Spike Camp

Politics continues to infiltrate the Sports World

danno50

• View Profile
Politics continues to infiltrate the Sports World
« on: July 05, 2020, 11:32:08 AM »
Use to be that going to live sporting events or even watching them on television was a good way to kind of forget about what was going on in the outside world. Sundays especially, as sporting events were covered all over the world and you could take your pick as to what you wanted to watch without being bothered. The only things that mattered were the Tee Box, Home Plate, the Goalies net, the KO, the Ace, the horse race or Nascar finish line, the goal posts, or the swoosh through the net and the release of unfettered emotions as you watched. Well, we know that much of that is changed (forever) and the latest target is the NBA. Right now the problem is that we can't get both sides to come together and make the meaningful changes necessary to please both sides. (but then, how often does that happen) First the NLF and now the NBA, (in my opinion) will do nothing more than fan the fire, as we don't have an equitable solution for all, and the protesting rioters will be emboldened. The latest on the NBA's involvement in social justice politics.

https://www.breitbart.com/sports/2020/07/04/report-nba-approves-list-of-social-justice-messages-for-jerseys/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=todays_hottest_stories&utm_campaign=20200704
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 11:34:13 AM by danno50 »
DosEquisShooter

Grouchy

• Life is too important to take serious" Groucho
    • View Profile
Re: Politics continues to infiltrate the Sports World
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 12:02:59 PM »
Not only will I not watch the NFL or the NBA, I will not buy anything advertised there. We can hit them right in wallet! 

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 05:08:15 PM »
Not only will I not watch the NFL or the NBA, I will not buy anything advertised there. We can hit them right in wallet!

+1, I'm done with both of them!!
Doug

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2020, 05:14:57 PM »
I stopped watching awhile ago. Basketball was my favorite sport.

Pink slip and point them to the employment line!
Mike

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2020, 04:00:02 PM »
I've never been into Basketball, so I can live without it and the NFL & NBA can all kiss my a$$.  I'll never watch another game ever. 
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2020, 04:18:49 PM »
AS a die hard Red Wing fan I hope the NHL will steer clear of politics.  I'd hate to see Pro Hockey go the way of other major sports.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2020, 05:29:48 PM »
I read this on another forum.  This is very true.

This is an e-mail sent to Clarence Page of the Chicago Tribune after an article he published concerning a name change for the Washington Redskins.

Dear Mr. Page: I agree with our Native American population. I am highly triggered by the racially charged name of the Washington Redskins. One might argue that to name a professional football team after Native Americans would exalt them as fine warriors, but nay, nay. We must be careful not to offend, and in the spirit of political correctness and courtesy, we must move forward. Let's ditch the Kansas City Chiefs, the Atlanta Braves and the Cleveland Indians. If your shorts are in a wad because of the reference the name Redskins makes to skin color, then we need to get rid of the Cleveland Browns.

The Carolina Panthers obviously were named to keep the memory of militant Blacks from the 60's alive. Gone. It's offensive to us white folk. The New York Yankees offend the Southern population. Do you see a team named for the Confederacy? No! There is no room for any reference to that tragic war that cost this country so many young men's lives. I am also offended by the blatant references to the Catholic religion among our sports team names. Totally inappropriate to have the New Orleans Saints, the Los Angeles Angels or the San Diego Padres.

Then there are the team names that glorify criminals who raped and pillaged. We are talking about the horrible Oakland Raiders, the Minnesota Vikings, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Pittsburgh Pirates! Now, let us address those teams that clearly send the wrong message to our children. The San Diego Chargers promote irresponsible fighting or even spending habits. Wrong message to our children. The New York Giants and the San Francisco Giants promote obesity, a growing childhood epidemic. Wrong message to our children. The Cincinnati Reds promote downers/barbiturates. Wrong message to our children.

The Milwaukee Brewers. Well that goes without saying. Wrong message to our children. So, there you go. We need to support any legislation that comes out to rectify this travesty, because the government will likely become involved with this issue, as they should. Just the kind of thing the do-nothing Congress loves.

