Spike Camp

Isaias

Grouchy

• Let those without sin cast the first stone
    • View Profile
Isaias
« on: July 30, 2020, 02:20:41 AM »
I'm square in the middle of the 3 day cone for this tropical storm. It will be a break in my usual boring routine and a test for Andi. My weather appears to be going downhill starting Friday night.  :)

Re: Isaias
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 03:37:19 AM »
They seem to be running thru the alphabet faster then usual!!
Doug

Grouchy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 03:58:35 AM »
They seem to be running thru the alphabet faster then usual!!
Yes, the news here says we are way ahead of named storms than ever before. I'm doing the way ahead of the crappy weather stuff now. I'd rather be ready and not need it......  Got the dog a 35lb bag of food.  I'll close up Rambo's old house as soon as the trash is picked up today. The containers need to be put away as they will float or fly away.  :)

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2020, 06:46:47 AM »
Good luck.
I love the smell of deer guts in the morning, it smells like...VICTORY!

Grouchy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2020, 07:04:24 AM »
Good luck.
Thanks!  I'm charging up all my toys and checking battery operated stuff. Doing the laundry and running the dishwasher will wait for a bit. I am anticipating looters and con men if it gets really nasty here.  :)  I can get Andi to bark on command if I imitate a cat hissing. The neighbor's cat is a favorite for her to chase. 

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2020, 07:35:08 AM »
Hopefully it goes in the opposite direction from you guys.  Good luck!

Grouchy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2020, 09:17:27 AM »
Hopefully it goes in the opposite direction from you guys.  Good luck!
Thanks!  The weather service says 60% chance of showers tomorrow night with tropical storm conditions Saturday. Closing up Rambo's old house is 10 minutes tops. They have the shutters that just slide closed. Mine are a PITA under nice conditions. If it's windy, they are a really tough. Just finished mowing the yard. It may be a few days till it will be dry enough to do that again. 5 day turn around on mowing with all the rain lately!  I'll get my shutters out in a bit. Hopefully, this is just a drill. I'm too old for this stuff!   :)

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2020, 10:38:49 AM »
When I lived in Homestead, I bit the bullet and replaced the regular windows with impact windows.  It was a huge incentive for when I sold the house. I still kept the old shutters to protect some of the big windows. The buyer was thrilled about the windows. :)

Grouchy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2020, 11:18:05 AM »
When I lived in Homestead, I bit the bullet and replaced the regular windows with impact windows.  It was a huge incentive for when I sold the house. I still kept the old shutters to protect some of the big windows. The buyer was thrilled about the windows. :)
$$$$ !     ;D

Grouchy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2020, 02:10:37 PM »
Now predicted to be a hurricane!  Of course, the difference is 1 mph in wind. it is so easy to be organized when it's just me and Andi! The very few living people here that don't have the China flu will most certainly catch it and die during our usual team work recovery from a hurricane, if you believe the panic driven press! LOL!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 02:22:36 PM by Grouchy »

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2020, 05:03:36 PM »
Kevin, what kind of shutters do you have? The 12" panels that fit in tracks?
Come and take it.

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2020, 01:41:01 AM »
We don't get this type of stuff here at all.

Good luck. Stay safe.
I shoot cases with a belt because I feel the other cartridges need to pull their trousers up.

Grouchy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2020, 01:42:21 AM »
Kevin, what kind of shutters do you have? The 12" panels that fit in tracks?
Yes, held in by drop in metal pins on most windows. There are 2 big drop downs on my Florida room that cover the long side and the rear windows. The toughest part is getting the shutters down from the overhead storage in my carport.  The shutters came with the house in 2002. The dog had me up at 03:00, jet to the john!  I am doing laundry now. In 2004, they shut down cell phones so not to interfere with 911 operations. Only calls to emergency services would go through.I tried and failed to get delivery food.  :)  The hurricane looks to remain just offshore now, but we are under tropical storm warning "till further notice".

Grouchy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2020, 01:43:10 AM »
We don't get this type of stuff here at all.

Good luck. Stay safe.

Thanks!  I do a lot of this prep work because I remember being without electricity for almost 2 weeks in 2004 in 90 degree+ heat. Most of the area was on "boil water" restrictions. My city water is from wells and most are from surface sources, so I'm good there.  I do a have natural gas water heater and stove, so they work regardless. I have plenty of charcoal, too. You can do frozen pizza on the grill!  ;D
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 02:02:41 AM by Grouchy »

Grouchy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2020, 06:05:35 AM »
Got both houses closed up!  Could be a cat 2 by the time it gets near us!  The picture is a old one from hurricane Jean. there no trees in my front yard and just a cactus and a juniper in the back and not near the house.