Spike Camp

Weatherby scopes

Weatherby scopes
« on: September 15, 2020, 09:24:15 AM »
I think 1994 was the last year for Weatherby scopes. If I'm not mistaken, most were manufactured in Japan, with a few in Germany. Both the Germans and Japanese make very good optics, but I've never had the opportunity to look through or use a Weatherby scope. I would assume they were decent scopes. Anybody have one and an opinion on them? I'm not shopping for a vintage one, just curious. I do think it would be cool if they brought them back, except that the scope market is pretty crowded these days.
Come and take it.

Grouchy

• Let those without sin cast the first stone
    • View Profile
Re: Weatherby scopes
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 09:43:03 AM »
My former gun store sold a early 378 with one on it. I got a chance to look it over.  It might have been a great scope in those days. I wasn't impressed, compared to today's top optics. The store went out of business.

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 10:06:36 AM »
I would agree that scopes have come a long way in three decades. I'd love to look through one just out of curiosity.
Come and take it.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 10:08:04 AM »
At the very end they had one with a dialable BDC.I have one somewhere,but haven't seen it in a long time.
Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 03:11:02 PM »
I think 1994 was the last year for Weatherby scopes. If I'm not mistaken, most were manufactured in Japan, with a few in Germany. Both the Germans and Japanese make very good optics, but I've never had the opportunity to look through or use a Weatherby scope. I would assume they were decent scopes. Anybody have one and an opinion on them? I'm not shopping for a vintage one, just curious. I do think it would be cool if they brought them back, except that the scope market is pretty crowded these days.
  I agree with you Tex, the scopes were probably pretty nice when they first came out, but over the years they got left in the dust. Too much competition. Now days OP's who ask about original Weatherby scopes want to know where to send them for repair or just mention they're gonna replace them. (it's not worth the expense to repair them, unless you just have to have an original scope with a particular rifle)
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2020, 07:44:04 AM »
I have a Weatherby Imperial scope (4X) on my “classic” 300 Weatherby, but I agree...the optics are simply not up to the modern standards.
JK

musicman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2020, 11:58:19 PM »
Some of those old Weatherby scopes had TWO turrets on the top.  Those might have been some of the German made ones.   What did the second turret do?   I remember as a kid seeing photos of those Mark V's in magazines or Gun Digests, with a Weatherby scope, GORGEOUS light colored stocks with inlays.   I thought that those were some of the most beautiful rifles that could be made.    Well..... they WERE.    MM

« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 09:42:23 AM »
I also fell in love with Weatherby rifles around age 12, seeing the magazine ads. Here's one, including scopes.
Come and take it.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 10:19:30 AM »
Some of those old Weatherby scopes had TWO turrets on the top.  Those might have been some of the German made ones.   What did the second turret do?   I remember as a kid seeing photos of those Mark V's in magazines or Gun Digests, with a Weatherby scope, GORGEOUS light colored stocks with inlays.   I thought that those were some of the most beautiful rifles that could be made.    Well..... they WERE.    MM

One turret was for windage and elevation and the other was for focus I believe.
Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.