Spike Camp

New sambar rifle. Mark V in 300 weatherby

New sambar rifle. Mark V in 300 weatherby
« on: July 12, 2020, 12:50:37 AM »
Hi guys im new to the forum. I have just purchased my first weatherby rife in 300 weatherby mag its an old japanese mark V. It will be mainly a dedicated sambar rifle, it will also see some use on pigs and scrub bulls im looking at loading up some 180gn Woodleigh pp projectiles with either Ar2213sc or Ar2217 in the next couple of weeks. Im really looking forward to getting the old rifle out in the bush and hunting! Have any of you guys had good results with this combination? Will be sure to post results once load development is done and have tested it on game. Cheers lads!

Grouchy

• Life is too important to take serious" Groucho
    • View Profile
Re: New sambar rifle. Mark V in 300 weatherby
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 03:44:52 AM »
Welcome to the nation!  180gr bullets seem to work the best in the 300 WBY. The powders you mention are not familiar to me. Australia?  :D

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 04:33:49 AM »
Thanks looks like plenty of knowledge here looking forward to learning about wheatherby rifles and cartridges. Yes australian adi powders ar2213sc is marketed as h4831 in the states and ar2217 is sold as h1000. Adi make powders for Hodgdon from my knowledge

Grouchy

• Life is too important to take serious" Groucho
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2020, 05:07:35 AM »
My 300WBY shoots well with the H1000 and 180gr. bullets and it is a Japan made. Haven't tried the Woodleighs in it. I do use them in my 325 WSM with good results on hogs here in south Florida.  :)

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2020, 07:29:01 AM »
Welcome to the Nation!! It would be guess on my part to consider the Adi powder the same as the American counterpart, but the 180 gr bullets and H1000 work great in most 300 Weatherby's.  If your rifle likes the Woodleighs you will be set for anything, so hopefully Brett will see this post and has used that combination. Several regular contributors from Australia.
Doug

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2020, 02:54:55 PM »
Thanks sounds like ar2217 or H1000 will be a good powder to start with😁

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2020, 03:08:29 PM »
Welcome aboard. The 180 grain bullets are probably the best weight for a 300 Wby. The powders you mentioned ought to be fine. Don’t be surprised when a max or near max load is very accurate, and deadly of course.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2020, 09:33:59 PM »
Hey Mattm85, how did you go getting your new sambar rifle loads to shoot? I too am an Aussie on here. I would of replied to you thread sooner but I've been stuck in hospital with no access to this forum (it wouldn't let me access from my mobile).
Anyway I haven't done a lot of work with 180 grain Woodleigh my .300 Wby's but 2213sc and 2217 will be the best two powders to use in it.
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2020, 09:46:13 PM »
Hey Mattm85, how did you go getting your new sambar rifle loads to shoot? I too am an Aussie on here. I would of replied to you thread sooner but I've been stuck in hospital with no access to this forum (it wouldn't let me access from my mobile).
Anyway I haven't done a lot of work with 180 grain Woodleigh my .300 Wby's but 2213sc and 2217 will be the best two powders to use in it.
1 Hope all is well with you Bret.I just spent 10 days in the hospital.
Good Hunting And Shooting To all
Derrill

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2020, 04:04:24 AM »

Hi BB340 i still havnt managed to get any rounds loaded up and hit the range yet,im hoping next week I havnt been able to get away from work unfortunately! Ive got a sambar hunt lined up at the end of the month so really need to get some load development done. My local gun shop didn’t have the Woodleighs at the moment unfortunately! They were low on a lot of stock due to the Covid-19 apparently. I managed to get some ar2213sc and some 180gr speer hcsp projectiles so ill knock some rounds up for my trip in the hills after some deer and hopefully test them on a couple of pigs on my local block next weekend before I head away. Have some Woodleighs on order😀

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2020, 09:23:10 AM »
BB & Derrick, hope you guys are in good health, sorry to hear you guys were in the hospital.

Didn’t mean to derail this post.
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2020, 10:30:15 AM »
Welcome Mattm85
And thanks for the powder lesson. I would not have know what they were. But it's enough to make me want to try h1000 myself. That is when I can find it. I have been looking sense early this year. No luck yet.
Glad to have you aboard.
Mark

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2020, 03:59:47 PM »
Matt I don't see why those Speer HCSP's wont work on a big sambar stag. I have only been on one sambar hunt and shot a hind. I'm from NSW and there ain't many sambar running around in my hills lol.
By the way welcome to the Nation. Great bunch of guys on here with a wealth of knowledge and experience.

So as not to hijack Matt's thread I will write a quick reply to those wondering about my hospital stay. All is good, I just burnt my back with a hot water bottle and due to my spinal injury I can not feel the burn so it would not heal. Plus it was a deep burn and needed a skin graft. But its well and truly on the mend. Thanks to all that were concerned.
Cheers,
Brett
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2020, 05:40:18 PM »
BB & Derrick, hope you guys are in good health, sorry to hear you guys were in the hospital.

Didn’t mean to derail this post.
thanks Oscar
Good Hunting And Shooting To all
Derrill

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2020, 04:33:15 AM »
Matt I don't see why those Speer HCSP's wont work on a big sambar stag. I have only been on one sambar hunt and shot a hind. I'm from NSW and there ain't many sambar running around in my hills lol.
By the way welcome to the Nation. Great bunch of guys on here with a wealth of knowledge and experience.

So as not to hijack Matt's thread I will write a quick reply to those wondering about my hospital stay. All is good, I just burnt my back with a hot water bottle and due to my spinal injury I can not feel the burn so it would not heal. Plus it was a deep burn and needed a skin graft. But its well and truly on the mend. Thanks to all that were concerned.
Cheers,
Brett

Hi brett thanks for the reply yeah I recon they should do the job. Ive got some access to private property down towards the border the other side of tumbarrumba that holds plenty of deer, so im very keen to get back down there its a bit of a trip for me as im from cobar and mainly hunt pigs and the odd chital and scrub bull. Ive used the speer hcsp in 308win before and they worked well so i think they will be ok for now. Hope your healing well. Thanks again