Spike Camp

Officer Down

musicman

• View Profile
Officer Down
« on: September 15, 2020, 02:44:48 AM »
      Not recently, but rather 32 or so years ago.   I am posting this in regards to the Kenosha Shooting, and also the recent ambush of the two officers in L.A.   Some people and especially the media, just do not realize how EASY it is for a Law Enforcement Officer to lose his life in the line of duty.     The officer down 32 or so years ago, his name was "Gene" Heimann.    He was a Deputy Sheriff.    He was my friend.   Prior to becoming an officer, he was the sound engineer for a popular local dance band Texas Pride.   We crossed paths often, and he would stop by my house on occasion.     He also was an EMS tech and a fireman in Fort Bend County for a number of years.   Fort Bend County is just South West of Houston.       After working alongside Law Enforcement Officers for a number of years, Gene decided to become one himself a couple of years later.   He went through the academy, and became a Sheriff's Deputy for Fort Bend County.   He would still stop and visit my wife and I on occasion when he was passing through our area.     He was killed in the line of duty on the day that my daughter Bonnie was born, March 21st, 1988.   He was thirty six years old.  We were having some complications at the hospital in Austin, and I was unable to attend his funeral, but several thousand other people did.   The suspect that he had stopped, had his pistol concealed in a potato chip bag.   I will need to remember that concealment method.   Who would have thought, a pistol in a potato chip bag.     I guess it fooled my friend.
      These JACKASSES protesting the police, ESPECIALLY these POMPOUS PRICK MILLIONAIRE ATHLETES THAT SQUAT FOR THE NATIONAL ANTHEM, have absolutely NO CLUE as to what law enforcement officers have to deal with on a daily basis.      Gene left a wife and two little girls.   I have pasted his official "write up" below.   His photograph did not come through though.   If you check the link address, his photo is there.    During his "music career," he was a bit more...... "musician looking."   He did "clean up" well though when he became an officer.      "Concealed in a potato chip bag."     MM

Deputy Sheriff Eugene James Heimann | Fort Bend County Sheriff's Office, Texas

End of Watch Monday, March 21, 1988

EUGENE JAMES HEIMANN
Deputy Sheriff Eugene Heimann was shot and killed while attempting to arrest a burglary suspect.

During the encounter the suspect pulled a pistol from a potato chip bag and shot Deputy Heimann in the face. The suspect then stole his cruiser but was apprehended a short time later.

The man was convicted of murder and sentenced to death. He was later granted a new trial, during which he plead guilty to capital murder and received three life sentences.

Deputy Heimann had served with the Fort Bend County Sheriff's Office for 18 years. He was survived by his wife and two daughters.

https://www.odmp.org/officer/6327-deputy-sheriff-eugene-james-heimann

Re: Officer Down
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 07:53:10 AM »
To many officers have made the sacrifice, :'(
I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild

Grouchy

• Life is too important to take serious" Groucho
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 09:31:16 AM »
To many officers have made the sacrifice, :'(
  +1

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 10:03:10 AM »
And now they get spit on (or much worse) for it. Sure, there's a few bad apples (which applies to any profession) but the current situation is shameful.
Come and take it.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 10:19:46 AM »
What do you think would happen if we all banded together after they catch that son of a bitch and made a run on that town's stores,and burned a few down all in the name of justice for them cops?
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 10:34:03 AM »
I actually live in Fort Bend County. One of my closer friends is a Commander with the Fort Bend Sheriff's office.
Come and take it.

musicman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2020, 12:12:10 AM »
TexWeatherby, Please consider copying my post and sharing it with your friend.   I just emailed the Sheriff's Office down there yesterday with a variation of this post.    I would like to make email contact with Gene's widow, swap pictures of kids and such' and let her know that he is still remembered.   Thank you.  MM     

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2020, 10:52:16 AM »
I'm guessing he knows this story well. The road that loops around the Fort Bend County Justice Center (courthouse complex) is actually named "Eugene Heimann Circle" so he has not been forgotten. If you googlemap the justice center, you'll see it. I'm not sure my friend was there at the time, as I think he was still with the Corsicana police that far back.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 10:57:07 AM by texweatherby »
Come and take it.

musicman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2020, 01:40:17 AM »
Texweatherby, you just made my day by letting me know that.    I will be sharing that information with another friend of mine tomorrow that was also a friend of his.   That is a WONDERFUL gesture on the part of the Fort Bend County people to name that after Gene.   Thank You Sir for sharing that with me.    MM

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2020, 10:01:54 AM »
MM, happy to help. The Justice Center was built in 2011, and as best as I remember, Eugene's name has been on the road since then (it was a new road at the the time).
Come and take it.