Spike Camp

1st trip to the Range for my new Bar.

1st trip to the Range for my new Bar.
« on: August 01, 2020, 09:49:18 AM »
I thought I would start out with what I hoped to end up with. And that was browning bxc 185 gr
30-06
As I have said on here many times. My browning mk1 bar is real particular and shoots browning factory ammo better than anything I have loaded in the past 30 years.  So today I started with the heavier 185 gr. And after dialing it in and letting it cool down I shot my 1st 3 shot group with it. And  was very pleased with the 1 1/2" group. That's all it needs to do. It's strictly A Michigan deer rifle.
And on another good note my old BAR didn't shoot them to Bad either. With A pair 1 5/8" groups.
I will shoot them again in the fall when the temps come down. But like what I seen today.
Hurts my pride some I can't beat there factory loads. But I can live with that.
Mark

Re: 1st trip to the Range for my new Bar.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 09:57:46 AM »
I thought I would start out with what I hoped to end up with. And that was browning bxc 185 gr
30-06
As I have said on here many times. My browning mk1 bar is real particular and shoots browning factory ammo better than anything I have loaded in the past 30 years.  So today I started with the heavier 185 gr. And after dialing it in and letting it cool down I shot my 1st 3 shot group with it. And  was very pleased with the 1 1/2" group. That's all it needs to do. It's strictly A Michigan deer rifle.
And on another good note my old BAR didn't shoot them to Bad either. With A pair 1 5/8" groups.
I will shoot them again in the fall when the temps come down. But like what I seen today.
Hurts my pride some I can't beat there factory loads. But I can live with that.

I was surprised with the accuracy I get from my BAR. I expected larger groups. The reduction in recoil is nice too. Mine being a .338 Win Mag is not a slouch when it comes to power. I can say it really reduced the felt recoil. I got lucky and found Hornady 225 grain SST Superformance ammo on sale and it shoots it well.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 10:13:45 AM »
That is A thumper Chris. I know Roger had 1 in 338 as well. He told me he had a hard time reloading for his as well. I forget what he used in it. But it was factory ammo.
Mark

Grouchy

• Let those without sin cast the first stone
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 10:48:56 AM »
The BAR I had was picky as hell. Glad it's working out!

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 03:35:32 PM »
That is A thumper Chris. I know Roger had 1 in 338 as well. He told me he had a hard time reloading for his as well. I forget what he used in it. But it was factory ammo.

He used 250 grain Remington Green box. He is one of the reasons I got it. Told him about it and he was all giddy.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 07:40:03 AM »
Oh ya Chris. Roger loved his Bar. Always took it back home deer hunting. Most people don't understand deer hunting with A 338 win mag. But it's slow enough where it's not going to blow the deer apart. But will penetrate like crazy.
I read an article it's a popular deer cartridge in grizzly country in Montana and Wyoming.  For obvious reasons.
But here in MI. It's the 30-06
Mark

Buckleman

• B-MAN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 10:15:01 AM »
I asked an old gunsmith one time what he used on deer. He said I use a 375h&h. I said don't that tear up everything. He said no. It just puts a big hole right threw, with hardly any meat damage.