Spike Camp

getting started Antelope Hunting

getting started Antelope Hunting
« on: September 08, 2020, 04:42:51 AM »
Good Morning Guys,
Ive hunter Michigan all of my life, mostly Whitetail Deer, Small Game & Birds. Ive hunted Mullies out west, But my question is how do I start hunting Antelope in Wyoming? I read that Wyoming is the place to go.
I dont really know the areas to go to in Wyoming, or if I should hire a guide and just pay the big money. I would really like to do it myself. I could use your constructive advice.
Thanks,

Re: getting started Antelope Hunting
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2020, 06:03:12 PM »
The hardest part of antelope hunting is drawing the tag.
Wyoming has a lot of public BLM land but those units can be harder to draw.
Check the F&G website for draw and harvest statistics.

Good optics and an accurate, flat shooting rifle help, although many antelope are killed by bow hunters every year.

I like to sit on a high point and glass to spot them, then stalk in for the shot.  In 40+ years of hunting them, I've never been skunked, and I've only had to shoot a couple at over 300 yards.

Practice shooting out to 300 yds a lot before you go.

Keep the meat cool and clean and it is excellent eating.

Good luck
NRA Endowment Life Member

Re: getting started Antelope Hunting
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2020, 08:12:09 AM »
The biggest enemy of antelope meat is heat.  Hunting is usually started by the third week in September and daytime temps are usually in the high 70's or hotter.  I always skin the goat as soon as I dress it.  I also carry a blue tarp to lay it on and a block of ice in the cooler to place in the body cavity.  I've been told that I don't need to go to such extremes but I have never lost an animal to spoilage nor had soured meat.