Spike Camp

Back Country T.I. Recoil pad problem

• View Profile
Re: Back Country T.I. Recoil pad problem
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2020, 04:50:39 PM »
In my typical 70+ humidity, storing a $3500+ rifle barrel down is asking for problems. Change the pad? No thanks!

I can see where this could be problem. But not to worry if buy one, you can stir it at my house. 😎
Mike

Grouchy

• Life is too important to take serious" Groucho
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2020, 04:57:37 PM »
In my typical 70+ humidity, storing a $3500+ rifle barrel down is asking for problems. Change the pad? No thanks!

I can see where this could be problem. But not to worry if buy one, you can stir it at my house. 😎

Funniest thing you ever posted! LOL!

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2020, 05:03:55 PM »

Funniest thing you ever posted! LOL!

I do try, glad you liked it 😎
Mike

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2020, 05:19:28 PM »
+1 Kevin you  can store it with me. ;D ;D
Good Hunting And Shooting To all
Derrill

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2020, 09:27:49 PM »
Just curious (because I live in a very dry climate), why does a high humidity climate create problems with storing a rifle muzzle down?
JK

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2020, 02:53:18 AM »
I guess it depends on how you approach things, but there could be ways to prevent ill effects if no airflow is a worry. I've also seen many stocks ruined by oil seeping back into the wood from rifles stored recoilpad down. Of course they were over oiled...

I can recommend Bore Stores for storing in humid climates and for safes that are very full to prevent dings from other rifles.

A friend of mine stored the rifles muzzle down with each muzzle in a little pill bottle of oil.

By the way, I run a dehumidifier in the more humid months and switch it on from time to time in the dry months too.

A soft pad under a recoil pad goes a long way towards preventing damage too and I would certainly recommend at least that.
I shoot cases with a belt because I feel the other cartridges need to pull their trousers up.

Grouchy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2020, 03:55:44 AM »
Humidity is 85% right now.  The a/c deals with it pretty well but I am less than a mile from the Atlantic. Salt air is a real rust starter. I would think storing them barrel down would impede the air flow from the dehumidifier. The bottom of my safe has a hard foam pad to protect the stocks that would add to the lack of circulation.  :)

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2020, 05:13:40 AM »
Ahhh...ok. So you’re worried about corrosion on the crown of the barrel?

I hadn’t thought about that, but our humidity is so low, corrosion is not an issue in Wyoming.
JK

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2020, 07:11:31 AM »
Humidity is 85% right now.  The a/c deals with it pretty well but I am less than a mile from the Atlantic. Salt air is a real rust starter. I would think storing them barrel down would impede the air flow from the dehumidifier. The bottom of my safe has a hard foam pad to protect the stocks that would add to the lack of circulation.  :)

Do you store all your rifles without the bolts in them?
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

Grouchy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2020, 07:45:22 AM »
Actually store them bolt open or action open! I do wipe them and my knife collection down with a drop or 2 of oil at least every 6 months.  I do that considerably more often with my concealed carry guns. Cars rust out pretty quickly here too.  :)

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2020, 02:29:21 PM »
Not that it matters, but for those of you who think I am full of it, I will post the bill of sale from the Weatherby Custom Shop.

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2020, 02:41:50 PM »
$4,500? YEAH RIGHT
  if you get on line and build the rifle, you will see that with it being range certified and custom blue printed it is $4,099.00  I also, had custom engraving done on the bolt.

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2020, 02:49:26 PM »
$4,500? YEAH RIGHT
  if you get on line and build the rifle, you will see that with it being range certified and custom blue printed it is $4,099.00  I also, had custom engraving done on the bolt.

I think you left a few details out when listing that price, don't you?
Mike

Grouchy

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2020, 03:10:00 PM »
$4,500? YEAH RIGHT

I think you left a few details out when listing that price, don't you?
You are approaching  my level of cynical! 

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2020, 04:37:02 PM »
I did not mean to say that's what I paid for it.  It is what Weatherby said the value of it was.  My son at the time was a Weatherby employee and built the gun for me as a gift from my employer