Spike Camp

Seven Score And Seventeen Years Ago

musicman

• View Profile
Seven Score And Seventeen Years Ago
« on: July 04, 2020, 01:41:13 PM »
Yesterday, July 3, 1863, one hundred and fifty-seven years ago, the three day Battle Of Gettysburg ended.    When the smoke cleared, slightly over 51,000 soldiers had been killed, wounded, or MIA.    Unbelievable carnage.      Except perhaps for some of the officers for The South, just about none of these men ever owned a slave.     I have been to the battlefield at Gettysburg.   There is a "presence" that I felt there.     I have felt this at The Alamo in San Antonio.   I have been told, that one can also feel it at the battle site of The Little Big Horn, and the beaches of Normandy.      MM     

Grouchy

• Let those without sin cast the first stone
    • View Profile
Re: Seven Score And Seventeen Years Ago
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2020, 02:10:06 PM »
Yesterday, July 3, 1863, one hundred and fifty-seven years ago, the three day Battle Of Gettysburg ended.    When the smoke cleared, slightly over 51,000 soldiers had been killed, wounded, or MIA.    Unbelievable carnage.      Except perhaps for some of the officers for The South, just about none of these men ever owned a slave.     I have been to the battlefield at Gettysburg.   There is a "presence" that I felt there.     I have felt this at The Alamo in San Antonio.   I have been told, that one can also feel it at the battle site of The Little Big Horn, and the beaches of Normandy.      MM   

Been to Gettysburg and Antitum a dozen times or more. Been to the courthouse at Appomatics, Mt.Vernon and Monticello! Every monument in D C, including walking up and down the Washington Monument! Yeah, the connection to history is incredible

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 02:21:57 PM »
Gettysburg and Vicksburg hold special places for me. Iíve toured both places, more at Vicksburg than Gettysburg, and the achievements of the forces in both places are extraordinary.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2020, 06:36:00 AM »
I've felt that presence at every battlefield I've visited too. The scene from the movie "Patton" at the ruins of carthage is spot on. GJ