these types of  cartridges.   Heavy handgun revolver or single shot guns with rimmed cartridges are of course head spaced on the rim and re roll crimped.  Really heavy bullets used in revolvers will sometimes have 2 crimp groves on the bullet to match the cylinder length of the revolver or chamber on a single shot.  Here's a question if you were to roll crimp a straight wall  rimless or rebated rim  cartridge and use it in an Automatic pistol where's the head space and will the firing pin drive the shortened roll crimped case farther in the guns chamber before the primer goes off or gives a low power hammer strike, or shooting down hill and the cartridge slides forward in the chamber ? 
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 07:01:03 PM by zonie »

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2020, 11:49:38 AM »
I never had a 50 ae but had and reloaded for a 44mag desert eagle. You have to use a taper crimp a roll crimp wont work properly.
Good Hunting And Shooting To all
Derrill

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2020, 09:17:09 PM »
Thanks for the replies. If memory serves me, the directions for taper crimp comes with the rcbs dies? It’s been about 20 years but I used to load for 3 or 4 caliber revolvers and it seems like I had to use a crimp for those as well. Seems like it was like you kept lowering the seating die slightly till the crimp looked good and then left one in the cylinder and measured for change after 4-5 rounds. Dang it’s been too long lol

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2020, 12:25:41 AM »
Nealm66

I have data in the Lyman Pistol and Revolver Handbook, the Lyman manual and also some from Mr Taffin's book, Big Bore Handguns. I was surprised to see that Mr Taffin's accuracy was extremely impressive all the way out to 50 yards.

PM me an email address, or even better, if you have What's App a mobile number, and I'll give you some of the info from those sources.

An interesting comment was that they Desert Eagle is designed to work with standard weight bullets and loads, i.e. 158gr 357 Mag, 210gr 41, 240gr 44 etc. for proper function. Also only jacketed bullets were recommended in the comments.
I shoot cases with a belt because I feel the other cartridges need to pull their trousers up.

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2020, 06:29:27 AM »
I’ve shot one before in 50ae. It was scoped and the recoil really wasn’t bad at all. Pretty accurate too. Only problem I had is the grip is big for my hands. Probably not a carry gun lol.I don’t have what’s app but my email is trdoldtreecutter@gmail.com and really appreciate the help on this. Thank you

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2020, 08:38:41 AM »
Email sent.

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2020, 01:04:24 PM »
Thank you, I’ll check it out after work