Spike Camp

Back Country T.I. Recoil pad problem

• View Profile
Re: Back Country T.I. Recoil pad problem
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2020, 03:50:39 PM »
In my typical 70+ humidity, storing a $3500+ rifle barrel down is asking for problems. Change the pad? No thanks!

I can see where this could be problem. But not to worry if buy one, you can stir it at my house. 😎
Mike

Grouchy

• Let those without sin cast the first stone
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2020, 03:57:37 PM »
In my typical 70+ humidity, storing a $3500+ rifle barrel down is asking for problems. Change the pad? No thanks!

I can see where this could be problem. But not to worry if buy one, you can stir it at my house. 😎

Funniest thing you ever posted! LOL!

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2020, 04:03:55 PM »

Funniest thing you ever posted! LOL!

I do try, glad you liked it 😎
Mike

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2020, 04:19:28 PM »
+1 Kevin you  can store it with me. ;D ;D
Good Hunting And Shooting To all
Derrill

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2020, 08:27:49 PM »
Just curious (because I live in a very dry climate), why does a high humidity climate create problems with storing a rifle muzzle down?
JK

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2020, 01:53:18 AM »
I guess it depends on how you approach things, but there could be ways to prevent ill effects if no airflow is a worry. I've also seen many stocks ruined by oil seeping back into the wood from rifles stored recoilpad down. Of course they were over oiled...

I can recommend Bore Stores for storing in humid climates and for safes that are very full to prevent dings from other rifles.

A friend of mine stored the rifles muzzle down with each muzzle in a little pill bottle of oil.

By the way, I run a dehumidifier in the more humid months and switch it on from time to time in the dry months too.

A soft pad under a recoil pad goes a long way towards preventing damage too and I would certainly recommend at least that.
I shoot cases with a belt because I feel the other cartridges need to pull their trousers up.

Grouchy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2020, 02:55:44 AM »
Humidity is 85% right now.  The a/c deals with it pretty well but I am less than a mile from the Atlantic. Salt air is a real rust starter. I would think storing them barrel down would impede the air flow from the dehumidifier. The bottom of my safe has a hard foam pad to protect the stocks that would add to the lack of circulation.  :)

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2020, 04:13:40 AM »
Ahhh...ok. So youíre worried about corrosion on the crown of the barrel?

I hadnít thought about that, but our humidity is so low, corrosion is not an issue in Wyoming.
JK

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2020, 06:11:31 AM »
Humidity is 85% right now.  The a/c deals with it pretty well but I am less than a mile from the Atlantic. Salt air is a real rust starter. I would think storing them barrel down would impede the air flow from the dehumidifier. The bottom of my safe has a hard foam pad to protect the stocks that would add to the lack of circulation.  :)

Do you store all your rifles without the bolts in them?
Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

Grouchy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2020, 06:45:22 AM »
Actually store them bolt open or action open! I do wipe them and my knife collection down with a drop or 2 of oil at least every 6 months.  I do that considerably more often with my concealed carry guns. Cars rust out pretty quickly here too.  :)

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2020, 01:29:21 PM »
Not that it matters, but for those of you who think I am full of it, I will post the bill of sale from the Weatherby Custom Shop.

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2020, 01:41:50 PM »
$4,500? YEAH RIGHT
  if you get on line and build the rifle, you will see that with it being range certified and custom blue printed it is $4,099.00  I also, had custom engraving done on the bolt.

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2020, 01:49:26 PM »
$4,500? YEAH RIGHT
  if you get on line and build the rifle, you will see that with it being range certified and custom blue printed it is $4,099.00  I also, had custom engraving done on the bolt.

I think you left a few details out when listing that price, don't you?
Mike

Grouchy

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2020, 02:10:00 PM »
$4,500? YEAH RIGHT

I think you left a few details out when listing that price, don't you?
You are approaching  my level of cynical! 

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2020, 03:37:02 PM »
I did not mean to say that's what I paid for it.  It is what Weatherby said the value of it was.  My son at the time was a Weatherby employee and built the gun for me as a gift from my employer