Spike Camp

Back Country T.I. Recoil pad problem

Back Country T.I. Recoil pad problem
« on: August 21, 2020, 10:15:24 PM »
Got a Back Country T.I. in February of 2020. The new 6.5 RPM.  I have had it out of the safe twice to shoot.  Noticed a problem with the recoil pad.  As it stands in the safe, it is crushing the top and bottom inch or so of the recoil pad.  Its causing a bubble on the top and bottom of the recoil pad.  Called Weatherby.  They said they know its a problem and to store my gun barrel down.  Anybody ever heard of such a thing ??  $4500 rifle and they want me to store it barrel down ??  I can figure out how to load a picture if needed

Re: Back Country T.I. Recoil pad problem
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 10:39:12 PM »
$4,500? YEAH RIGHT
Good Hunting And Shooting To all
Derrill

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2020, 05:12:52 AM »
The new recoil pads crush easily from compression while sitting in the safe, they have recommended storing them barrel down since they came out.
Doug

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2020, 05:14:21 AM »
Weatherby told the Nation about this butt pad issue when the TI's first came out.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2020, 05:52:58 AM »
How’s modern technology treating you now? People have been storing rifles
Barrel down for ages. $4500 for a Weatherby is really pushing it.
I know what I know if you know what I mean

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2020, 07:40:54 AM »
I remembered Randy had a story about his rifle so I looked it up. The price does seem a bit high, but with a base price of about $3500 the Ti may have had other options?

Re: 6.5 RPM
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2020, 03:47:57 PM »
The gun was built for me as a gift from my employer.  My son at the time was a Weatherby employee.  He built the
gun for me and presented it to me from my employer at a company meeting in February.  Quite a surprise !!  As part
of the Custom Shop purchase, he did a barrel break-in at the Weatherby shop in Sheridan.  He did 100 rounds.  50 were
the 127 grain and 50 were the 140.  He says the 127 holds a better group than the 140.  So, this is what I shoot. I have about 30 rounds through it so far.  sighted in at 0 at 300.  I am about 1 1/2 inches high at 100 at 3/8 inch group. Zero at
300 at about a 2 inch group.  Acceptable I thought for the first few rounds from the bench.  No bi-pod or lead sled.  Just a rest over a sand bag.  Shoots about 3 inches low at 400 and still a truck load of energy. All in the Back Country T-I model
from Weatherby.  Carbon Fiber Stock, fluted barrel and bolt, muzzle break, T-I for titanium action, Barrel and bolt cerakoted tungsten.  I have 100 rounds of ammo, but hope to get load data and dies soon.
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2020, 08:19:14 AM »
I noticed the same thing (I have a non-TI Backcountry) and started storing the rifle muzzle down.  Not a big deal, I just make sure the contact area is protected (with felt in my gun cabinet) to protect the barrel crown.  It doesn't affect the rifle otherwise...
JK

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2020, 08:30:18 AM »
This is no different than flat spotting on tires overnight. I'm thinking letting it set for a few minutes before firing and it will come back to it's original shape. There are other brands of recoil pads that do the same thing (name of brand escapes me now). GJ

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2020, 11:58:56 PM »
I store all my rifles with pads barrel down. Some of the hard red pads can also stand on the pad.

You can put padding in the bottom of the safe too if you like barrel up and it will help avoid the pad damage.

I buy mostly secondhand rifles amd many from the 80s and older. Many show pad damage and some of the pads are hard and damaged by oil or solvent.

The first generation Limbsavers seemed inclined to get tacky and even snagged on some of our thorn bushes. My neer one seems better. No free lunches; soft pads will deform. Honestly they are great at the range but for hunting I prefer a firmer pad.
I shoot cases with a belt because I feel the other cartridges need to pull their trousers up.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2020, 12:33:06 PM »
I don't believe that is the answer the OP was looking for.  If I had spent that much money on a custom rifle, I would have expected to at least have Weatherby replace the recoil pad, vs. storing my rifle barrel down. 
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2020, 12:47:52 PM »
I don't believe that is the answer the OP was looking for.  If I had spent that much money on a custom rifle, I would have expected to at least have Weatherby replace the recoil pad, vs. storing my rifle barrel down. 
Oscar that is just the way that compound of that pad is. It is made to absorb recoil and super lightweight it is a trade off for the weight reduction.
Good Hunting And Shooting To all
Derrill

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2020, 12:49:58 PM »
I see said the blind man.  ;D ;D  Thanks Darrill.
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2020, 01:08:02 PM »
My assumption is that this deformation is a side effect of the recoil absorbing qualities of this recoil pad.

I don’t have enough data to say this is the case...  My rifle is a .257 Weatherby, so it isn’t a viscous recoiling Rifle.
JK

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2020, 02:51:11 PM »
Take it off and install a limb saver recoil pad, problem solved

Terry
Guns have two enemies....rust and government
OFHA and CCFR member

Grouchy

• Life is too important to take serious" Groucho
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2020, 04:15:03 PM »
In my typical 70+ humidity, storing a $3500+ rifle barrel down is asking for problems. Change the pad? No thanks!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 04:29:01 PM by Grouchy »