Spike Camp

Still Hunting

Re: Still Hunting
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2020, 04:27:02 AM »
In most cases I was able to close the distance to with in shooting distance even with A bow. <a href="https://www.vscr888group.com/">vscr888group</a>
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 04:28:59 AM by bayernonline »

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2020, 04:49:13 AM »
What are you trying to say Bayern ?
Mark

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2020, 06:28:39 AM »
What are you trying to say Bayern ?
+1 Your link has nothing to do with hunting Bayern? Is this spam?
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2020, 07:58:46 AM »
Grouchy I grew up hunting really thick coastal brush a lot like that but locally it has been overrun by the "Orange Army". Bow hunting got immensely popular here. Public land is pretty well a crap shoot but the place I found is typically unmolested and the rifle draw tag is early season mid September. Without any people pressure the animals don't seem to seek dense cover as much but you also wont catch a trophy strutting through a meadow like that during season. That said they will stage a graze the hell out of the treeline around it early and late in the day.
a 1/2" group is good enough for the girls I go with!

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2020, 08:19:46 AM »
Unfortunately I do not have that type of land/environment where I live.  However, I've jumped deer while sneaking into my stand.  In GA you can't carry a loaded firearm while walking to your stand. So, no still hunting for me. :(
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2020, 08:35:53 AM »
Para, I know what you mean. When I was in the service I was stationed at Knox in KY. I bumped a ton of nice animals while stand hunting. That's where I leaned some of my still hunting techniques. I grew up beating the brush doing drives, hunting clearcuts. Out East it was all stand hunting. So when I moved back I tried to adapt the stand mentality for Western use and it has been productive along with not having competition because not many other hunters do it out west.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2020, 06:13:33 PM »
I've hunted the Buttes in Winer South Dakota, and love walking and glassing for bedded mule deer.  Love hunting those big open places, and you have to look everywhere, because those Mullies love to hide.  I hope to get lucky this year and draw a tag for South Dakota.  If not, I'll continue to hunt the White Tails from my stand here in the GA   ;D
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2020, 06:17:39 PM »
I've hunted the Buttes in Winer South Dakota, and love walking and glassing for bedded mule deer.  Love hunting those big open places, and you have to look everywhere, because those Mullies love to hide.  I hope to get lucky this year and draw a tag for South Dakota.  If not, I'll continue to hunt the White Tails from my stand here in the GA   ;D

The Rosebud Reservation is not far from Winner SD Oscar, that's where I was supposed to go prairie dog hunting with Terminator this June!
Doug

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2020, 07:24:22 PM »
I live and hunt in MI. But even when I hunted WY. In 2014. I found A natural blind of rock and hunted from it. I was able to see for miles in 3 directions. And aid I had to I'm sure I would have got up and made an attempt at A stalk. But I took A small mule deer buck from this stand at 300 yards. We had desided to take any legal buck  because in 2 days of scouting we had not seen anything better than fork horns. It was definitely A pronghorn area. But it was A Great change of pace for 3 flat Lander hunters from MI.

Mark

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2020, 09:26:45 PM »

The Rosebud Reservation is not far from Winner SD Oscar, that's where I was supposed to go prairie dog hunting with Terminator this June!

Sure wish I could have shown you guys some great Mule deer country. I was worried my knee surgery would have messed up our plans. They got messed up anyway and no word on my surgery because of Covid.
I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2020, 09:42:29 PM »
BMR I agree 2020 sure stinks, its also got to be tough on all the resorts in Canada with no one able to cross the border to go fishing. Hope you get the knee taken care of before winter, take care.
Doug

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2020, 11:34:15 PM »
Wyoming is a dream spot and stalk hunt. Its awesome you used a natural rock blind. I usually use a downed log or at the very least a lot of shadows from timber. Its crazy how intimate you can get with game playing the wind. I usually camo down for close ranges also.

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2020, 05:16:46 AM »
Is there somebody in the picture? ;)
I shoot cases with a belt because I feel the other cartridges need to pull their trousers up.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2020, 09:41:49 AM »

BB3, I've driven through there.  There are a lot of places around where we are that have PD towns.  Getting permission to hunt them is a different story.   BTW, I did not get a tag, but I hear that there will be a second draw so I'll reapply. fingers crossed. :)

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2020, 10:43:42 AM »
I've still hunted some of the leases I've been on, but in So. Tx. with the thick brush and cactus (that you can only see over from an elevated blind) makes it hard to know what you might be getting into. From an elevated blind you'd swear you can see everything, but you'd be surprised how deer use the brush cover and color to hide their movement right in front of you. Still hunting I've done has been in the hill country and have had some success culling does and hogs, but not any bucks. It's fun because even though you're moving slow (using whatever cover is available) the idea that your walking in their living space so to speak keeps it interesting cause you never know what could happen.
DosEquisShooter