Spike Camp

Vanguard first lite 6.5-300 wby not holding a group

Vanguard first lite 6.5-300 wby not holding a group
« on: July 11, 2020, 05:24:42 PM »
Good evening, new to the thread here and having a conundrum. I bought a vanguard first lite in 6.5-300 wby mag back in March. I went through the break in process and thought all was well(consist 1 inch groups @ 200 yards and just under 3 inch groups at 550 yards) I have put about 80 rounds through the gun and my best grouping was with the 140 grain factory swift A-frames followed by the berger 140 factory vlds. Now, after I clean the gun the first 2 shots are off, then it will come back in to about 2 inch 3 shot groups for about 6 shots, then it turns into a shotgun pattern. I found one tigger assembly screw that had come loose, so I tightened that up, but it didn't make any difference. I also just shot some 127 lrx's out of it and they seem hard to extract after being shot. I'm curious if anyone else has had this issue and if so, what was the remedy? I'm hoping I haven't already shot the barrel out of it, bit I find that hard to believe as I have never shot more than 3 shots before letting it cool 15-20 minutes. At this point I'm so frustrated I fell like trading it in on something else! Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Vanguard first lite 6.5-300 wby not holding a group
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2020, 05:30:47 PM »
Could be how it’s resting during the shot. Might check all the screws too. Does it have the muzzle brake on or off? Might try it on and off. Or contact Weatherby, they are very good about helping customers. Just go through their channels of communication. Hope things work out for you. They should.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2020, 06:24:49 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I have checked the screws and they are all tight. I have tried it with the break on and off to no avail. I was wondering if it was copper fouled, but after I ran some pro-shot bore cleaner through it, I will get an ok group for about 6 shots and back it goes to spitting bullets. Guess I will have to get ahold of weatherby to get it figured out! Thanks for the advice!

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2020, 06:49:19 PM »
One thing l see is shooting Swift A-Frame bullets, and Berger bullets.
Two different jacket types and sometimes that doesn't mix well. Also very hard to get the barrel truly clean, which would explain a few good rounds than bad again
Throughly clean the barrel and than clean it some more to get it clean!
Than pick one bullet or the other
Mike

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2020, 08:16:42 PM »
One thing l see is shooting Swift A-Frame bullets, and Berger bullets.
Two different jacket types and sometimes that doesn't mix well. Also very hard to get the barrel truly clean, which would explain a few good rounds than bad again
Throughly clean the barrel and than clean it some more to get it clean!
Than pick one bullet or the other

I just soaked the barrel with the pro-shot again, scrubbed with a bore brush and repeated. Shot it again tonight and it's hold about 1.5" 3 shot group at 200. Will try it out tomorrow to see if it will consistently hold that pattern. Thanks for the tip!

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 08:58:02 PM »
Your bore cleaning seems to have solved much of the accuracy issue. I think it is worth going longer between shots, like five to seven minutes, to closer replicate cold barrel accuracy. I have chased 3-shot group accuracy but realized the first shot on a big animal can be all that’s needed, so make it spot on. The small group will show three separate things: good shooting mechanics, a sound receiver-barrel-stock alignment, and consistent ammunition loads.
Please keep us posted.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2020, 07:23:58 AM »
A lot of us here use Boretech Eliminator to clean our Weatherby rifles.  I would suggest cleaning your barrel with Boretech, and go from there.  I believe your barrel is dirty, and you have not been able to completed removed all the copper.  Boretech will do that for you.  Also, make sure you are using jags jags that will not give you a false positive reading. 

Here is their website:  https://www.boretech.com/
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2020, 11:14:07 AM »
I'm of the opinion that quite a few people buy a new Weatherby and shoot 3 or 4 boxes of ammo through it and never break it in properly and never properly clean it.  It then ends up on a used rifle shelf in the local gun shop and the buyer doesn't have a clue why it imitates an Orion shotgun with 00 buck.

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2020, 06:26:56 PM »
A lot of us here use Boretech Eliminator to clean our Weatherby rifles.  I would suggest cleaning your barrel with Boretech, and go from there.  I believe your barrel is dirty, and you have not been able to completed removed all the copper.  Boretech will do that for you.  Also, make sure you are using jags jags that will not give you a false positive reading. 

Thank you very much for the info! I was leaning towards a copper fouling issue and it did improve when I cleaned it with the pro-shot, bit I will give the boretech a try! Thanks again!

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2020, 12:02:36 PM »

Thank you very much for the info! I was leaning towards a copper fouling issue and it did improve when I cleaned it with the pro-shot, bit I will give the boretech a try! Thanks again!

Make sure you are using jags that will not give you false positives.  Clean it real good, and let us know if accuracy improves.  Good luck.
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2020, 10:00:21 AM »

Thank you very much for the info! I just got done cleaning it and the first 3 shots were a bit open( 3 inches @ 200yards) the last 3 we're almost 3/4” @ 200 yards. Thanks again for the tips fellas!

txaggie

• If it bleeds we can kill it
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2020, 03:37:33 PM »
I realize I should knock on wood when I make this statement, I use m-pro7 and haven't had the issue with proven reliably accurate ammo in any of my guns. I probably don't put 10 rounds down the pipe a year before a good cleaning either so i'm not sure how much buildup people really experience.

Anyway another option of cleaning product - but now that I've said it everything will be off! ;)

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2020, 10:52:11 PM »
Good evening, new to the thread here and having a conundrum. I bought a vanguard first lite in 6.5-300 wby mag back in March. I went through the break in process and thought all was well(consist 1 inch groups @ 200 yards and just under 3 inch groups at 550 yards) I have put about 80 rounds through the gun and my best grouping was with the 140 grain factory swift A-frames followed by the berger 140 factory vlds. Now, after I clean the gun the first 2 shots are off, then it will come back in to about 2 inch 3 shot groups for about 6 shots, then it turns into a shotgun pattern. I found one tigger assembly screw that had come loose, so I tightened that up, but it didn't make any difference. I also just shot some 127 lrx's out of it and they seem hard to extract after being shot. I'm curious if anyone else has had this issue and if so, what was the remedy? I'm hoping I haven't already shot the barrel out of it, bit I find that hard to believe as I have never shot more than 3 shots before letting it cool 15-20 minutes. At this point I'm so frustrated I fell like trading it in on something else! Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

I feel your pain. I’m in same boat with my creedmoor. I had high hopes for it and now here as season started my hunting is shot. 90 days for weatherby to look at it.

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2020, 05:44:14 PM »
I ordered the bore tech cleaner ,not because of any accuracy problems , just looking for something better then i was using. That stuff is amazing , i ordered their jags and nylon brushes.