Spike Camp

12 gauge and 20 gauge shot shells OOOPS!!!

eford

• View Profile
12 gauge and 20 gauge shot shells OOOPS!!!
« on: September 16, 2020, 06:38:29 AM »
I know we have seen this before, unfortunately, but it is bird season again and all hunters afield can be reminded about the dangers of having two open boxes of different gauge shot shells. I have no idea when the accident in the picture occurred or what the injuries were.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

Grouchy

• Let those without sin cast the first stone
    • View Profile
Re: 12 gauge and 20 gauge shot shells OOOPS!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 07:15:23 AM »
I've heard of this before. I assume somebody is totally color blind to do this as the shells are obviously different colors for this reason. It is a guy as color blindness is almost unheard of in women.  :)  Good post! 

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 09:16:31 AM »
I hate to sound arrogant, but damn, I guess you just can't fix stupid. Can't imagine paying even the slightest bit of attention and this happening. The shell disappears down the barrel, on top of being way smaller and yellow instead of red at loading time. Even in the dark, you would hear it. I could maybe see something like a .300 Winchester and a .300 Weatherby maybe getting mixed in poor lighting or something, but this... geez.
Come and take it.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 10:14:40 AM »
I know we have seen this before, unfortunately, but it is bird season again and all hunters afield can be reminded about the dangers of having two open boxes of different gauge shot shells. I have no idea when the accident in the picture occurred or what the injuries were.
       Many hunters shoot both 20/12 gauge shotguns during the same bird season.(doves for me) I shoot the old pump 12ga. pretty well, but also enjoy shooting my old Win. breech open single shot 20 gauge. This is just a guess, but the above accident could have happened by leaving 20 or 12 gauge shells in your shooting vest, then switching shotguns without emptying your vest of the original shot shells used. When the birds are flying good and fast, in the heat of the moment, you are trying to load as quickly as possible and may not feel the difference in the size of the shells. In the heat of the moment is when Shit Happens. It's the kind of mistake that could cost you you're eyesight or your life. (Not being arrogant or making excuses either) There's no room for error in any shooting sport.
DosEquisShooter

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 11:50:21 AM »
Yep you could easily never see the color difference if loading from your pocket or vest and pushing in magazine.I would think I would feel the difference in size,but when the dove hunting is hot and heavy right before dusk it could easily be done.
Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

Grouchy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2020, 12:16:55 PM »
I'm glad I'm not hunting with you 2! Somebody shoot the dog by accident?  LOL! I have hunted doves and quail a bunch and never saw this happen! I thought you could do the same with 16 and 28 gauge. maybe 10 and 12?

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2020, 06:23:35 PM »
I don't own anything but 12's so it wouldn't happen to me,but I can see how it could happen.I can load my gun by feel.Don't have to look at shell,or mag when putting in mag
Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2020, 07:51:01 PM »
Yep you could easily never see the color difference if loading from your pocket or vest and pushing in magazine.I would think I would feel the difference in size,but when the dove hunting is hot and heavy right before dusk it could easily be done.
+1     Just a theory on how the above pictured accident could have happened, but you could lose a dog or a friend on a bird hunt if you were Dick Cheney.  ::)   
DosEquisShooter

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2020, 09:37:21 PM »
Have you ever heard the saying "I'd rather go hunting with Cheney than take a ride with a Kennedy"?
Remember 10534

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2020, 09:43:07 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
DosEquisShooter

Grouchy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2020, 03:23:43 AM »
John Wayne did the same thing as Cheney. He shot Ward Bond. When Bond died much later, he left John Wayne his shotgun.  :)

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2020, 06:14:58 AM »
A year ago I taught a firearms safety class as part of an agricultural and outdoor safety seminar for a several area schools. The local game warden loaned me his safety orange spotted long guns. The most interesting piece was the formerly working shotgun missing a few pieces due to a smaller case down the barrel, probably just like what was in the picture. The kids eyes sure got big when they heard how the shotgun was broke and wanted to know what happened to the shooter. I donít remember what I said but they could change their name to Lefty or Lucky.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.