Spike Camp

Going back to Africa in 2022. :)

PARA45

• View Profile
Going back to Africa in 2022. :)
« on: July 25, 2020, 01:16:55 PM »
Going back to Africa in 2022! Wife & I made our decision a couple of nights ago, and this morning I passed the information to Wik at Game 4 Africa Safaris. We are supper excited. We decided to do his advertised Spiral Horn package, and probably take a few more animals (Black Wildebeest & a Hartebeest). Hopefully the finances are good, and I can take a few more. :) We decided to add two additional days to this package, just in case we need more time to hunt or if we want to do some sight seeing.

For my 50th b-day my wife and I hunted the Limpopo area, and that was our first time in South Africa. This time we will be heading back for my 60th b-day, and hunt the East Cape. :) I hope the next trips are not this far apart, I may run out of birthdays. :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Wife is already pointing out where I have too much empty wall space, and where I should hang more mounts. :) Man I'm so lucky! LOL.

I'm not going to take a rifle this time, part of the special is to use their rifles for free, with a small fee $3.00 per rounds fired.  So, I'm going to go through the hassle of taking my rifle, that however may change :)

Grouchy

• Let those without sin cast the first stone
    • View Profile
Re: Going back to Africa in 2022. :)
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 01:57:43 PM »
You do know the 2 words I want to post purely out of jealousy?  Hope it works out and use a different trophy mounter this time! LOL!

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 02:00:59 PM »
You do know the 2 words I want to post purely out of jealousy?  Hope it works out and use a different trophy mounter this time! LOL!

Oh I can only imagine.   ;D ;D  You better believe it, plus I'm going to a different part of SA.  Those mounts will be done in the US.   ;D ;

Grouchy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 02:08:20 PM »
President Biden will stop you from importing any trophies from anywhere! LOL!

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 03:16:49 PM »
Congrats Para45
Very Happy for you. And jealous.  Now you get to do the fun part buying all the new trinkets you absolutely have to have for the trip.
Mark

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 07:42:54 PM »
Sounds like a fun trip and a great 60th Bday present, hopefully you have a bunch of pictures to share.
Doug

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2020, 06:43:15 AM »
Congrats Para45
Very Happy for you. And jealous.  Now you get to do the fun part buying all the new trinkets you absolutely have to have for the trip.

Unfortunately since I already gone once, I believe I have what I need.  But who knows.  LOL.

BB3, you bet, that is one thing we did the first time and took over 1500 pictures. LOL. 

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2020, 10:55:46 AM »
Hope you have a lot of fun and get lots of pictures.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

Grouchy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2020, 01:48:57 PM »
Any of the big 5 on the menu? I would take the 375 H&H in any case! You can pay somebody to carry that 12 lb. rifle till the poop hits the fan.   ;D

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2020, 05:46:29 AM »
Not this time around.  I will for sure go after buffalo, hippo & crock, they are on the list, but I have to wait until I start getting my military retirement check which will be when I turn 60. :)  So, maybe when I'm 62 I'll head back.  ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2020, 05:49:24 AM »
wow PARA45 - great news. The Eastern Cape has a great deal of variety of plains game so you can get a lot of hunting done in a short time and the conditions can be quite varied, from open grasslands to thick bush and mountains. You can even hunt a variety of "introduced" species that may not be naturally occurring there but which are free ranging on the large game ranches. I'm sure you will have a great hunt.

I will say that the pleasure and confidence of using your own rifle is worth a great deal, but you may change your mind later on. Let us know what you are planning on hunting.
I shoot cases with a belt because I feel the other cartridges need to pull their trousers up.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2020, 06:13:39 AM »
Thanks African Leadwood.  We've been to the Limpopo area, and had a blast during our two weeks safari.  My wife love seeing the animals in their natural habitat.  This time I wanted a change of scenery and I've heard some wonderful things about the Eastern Cape, and that is why we chose to go there.  On the spiral package, I'm planning on taking Lesser Kudu, Nyala, Bushbuck and Cape Eland.  If I have any $$$ left I'd like to take a Black Wildebeest & Hartebeest, and maybe a springbuck  ;D ;D ;D

I took my own rifle the first time I went, but having to transfer in Jburg, I've heard it could be quite complicated.  Also, Atlanta is 2 hrs away, and I would have to go to Customs to register my rifle, and going to Atlanta is a real PIA.  LOL.  We'll see, I still have plenty of time left to decide.   ;D

dixie1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2020, 01:52:09 PM »
Hopefully delta does not throw your case off the plane. Yes they paid for damages, but still ruined a new SKB case Zeiss scope. Had to have Ken at Magnaport recrown a rifle they damaged. Trip back was not a fun time for me.
 Your trip sounds like it will be a great time!

Grouchy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2020, 02:03:09 PM »
Just so the trophies make it back with no issues this time. The gun, scope and ammo problems are minor considering the cost of such a "safari" Air fare alone add  a ton to such a trip! Priced it out in my dreams a ton of times!

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2020, 02:46:25 PM »
I took two rifles the first time around, and used a Pelican case and my rifles had no issues.  I can't say the same about my trophies.  But, I learned my lessons and they will be done here in the US.  ;D