Spike Camp

Anyone sent an older wby back to wby to swap barrels?

txaggie

• If it bleeds we can kill it
    • View Profile
Anyone sent an older wby back to wby to swap barrels?
« on: July 02, 2020, 06:48:50 AM »
I picked up a fixer upper 240 in LH version barrel is pretty ruff would like to put another on it and re-blue everything put it back into action? Or just order the barrel and have a local guy do it? Thoughts suggestions? Oh it's not a caliber debate it will remain 240 - Appreciate your advise/help

• View Profile
Re: Anyone sent an older wby back to wby to swap barrels?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 07:29:19 AM »
My first choice would be Weatherby. Give them a call and talk it over with them.
It will be a Weatherby with and new Weatherby barrel done by Weatherby
What's not too like
Of coarse this is just my thinking
Mike

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 08:40:23 AM »
My first choice would be Weatherby. Give them a call and talk it over with them.
It will be a Weatherby with and new Weatherby barrel done by Weatherby
What's not too like
Of coarse this is just my thinking

+1  if I lived in the States, and didn't have all the bullsh*t of trying to get a rifle back to Weatherby, that would be my first choice also. You could send it in, and have the custom shop do what ever you want.  8)

Rob

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 08:51:45 AM »
With the new business and all be prepared for a looooooooong wait.

I know what I know if you know what I mean

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2020, 09:07:25 AM »
I sent a MKV .257 Deluxe in for a re-barrel and it did take a little bit, but nothing out of the realm of acceptability. When I got it back it was awesome work, couldn’t be happier. If I remember correctly, whole thing cost about 4-500 bucks.

Rifle is a Japanese made Deluxe that my dad uses. It originally had 24” barrel and they went back with a 26”er with some of the deepest blueing I’ve ever seen. Just really really happy with the overall experience.
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2020, 09:19:36 AM »
Send it to Weatherby. Their work will be guaranteed and you will have the full quality of the work we all want.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

Grouchy

• Life is too important to take serious" Groucho
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2020, 11:01:04 AM »
I'd go with Weatherby as well. I'd certainly ask what time frame would be involved as well as price.  :)

txaggie

• If it bleeds we can kill it
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2020, 02:42:39 PM »
that's what I figured, thanks guys for the quick replies I will be checking with them Monday after the holidays.

Happy 4th boys;

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2020, 07:25:22 PM »
It would be interesting to see what Bartlein had to say about a gain twist for that

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2020, 08:12:06 AM »
Probably depends on all those factors mentioned.  How fast do you want it back?  How much are you willing to spend?  How good are your local gunsmiths?  What kind of finished results are you expecting?

Replacing a barrel isn't especially difficult except for matching the existing bluing or completely re-bluing the entire barreled action.  Are you finicky about the caliber marking on the barrel?

I've had a lot of rifles re-barreled and all of those factors come into play.  The famous triple constraint comes into play - time, cost, and quality...you get any 2 out of 3.  If you want good quality and you want it fast, it won't be cheap. 
JK

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2020, 01:44:00 PM »
I remember reading somewhere that weatherby put a slight funneling in the chambering for the 6.5-300. Maybe they do that in all the chambers, I don’t know but it might be something special that might warrant having them do it. Be curious to know if they would install a bartein or similar type custom barrel. Yikes, wouldn’t that open up a can of worms and an empty wallet