As a die-hard Oregon State fan, my wife and I, with all of this in mind, suggest it might also make some sense to change the name of the Oregon State women's athletic teams to something other than "the Beavers (especially when they play Southern California. Do we really want the Trojans sticking it to the Beavers???

I always love your articles and I generally agree with them. As for the Redskins name I would suggest they change the name to the "Foreskins" to better represent their community, paying tribute to the dick heads in Washington DC.
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2020, 05:35:17 PM »
I can do without but they better keep their damn hands off college football
a 1/2" group is good enough for the girls I go with!

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2020, 06:28:13 PM »
AS a die hard Red Wing fan I hope the NHL will steer clear of politics.  I'd hate to see Pro Hockey go the way of other major sports.

66 year Red Wing fan myself. From the days of Able, Linsey, and Howe. Hope the NHL keeps politics out of it also. Hope the Wings get back to greatness real soon.
Any man who would compromise his freedom in pursuit of safety deserves neither freedom or safety...BF

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2020, 06:54:09 PM »

66 year Red Wing fan myself. From the days of Able, Linsey, and Howe. Hope the NHL keeps politics out of it also. Hope the Wings get back to greatness real soon.

My dad took me to my first Red Wing game in 1950, at the ripe old age of 7 and I've been a die hard fan since.  To add to that trio you might remember Alex Delvecchio, Marty Pavelich, Norm Ullman, Red Kelly, Marcel Pronovost, Glenn Hull and Terry Sawchuck.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2020, 08:18:13 PM »
Tonight, Fox New's Tucker Carlson had a sports segment with NFL ex Marcellus Wiley who explained who BLM really is and Sports commentator Jason Whitlock who gave an excellent view, JMO, of what the NFL has allowed themselves to become because of the all mighty bottom line. I found tonight's segment on youtube. The whole segment is only about 6 or 7 minutes long and I thought it worthy of your time.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjG-8zixLvqAhXmmq0KHWQeAXwQFjAAegQIAhAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Foutkick.com%2Fjason-whitlock-tucker-carlson-tonight%2F&usg=AOvVaw2ymSQ6awk4CmcZvuBkgYzn

« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 10:18:45 AM by danno50 »
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2020, 08:36:33 PM »
I love that PARA45, so "with the times". If I were Dan Snyder (Redskin owner) I wouldn't change the name at all, I'd just change the logo to a red skin potato and keep the Redskin name. They could have a redskined Mr. Potatohead on their helmets. Let's see how the spineless, yellow stripe down their backs, coward leftist cry babies deal with that.
I love the smell of deer guts in the morning, it smells like...VICTORY!

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2020, 04:47:49 AM »
Last night and this morning I heard two ESPN sportscasters complaining about what President Trump put out on his Twitter account. What happened to freedom of speech? Apparently, for some people at ESPN it means freedom of expression as long as you agree with my views and desires.
I see sports as competitive events based on the talent and strategy of the players. It is entertainment and that is it. It’s not much different than being a movie star: entertain me, and keep your political expertise to yourself because it is for attention and money and NOT from your vast experience and training in international relations, environmental studies or medicine.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2020, 06:40:33 AM »
Last night and this morning I heard two ESPN sportscasters complaining about what President Trump put out on his Twitter account. What happened to freedom of speech? Apparently, for some people at ESPN it means freedom of expression as long as you agree with my views and desires.
I see sports as competitive events based on the talent and strategy of the players. It is entertainment and that is it. It’s not much different than being a movie star: entertain me, and keep your political expertise to yourself because it is for attention and money and NOT from your vast experience and training in international relations, environmental studies or medicine.
   +1 You're 100% right eford. When these sports figures and entertainers start infusing their political views, they're pandering to a larger audience to bring more attention to themselves. ESPN is probably run by Liberal money.
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2020, 07:40:52 AM »
+2
a 1/2" group is good enough for the girls I go with!